Insurance renewal

Options

Comments

• Minds me that next July I have to cancel one of my insurance policies. They have already explained how to do this and I have placed it into my electronic diary thing! Simple. That way, they will not ask for money and I can cancel my DD without hassle.

BTW. Insurance auto renews to keep you covered, if you no longer need it, you simply ring up and cancel! I must have done this a few times with House, car and business!
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some of the problems might go away if you followed the advice above. Use a diary(paper or electronic) to remind you of important dates for renewals etc. Don't throw aweay key pieces of paper:-file them.
    Keep a check on email addresses and if you dump one you will know who to tell.
    Whenever I renew or take out car or house insurance they (LV at present) ask me if I wish to set up autorenew or not. I always say no.
  • Comp2
    Comp2 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    You owe the money simple as that.

Look at it from another POV. They send you the information about the renewal, you do nothing, they cancel the policy, you still have the car, go out and have an accident, make a claim and they say your not insured.

You go ballistic as it's meant to be auto renewed, who's to blame then? Bottom line is this isn't a new thing, it's standard practice.

Reason they didn't try to charge your card is because the don't keep card details, your supposed to contact them and either cancel or pay, you did nothing.

So why send email saying if you don't pay £347 within 7 days you will not be insured?
  • Comp2
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    Some of the problems might go away if you followed the advice above. Use a diary(paper or electronic) to remind you of important dates for renewals etc. Don't throw aweay key pieces of paper:-file them.
    Whenever I renew or take out car or house insurance they (LV at present) ask me if I wish to set up autorenew or not. I always say no.

They NEVER ask if I want to auto renew as obviously I would say no! Which is why I assumed (wrongly) that if I paid up front they couldn't auto renew without a deposit and credit agreement for monthly payments. I am pretty sure if I phoned an insurance company today to take out a policy they would not insure me without any deposit and credit agreement or full payment.

My filing system is a deep tray of about 6 months of paperwork that I am drowning in, I put dates that I need to book mots, renew insurances etc in my diary but I didn't need to renew as no longer have the car 😂.

Wow people are very aggressive on this forum 😁
  • Comp2
    Options
    Minds me that next July I have to cancel one of my insurance policies. They have already explained how to do this and I have placed it into my electronic diary thing! Simple. That way, they will not ask for money and I can cancel my DD without hassle.

BTW. Insurance auto renews to keep you covered, if you no longer need it, you simply ring up and cancel! I must have done this a few times with House, car and business!

I think the oroblem I have is nobody writes letters any more! Stopped using the old email address as I was just getting so much spam I can't cope with having to sort the wheat from the chaff. For a few months all emails from company's that I need to hear from were contacted or signed into to give new address. Unfortunately I didn't wait 12 months.
  • Comp2
    Options
    wesleyad wrote: »
    Depends what the charges are for. Remember this is the second email the OP will have received, the first one will be "we are renewing for £xxx on xxx as agreed by yourself in original contract".

Therefore charges could well be failed payment charges which would also have been agreed by OP (or could be for the time insured up until second email, for which the OP would have been insured and would have been able to claim, if they'd still had the car).

Comp, I'd be less worried bout the £100 and more about the fact you will have to declare this going forwards... there's almost always a question about cancelled insurance on application forms

The email didn't say" as agreed by you in the original contract". The charges I imagine are for the 7 days they insured us for prior to not receiving contact or payment or cancellation charge? However, I thought you get 14 days to decide you don't want something.

I really don't understand how insurance companies can do this without actually asking a yes or no answer that you have to select? So many people get caught out in this auto renewal scam.
    And it is a scam because whenever we have been sent auto renewal quote, we can always get a better deal even when going online and getting a quote from the same company.
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    I've yet to see an insurance company that doesn't tell you about auto renewing a policy. It's usually people not reading/assuming that causes the problem.
  • Comp2
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    You owe the money simple as that.

Look at it from another POV. They send you the information about the renewal, you do nothing, they cancel the policy, you still have the car, go out and have an accident, make a claim and they say your not insured.

You go ballistic as it's meant to be auto renewed, who's to blame then? Bottom line is this isn't a new thing, it's standard practice.

Reason they didn't try to charge your card is because the don't keep card details, your supposed to contact them and either cancel or pay, you did nothing.

Nobody asked me if I wanted to auto renew, it was in the reams of policy information that I will need to pay up and renew or contact them to cancel. Well I didn't need to cancel as my policy was up and I didn't contact them and pay. I think it's ambiguous.

I wouldn't go ballistic if I drove after the 12 month policy was up because it's obvious it's down to me that I'm not insured! That is what I would need to put in my diary, not remember not to renew your insurance policy because you don't have a car anymore! This is all back to front.

By all means contact me and remind me to renew and for payment. If I don't pay and don't contact them that is down to me. However, to remind me that my 12 month insurance policy is due to end and hear nothing and take it upon themselves to renew anyway and then write (why not write to ask me to renew) because they haven't received payment is plain wrong. They haven't cancelled my policy. My policy expired, they renewed it and then cancelled it and want me to pay for it.
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »

Totally agree. If you're disorganised to the point where you don't know which e-mail address you gave to your car insurance company, then this sort of stuff will happen.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Comp2 wrote: »
    Nobody asked me if I wanted to auto renew, it was in the reams of policy information that I will need to pay up and renew or contact them to cancel. Well I didn't need to cancel as my policy was up and I didn't contact them and pay. I think it's ambiguous.

I would say if you push this with them they will bring out the tape of your original telephone call with something along the lines of:

Operator: Thanks for purchasing your insurance with us today, can I help you with anything else?
    Comp2: No thanks thats all
    Operator: OK well I have to ask you to stay on the line and listen to a pre recorded message regarding your terms and conditions
    Comp2 OK no problem
    Recorded message: Thank you for purch.....
    *Comp2 hangs up*

Yes, you had 14 days to cancel after renewing, but you didn't? So cover continued until cancelled by the insurer, at which point there's a cancellation charge, a pro rata charge and a need for you to declare going forwards.

If it's a big insurer, there's basically no chance they didn't tell you at some point, else they would be inundated with complaints/court cases. They aren't stupid they know the way to maximize profit is to legally get you to auto renew onto a higher quote.

Yes, insurers push the fine line between good business and ethically grey areas, they hope people renew at higher and higher costs every year (and people do). But they haven't done anything wrong in the eyes of the law and so you are going to need to sort this out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure