PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    The main thing that attracted me to them, apart from the price of course, was that the rims were cut straight across rather than having a 'rolled' edge. Yonks ago a wine snob friend told me that you should not drink good red wine from a rolled edge glass as the rolled edge does not direct the wine to the correct taste receptors on the tongue. Dunno how true it is but I have never forgotten it and have hated drinking from rolled edge glasses ever since. :o
    Your friend gave good advice. :)

I love good quality wine glasses, in fact good glasses of any type. I have a fab highball glass that I have the odd G&T in and OH has a double old-fashioned whisky glass that cost me an arm and a leg over 30 years ago.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That is a very pretty jacket Polly, I love the colours. Just the sort of thing I would wear.

There was a food programme on recently where they had people drinking red and white wine out of different shaped glasses to show how it altered the taste. They explained how different shaped glasses funnel the wine onto different parts of your mouth and therefore onto different taste receptors - it was fascinating.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    That is a very pretty jacket Polly, I love the colours. Just the sort of thing I would wear.

There was a food programme on recently where they had people drinking red and white wine out of different shaped glasses to show how it altered the taste. They explained how different shaped glasses funnel the wine onto different parts of your mouth and therefore onto different taste receptors - it was fascinating.
    I saw that too, it was fascinating about the 'tipping your head back' to get the wine to the taste buds on the side of your tongue.
    Might it have been on This Morning?
    I watch so many foodie programmes that I find it hard to remember what I've watched.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, not This Morning as I would have been at work. Possibly the Tom Kerridge one? (I watch so many foodie programmes that I never remember them either!)
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I saw that too, it was fascinating about the 'tipping your head back' to get the wine to the taste buds on the side of your tongue.
    Might it have been on This Morning?
    I watch so many foodie programmes that I find it hard to remember what I've watched.

Oh rats...missed that, would have liked to see it. Don't suppose anyone could pin it down further than 'This Morning' and 'recently'? :p

P.S. Not 'This Morning then' :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Oh rats...missed that, would have liked to see it. Don't suppose anyone could pin it down further than 'This Morning' and 'recently'? :p

P.S. Not 'This Morning then' :rotfl:
    No I can't - and it's going to drive me crazy thinking about it. :mad:

I can see the different glasses and I can see the wine-knowledge guy.
    But that's as far as I can get (at the moment).

I might have to retrieve last week's TV Times from the bin and go through it. :rotfl:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe the Wine Show on C5?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that Miro - I knew wine should always be served in clear glasses but didn't know about the rolled rims. I have inherited beautiful sets of cut glass and just checked - they all have straight rims!! Phew ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Miró
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Maybe the Wine Show on C5?

Checked all the pre episode yadayadayada's for the current series and nothing there....oh well!
  • Miró
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Your friend gave good advice. :)

I love good quality wine glasses, in fact good glasses of any type. I have a fab highball glass that I have the odd G&T in and OH has a double old-fashioned whisky glass that cost me an arm and a leg over 30 years ago.
    silvasava wrote: »
    Thanks for that Miro - I knew wine should always be served in clear glasses but didn't know about the rolled rims. I have inherited beautiful sets of cut glass and just checked - they all have straight rims!! Phew ;)

I too have inherited a set of crystal stemware but very rarely use any of it. Instead I have what i call my 'kitchen glasses', odds and ends of charity shop finds, some antique and some modern but all brilliant quality and costing just pennies, (and not a rolled edge in sight!), that I use for myself when having the odd G & T or glass of vino. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure