PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought a house, Really regret doing it.

Options

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IMO "meditation" and "apps on a phone" are a contradiction.

Oh Cripes! Crikey! I actually have to agree with Crashy!

I am... mortified! :o
  • wantonnoodle
    Options
    I would beg to differ. I had a subscription with Headspace.com for a few months while I was struggling with stress last year, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The guy who does it (Andy I think) has a really relaxing voice, and is a practicing Buddhist monk.

There is a free "Take 10" series, and if you complete this and take out a subscription, there are specific mindfulness exercises for different scenarios.

Don't criticise it until you've tried it. There have been several times when I've had episodes of mild depression/anxiety (I'm a natural born worrier) and sometimes taking some time out to focus on me and the here and now, rather than everything around me has stopped me from progressing to the point of needing to see someone for professional help. I am fully aware that a lot of cases are a lot more serious and complex, however I feel that with mental health problems, it is well worth trying every option available to you, whether that be talking, reading or listening to/participating in guided meditations.

I really hope you find the help you need and find some inner peace soon.
  • Ray_Singh-Blue
    Options
    I think people are often happiest when they live in the geographical centre of their daily lives.

If you decide that you want to move back into your old town, can't blame you. That's about deciding what you want, and why.

Then there's the issue of how you achieve what you want with the best financial outcome- a good topic to discuss on MSE
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I know two families who moved away and moved back as they were unhappy in the new place.

One moved back to a house in the same cul de sac they had left.

The other moved to a house in the same estate that they had left.

Both were very happy after moving back.
  • Ali03
    Ali03 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel this way. I suffer from anxiety and depression and know how difficult it can be. Was the house buying process particularly stressful for you? If so maybe this is the aftermath, you associate the house with the stress you endured during the process and now resent it. Some people just can't stand to feel lonely/isolated/the silence. You stop to think when things are too quiet. It's a big step you made. You have to ask yourself, are you thinking the step was too big and you wish you never made it? As a first time buyer, your bound to have doubts. It's one of the biggest commitments of your life. Also the feeling of now being trapped, if you wanted to move again, it's too expensive and all the sacrifices you would have to make. All this thought process is adding to and fueling your anxiety. Your not giving it a chance because you spend all day thinking about how much you hate it and how difficult it would be to escape, which is bringing you further and further down. You need to try and look at the positives, you may be tempted to say there are none, but really look, you will find them. Anxiety is a vicious circle, it feeds of negative thinking but to get out of it, you need to replace the negativity in your mind with positivity. Before you take the step in moving again, ask yourself it the additional stress of selling your possessions and the stress of selling and buying, is really going to help you.

Good luck in whatever you decide
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    LBT_UK wrote: »
    Thank you for the Advice, I will look into the village life, maybe I do feel isolated, but I just feel very distressed at the house and only settle when I visit my father who is currently living with his GF.

If I spend anytime at the house on my own I tend to cry without any cause and I can't stop. While staying at home to avoid the commute is a valid Idea the concept of being there on my own is horrifying and would increase my partners travel costs which wouldn't be good.

I moved from a London suburb to a Sussex village, and hated it, every day, for the 8 years I was there. I never felt "at home" and stayed there because my husband is a 'country lover'.

Thankfully, in the end, due to no facilities (local shop shutting, local pub shutting, miles to the GP and hospital), and health issues,, my husband (thank God!) suggested we needed to go back home to London.:T

We now live in a nice leafy London suburb - plenty of town and city life nearby, but countryside 10 minutes the other.

It's great to be back where there's some life!

Quakity of life and contentment is all important, so, if you can, I'd move back to the area you like.

You may have to compromise of house size, but I found it a compromise worth making.

Good luck.

Lin ;)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • MRBE
    MRBE Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    1) ensure there is nothing medically wrong with you. Your symptoms are very extreme.
    2) if not, cross your losses and move back to where you are happy.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    LBT_UK wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone understanding my health issues apart from that one person.

I think that person nailed it, your issue is not house related it's health related, so you should post in a health forum, not one on selling a house.

And I agree with the other poster who said "there's something else going on here" because whilst you might not like it where you are, the stress and symptoms it's not because there is any bad things happening to you, so as long as your partner is happy for you to move back then there isn't really an issue and there's little point posting here.

The oniy opinion that matters is your partners, if they are happy for you to move back, then there's no issue (and if your self diagnosis is correct your symptoms should vanish the instant you put your house up for sale) . I wonder if they aren't happy to move back and that's the cause of the stress? In any case I agree with "that person" that it's not a house moving question relevant to this forum.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They recommend apps etc. within CBT therapy so they are not a no no.
    This site and their audio files were recommended too o the course I'm doing
    http://wellbeing-glasgow.org.uk/
    This was recommended by my GP
    https://moodgym.com.au/

Sort your mental health first and then see where you are with things. I agree with the previous comment about fright, flight, fight. Sorry you've had such a difficult time.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I think that person nailed it, your issue is not house related it's health related, so you should post in a health forum, not one on selling a house.

And I agree with the other poster who said "there's something else going on here" because whilst you might not like it where you are, the stress and symptoms it's not because there is any bad things happening to you, so as long as your partner is happy for you to move back then there isn't really an issue and there's little point posting here.

The oniy opinion that matters is your partners, if they are happy for you to move back, then there's no issue (and if your self diagnosis is correct your symptoms should vanish the instant you put your house up for sale) . I wonder if they aren't happy to move back and that's the cause of the stress? In any case I agree with "that person" that it's not a house moving question relevant to this forum.

We are not talking about someone who is a bit upset here. We are talking about somebody who says they are genuinely suicidal. Seriously thinking about killing themselves.

If they are not exaggerating then surely it beggars belief that their partner would not be willing to move if they thought it would alleviate this.

While a lot of the comments being made are appropriate to somebody who feels low about having moved house, they are not at all appropriate to someone who is suicidal. The first step should be doing something to ensure that in the short term they are safe and do not act on these impulses, whatever it takes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure