Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    This also causes me concerns and has stopped me ever booking a trip for after the current policy expires. Let's look at a possible example: My current annual policy for Europe is valid until next February. I book a trip now for next April. Just as my renewal date approaches, a GP decides that I need a hospital referral for tests with a 6 week waiting list. I am not expecting it to be anything which would prevent me going on holiday but my current insurer refuses to renew because I have pending tests/unconfirmed diagnosis. I therefore have no cover in case of any further illness before departure.
    I don't have an issue with length of trips as in the previous question as mine are all 2 weeks or under.
    This was a concern I had, last time my annual policy rolled over. I think this is a major drawback of annual policies, so I've decided to go for single trip policies from now on. You also need to make sure that the policy does not require disclosure of any new medical problems that arise after you buy the policy and book the trip, otherwise there's a risk they just refuse to cover the new condition or demand an extra premium, even though it might be something not serious enough to make you want to cancel the holiday.
    koru
  • Chordeiles
    Chordeiles Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    littlefred wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if you went on holiday on a ONE WAY ticket
    I think with LV= you'd be covered, wording of policy as follows: "any trip that is booked to last longer than 90 days is not covered on the Premier policy". Thus if you have no return ticket it's not actually booked for more than 90 days (30 days applies on cheaper policy). But best to check with them, of course !
    Garykm wrote: »
    We have annual travel insurance with Staysure .... our policy does not cover us anyway because journey does not start in UK.
    Can't find a similar clause in my LV= poilicy. Looks like holidays within holidays are included - but again best to check with them.

No, I'm not associated with LV= in any way, indeed I've fallen out with them in the past. But I have to say they are pretty good generally.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    koru wrote: »
    This was a concern I had, last time my annual policy rolled over. I think this is a major drawback of annual policies, so I've decided to go for single trip policies from now on. You also need to make sure that the policy does not require disclosure of any new medical problems that arise after you buy the policy and book the trip, otherwise there's a risk they just refuse to cover the new condition or demand an extra premium, even though it might be something not serious enough to make you want to cancel the holiday.
    I am aware of the need to declare new conditions and had to do it 18 months ago. It didn't cause any problem. They maintained cover for the already booked holiday but said the premium would increase if I booked another trip (which I didn't do).
  • yellowsunmandy
    Options
    Re: Leisure Guard Lite - watch out for the sports cover....they don't even cover swimming in the sea! You have to pay extra for every person, also for snorkelling, inshore sea kayaking and surfing!! This made the premium ridiculously expensive for our family, just going on a seaside holiday. Used Axa instead
  • clarker
    Options
    In our experience, Travel Insurance with pre-existing medical conditions can be incredibly expensive but it's worth tring the company Insurancewith as they seem relatively very competitive
  • beth95
    Options
    Hi. Could someone give me the best advice for backpacker travel insurance please - i am visiting more than one country (excluding USA etc) and need it for a year probably.
    Thanks
  • FlowerBob
    Options
    Hello all,

Apologies if this is a very newbie question; we usually holiday in the UK in a hired cottage and don't bother to take out insurance.

Next December we want to go away to celebrate a special anniversary. We have found a trip that we really like from a company with good reviews, and are ready to book to secure the trip we want (and the current price).

I realise that we ought to take out insurance now, in case anything happens that means we can't travel. However, the holiday is more than a year away.

Can anyone explain to me how this works?

If I take out a single trip policy, I guess I have to give the dates of the holiday, and we are covered from now until the holiday is finished?

If I take out an annual policy (which I am considering as my brother is moving to the Netherlands next year so we will probably go and visit him there), will we need to hold the policy for 2 years to be covered for our big trip?

We are going to Lapland, not leaving Europe, so I hope it will not be too expensive either way - but as everything is online now I don't know where to ask exactly what our options are.

Many thanks!
    Robin

You spent twenty thousand francs on this !!!!!!??
    Marc - Art, Yasmina Riza
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FlowerBob wrote: »
    If I take out a single trip policy, I guess I have to give the dates of the holiday, and we are covered from now until the holiday is finished?

If I take out an annual policy (which I am considering as my brother is moving to the Netherlands next year so we will probably go and visit him there), will we need to hold the policy for 2 years to be covered for our big trip?
    Yes, to both.
    koru
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Booking 5 day hol by coach.....standard break 5 days at same hotel with coach travel included. Coach company sell insurance costing over £30. With Nhs providing medical treatment it seems very expensive. I know that luggage and cancellation are a consideration but don't know where to look. Has anyone else taken out UK cover for a coach holiday ? Would the more usual European travel cover this? I am under 65 and have no medical conditions.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    peewhyeff wrote: »
    Booking 5 day hol by coach.....

Err....?
    This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the updated

Travel Insurance guide.

I don't see what this has got to do with the thread or article?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback