Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thozza
    • By thozza 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 180Thanks
    thozza
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk
    • 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk 7th Dec 14 at 1:10 PM
    There are threads about the prices of most off-grid energy sources on MSE, but I cannot find one about biomass wood pellets, so I thought that I would share my findings.

The below prices are for 10kg or 15kg bagged pellets on a pallet, and are either published internet prices, or phone quotes, prices include VAT at 5%. All are ENplus A1 certified -

http://www.pelletcouncil.org.uk/consumer-information/bagged-pellets

I was surprised how much variation there is between suppliers of bagged pellets and needless to say that my latest delivery has been from Plumb Center. Price per Kw based on 4.8Kw/kg

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 880kg
    Price per pallet - 199.50
    Price per tonne - 226.70

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0472

http://www.forever-fuels.com/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 240.00
    Price per tonne - 244.90

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0510

http://www.land-energy.com/wood-pellets/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - 246.00
    Price per tonne - 246.00
    Price per Kilowatt - 0.0513

http://www.brites.eu/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - 252.00
    Price per tonne - 252.00

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0525

http://www.woodpellets2u/
    Source - CPL Homefire (Verdo?)
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 249.90
    Price per tonne - 255.00

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0531

http://www.biomassfuel.supplies/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 244.95
    Price per tonne - 255.16

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0532

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 259.00
    Price per tonne - 264.29

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0551

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - 268.00
    Price per tonne - 274.87

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0573

http://www.verdorenewables.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 269.00
    Price per tonne - 280.21

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0584

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 269.00
    Price per tonne - 280.21

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0584

http://cjtimber.com/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 1005kg
    Price per pallet - 297.08
    Price per tonne - 295.60

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0616

I understand that bulk prices are lower, hopefully others will be able to add some bulk prices for comparison.
    Last edited by thozza; 07-12-2014 at 1:37 PM.
Page 5
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 28th Jan 16, 8:41 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    suppliers do not want the open competition and they do not want to be compared by price.

Have any of you tried ringing your supplier and asking for a definitive kilowatt-hour price. Most of them will be scratching their heads in complete confusion Imagine if British Gas did the same
    Originally posted by LukasMc
    Sorry for editing your post a little, I agree with your sentiments in general - a lot of suppliers seem less than keen to be compared, although we do now have the excellent http://woodpelletguide.uk/ which does a great comparison job imho.

On the second point, if suppliers are reluctant to disclose actual performance figures, ENPluss certification gives us the minimum values, so without actual figures we can assume the worst case.
    See page 7:
    http://www.enplus-pellets.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ENplusHandbook_part3_V3.0_PelletQuality_EPCinterna tional.pdf

WHE do publish a comparison table on their website.

Although this is only the 3rd winter I've been using pellets, I've seen a massive change in the availability of info in that time, seems to me that the market is opening up!

Ah, I see that Thozza replied while I was waffling on!
    Last edited by cancunia; 28-01-2016 at 8:42 AM. Reason: Update
    • LukasMc
    • By LukasMc 28th Jan 16, 4:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    LukasMc
    I understand what you're saying about the ENPlus certification providing guidelines for net calorific values. However, if you have two products at the same tonne price and one offers 5kwh/kg and the other provides 4.6kwh/kg, its clearly wrong to default to the minimum standard value when the former provides a whopping 8% energy cost saving. Calorific values should be measured and openly displayed by every supplier. You mention that WHE provides a comparison table, yet they don't even compare energy values and energy costs, which is fundamentally wrong because at the end of the day this is an energy they're selling.

You're right , the market is opening up. I know the Premier Fuel owner and he is very much for full transparency in the market place. Dalby Firewood is also diversifying into pellets and he's for full transparency. Compare this to Billington who want nothing to do with being compared. I rang Billington and the salesman spent the best part of half the conversation absolutely tearing apart Brites and how they can cause thousands of pounds of damage to boilers. Imagine the confusion this causes!

at the end of the day we need legislation, governed by Ofgem, whereby suppliers have to provide up to date product/brand specific specifications for their products. I've chatted with Ofgem and they state that this would have to be purely voluntary at this stage, so we're many years away from a good solution. WPG is a good solution, probably the best currently available, and it would be unethical me to say anything bad about them because I am at the moment coding an alternative solution with an extra layer of transparency that reflects delivery dates, delivery costs, product reviews and also compares firewood, briquettes and woodchip.
    • trueab1
    • By trueab1 29th Jan 16, 8:23 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    trueab1
    Calorific value in wood pellets is discussable and confusing thing. For example, some companies are lookig for producing "white" pellets, which are very popular in Italy. For "white" pellets you need to use specific wood species, with no bark. The value will be, say, 4.5 kcal/kg and ash could be <0.5% (that's "Premium" quality which doesn't exist, so basicaly it's an A1).
    On the other hand, some companies could use slab wood as well, adding some bark into their pellets. Bark allows you to get more value, so you could get around 4.8 kcal/kg. But they will look darker and ash will be <0.7% (which is still A1 quality).
    And the calorific value can't be sustainable. It will always move here and there, getting lower or higher time to time. It depends on many things. So producers can't say that they will always provide 5 kcal/kg. They won't.
    Last edited by trueab1; 29-01-2016 at 9:50 AM.
    • LukasMc
    • By LukasMc 29th Jan 16, 3:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    LukasMc
    Regarding variability in the calorific content of pellets, I have chatted with Brites, who conduct regular tests of their pellets, and the data shows that the NCV is stable. And in any case, suppliers should be regularly testing calorific content because at the end of the day it's an energy that they're selling. With all due respect calorific content is a very simple concept to understand and simple to measure (I have a friend that works within this field of analysis), what makes it confusing is boiler efficiency and the reliability of stated values from manufacturers and how this can significantly impact upon the eventual energy cost.
    • trueab1
    • By trueab1 29th Jan 16, 4:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    trueab1
    Yes, it is easy to measure. But once again, it depends on many things.
    For example, you can use whole wood trunks, then debark them for production. Therefore your pellets will have no bark, no additives, no sand, not whatsoever. Ash will be low, and NCV is stable and regular.
    You also could be using some other raw material with additive bark. It increases bad additives, makes ash content higher a bit, but it does increase NCV.
    It depends on the production line and volumes of it. The bigger company is, the easier production process they want to get.
    At the end of the day every producer will have its own pros and cons.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 5th Feb 16, 10:13 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    Baltic Biogran from WHE?
    Has anyone tried BB pellets for heating? One thing I like about WHE is that they post feedback, good or bad. I'm tempted to get some BB pellets, but noticed today that they have some poor feedback on the dust and stability of these pellets. For a boiler / stove without glass windows this is probably fine. The ENPlus cert number is the same as for Platinum Plus, so they come from the same place, perhaps BB are ones that don't quite make the grade?
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 5th Feb 16, 4:30 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    AKZ Pellets on offer at WHE
    I just noticed that AKZ pellets are at a special price of 205. If it's your first order at WHE and want 5% discount, look for my earlier posts for a code.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 10th Feb 16, 7:04 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    thozza
    Balcas Brites at 239/T
    Just noticed that Liverpool Wood Pellets have reduced the price of Balcas Brites to 239/T which is (as far as I can see) the lowest price for any of the UK manufactured pellets, maybe the proliferation of imports is finally having an effect?

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2524015-1000kg-of-Brites-Wood-Pellets-10kg-Bags-BSL01234260002.html
    • WPG
    • By WPG 10th Feb 16, 9:02 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    A pallet of Brites from Liverpool Wood Pellets would have set you back 302 yesterday!

They've reduced their own branded pellets from 275 to 245 today as well
    • WPG
    • By WPG 10th Feb 16, 9:14 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    Just noticed that Liverpool Wood Pellets have reduced the price of Balcas Brites to 239/T which is (as far as I can see) the lowest price for any of the UK manufactured pellets, maybe the proliferation of imports is finally having an effect?
    Originally posted by thozza
    I like to think it's all down to http://woodpelletguide.uk !!
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 11th Feb 16, 9:31 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    I agree that the WPG has brought a lot more focus to the pellet prices, keep up the good work! It would be nice to get the historical data too when you have time to implement it.
    I checked back to the price I was paying for Brites the 2 winters previous to this, in 2014 I was paying 240 for a Tonne, although that took a lot of bargaining & in fact the load I got was short of a few bags, maybe accidentally as they came loose in a van.
    What we have now is a much more level playing field and an opportunity to compare experiences.
    On the latter, my pallet of AKZ arrived on Tuesday, following an order to WHE on Friday. They are really well stacked compared to the other pellets I've had which probably contributed to there being no tears on the packaging. Hopefully they burn as good as they look!
    As for the Baltic pellets' quality, I'm using up some bags of Brites that I had left over, they seem to produce a little less ash than the Premium Plus, but just about the same amount of soot on my boiler glass.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 11th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    thozza
    [QUOTE=cancunia;70107235 my pallet of AKZ arrived on Tuesday, following an order to WHE on Friday. They are really well stacked compared to the other pellets I've had which probably contributed to there being no tears on the packaging.[/QUOTE]

I was also impressed by the packaging of the AKZ pellets, by far the best that I have seen so far, I think it is the fact that they use a square 'gusseted' bag which makes the filled bag brick shaped, the PE film is also not slippery, so they can be re-stacked really easily without the stack moving.

I am currently using a load of Platinum Plus, and to re-stack them was a nightmare, the stack has slipped and collapsed twice, luckily, no damaged bags. The Platinum Plus bags are very slippery, are too big for the amount of pellets and are the wrong shape to stack, being like a tube.
    • Shepster23
    • By Shepster23 11th Feb 16, 11:02 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Shepster23
    An excellent forum that I have only recently discovered. Any price comparisons on blown pellets? I had my first delivery of 5.5 tons last September from Brites at 209 / ton. Looking to reorder in the next month or so. Brites pellets have worked very well with no problems. One aspect of having a pellet boiler that has surprised me has been the cost of servicing but perhaps that is for another forum?
    Last edited by Shepster23; 11-02-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 11th Feb 16, 3:34 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    Hi, welcome to the conversation! It's interesting to see that the blown pellets are a similar price, I thought that they were more expensive than bagged due to the special equipment needed for delivery. So far as other topics are concerned, why not start a new thread?
    • WPG
    • By WPG 11th Feb 16, 4:16 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    An excellent forum that I have only recently discovered. Any price comparisons on blown pellets? I had my first delivery of 5.5 tons last September from Brites at 209 / ton. Looking to reorder in the next month or so. Brites pellets have worked very well with no problems. One aspect of having a pellet boiler that has surprised me has been the cost of servicing but perhaps that is for another forum?
    Originally posted by Shepster23
    I would really like to get blown pellet prices included on the wood pellet guide, however I haven't yet managed to find any suppliers that publish their prices online.

If anyone is able to convince some suppliers to share their pricing info on a regular basis, I'd be happy to include it on the guide. (I've been meaning to get in touch with a few, but haven't managed to find the time)
    • trueab1
    • By trueab1 25th Feb 16, 3:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    trueab1
    Anyone attending EcoBuild in London this March?
    My company will be there as exhibitor (we are a producer of wood pellets). I think some people might get interested in our offers.
    And there will also be some other pellet manufacturers, boilers, stoves and so on.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 25th Feb 16, 3:35 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    cancunia
    I think some people might get interested in our offers.
    Originally posted by trueab1
    Unfortunately it's a bit too far away for me, but there will be several people on here that are interested in offers! Please keep us on the thread informed.
    • trueab1
    • By trueab1 29th Feb 16, 9:37 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    trueab1
    Great, I will be glad to meet anyone there
    • Peterhiggins
    • By Peterhiggins 21st Mar 16, 2:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peterhiggins
    Consumption
    Hi People,
    Been reading a lot of posts about the cost of the actual pellets, but I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences of their pellet consumption?
    I was shocked at how much mine uses and the company who installed it said it would use around 4-5 ton year - they've gone bankrupt so I cant even discuss. The boiler manufacturers are in Poland and cant speak English and ignore my emails (eko-gren EG Pellet) . I'm actually burning around 12 ton a year. I have a 15kw boiler, 2 bed house (79sqm), a-rated double glazing, walls are not insulated as its an old rubble stone construction. I was told I didn't need a buffer tank because the house was small enough to heat up quick enough on demand (which isn't the case). Can anyone else comment about the size of the boilers/house and how much you actually burn?
    I'm stuck at the age of 31 with a 12000 loan for a boiler on my first home and a heating bill off 210-230 a month for 2 people, a system which takes ages to warm up and the RHI barely covers the fuel cost. grrrrrr
    • Shepster23
    • By Shepster23 21st Mar 16, 2:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Shepster23
    HI Peter
    Your usage does seem excessive. I have a Grant 36KW boiler and am only using about 8 ton a year in a large 17th C farmhouse. I do not use it for hot water in the summer. It is cheaper to use electric or even better solar as I understand that pellet boilers work better if they are continuously running rather than cycling on and off as would happen with water heating (hence the reason for a buffer tank). Have you approached another installer in the area to see if it is set up correctly? When mine was first set up it was running at 80C. I turned it down to 70C without noticing the difference in the house so that would have reduced the usage.
    Did your installers give a guarantee? Even though they have gone bust it could have been insurance based, possibly?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

375Posts Today

4,239Users online

Martin's Twitter