PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Softstuff you sound like you are doing it like I did which largely depends on seasonal stuff. I will think up some cheaper ways of doing the meals.

You're doing marvelously it took me nearly a year to lose ten pounds on a high protein low carb diet. I need to do it again. DS's ability to eat a diet and then another 5000 calories on top does not help. I promised myself I would go on a diet when he moves out.

Been to the Christie again today. Not a bad journey it's always much quicker when there are very fewer students around. Nothing to report all is well for now and I have heard nothing about the flats I have applied for.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning. Wretched sleep last night. I was so tired that I went to bed early, slept heavily for a couple of hours, woke up and that was it. I think I drifted off for half an hour this morning before Millie anxiously woke me up to enquire about breakfast.

Today I'm off out to celbrate another friend's birthay, but I have 3 hours before being picked up to shower, clean shower and bathroom, vacuum all through upstairs and down the stairs and clearing and scrubbing the kitchen worktops. The way I feel atm this will take double the time available. All this for the house viewing I have tomorrow morning.
    I'm actually more concerned that I've not seen anything I fancy to buy. I realise what a mistake is to 'do up' a house to sell. I've seen houses described as 'completely renovated' and priced accordingly. Unfortunately, large patterned wallpaper, maroon bathroom suites, patterned tiles and dark coloured carpets don't appeal to me at all and would all have to be ripped out again. Still, keep looking!

Softstuff, I feel your pain regarding the cost of buying healthy, slimming food. Added to the problem is that when you live on your own it's difficult to get through the variety of fresh food you'd like before it starts to go off. Vegetables are not too bad because they can be made into soup, but I adore salads and unless you eat the same thing for several days slimy cucumbers snd soft radishes are singularly unappealing. I find that L*k*l*nd long life vegetable bags and wrapping things in kitchen foil helps a lot but I do find that I get a bit bored with them by the time I've worked my way through them.

Enjoy that Friday feeling everyone.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The word SWIMS upside down is still SWIMS. Amazing!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's great Softstuff, are you finding that you have more energy?
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nursemaggie, when I looked into how healthy it was as a way of eating I decided it'd be a permanent switch for the both of us. My hubby though is not unlike your DS and can get through an extraordinary amount of food! I've found a few lovely recipes recently for healthy baked snacks though, which while not cheap are a bit more reasonable cost per calorie just to add to his daily diet. The amount of weight loss for me is down to a bit of a combo of diet, exercise and, having worked on the sleep apnea, a whole lot less cortisol in my system.

Monnagran, I'm sorry you had such a crappy night, wishing I could send you a bit of energy for the cleaning. We're getting through such a ridiculous volume of veg, nothing stands a chance of going off. Even with two of us, it used to be struggle getting through an entire cucumber or bag of spinach and I'd have to actively use things up, now though with the change of diet I'm struggling to keep up with the shopping. I tend though not to do the same thing with the veg each time, cucumber for example goes in my greek salad, in a thai chilli noodle salad, in a plain salad with ham, stir fried or pickled. I'm pretty inventive with veg and like to play.

Camelot, I have a lot more energy, but I couldn't say for sure it's the food. I've also worked hard to avoid the sleep apnea, I drink a lot less, I'm exercising and I'm no longer anaemic. In fact, when I read that list it's no wonder I feel a bit better!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

I too had an interrupted night, but I did get back off and managed to sleep until almost 7. It rained very heavily last night and everything is quite soggy today, but the heavy fog has finally lifted.

Monna, I know exactly what you mean about seeing something that says it has been done up and then wishing they hadn't bothered. There are many I've seen in my house dreaming forays onto Rightmove. One is just a few down from where we rent and has been on the market for a long time now. The price has been reduced twice. It is a perfectly nice house and I can't help but think that the issue has more to do with most people not fancying a mirrored black kitchen (floor to ceiling) and a similar treatment in the bathroom. It probably cost a fair amount to do and I've no doubt the current owners are very pleased with it, but I'd have to start from scratch.

Last of the marking this morning, along with a few other tasks and then to the shops as we're having friends for lunch and a trip to the garden centre this morning. I'm back to feeling a bit anxious again today so hopefully this distraction will help.

Silver--I'm so relieved for you. I know there is still a lot to think over, but really that is the sort of thing they should have told you about to begin with!

Softstuff--Well done! It is ok to spend money on healthy food. I know not everyone has it, but as long as you can make it work then try not to worry about it.

Hugs to all who need them.x
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hugs SO, what a shame you had all that worrying to do.
    NM, I hope something comes up soon and for you Monna.
    We're still listing badly but moving today, hopefully we will find somewhere easy to moor for a clue of days.
    On a serious note has anyone any suggestions about CHS, apart from murder or divorce, he is permanently a very stressed eric, one of his colleagues is unwell, CHS worries about him, it also means that CHS will have to work extra Saturday's and extra late shifts until July. His stress levels are through the roof, he takes it out on me by being snappy and irritable, it's now got to the stage where it's making me feel ill.
    Anyway enough of my whinging, the kettle is calling.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hester, that's tricky. I have been in both roles - the one taking stress home and the one getting it from DH. There is lots of advice about techniques for leaving stress at the door (or in your case the gangplank) on t'internet but it is not that easy, is it?

Eventually I persuaded DH to leave his job, as there was no way of getting a reduction in workload or sensible response from senior management. Again, not always possible to swap jobs, of course! We were in a position where we could live off less money and my job brought in a steady income while DH built up a his small business.

Could you both make a living from fettling boats, or offering gardening services to nearby houses (most households have all the kit they just don't have the enrgy or time to do the mowing, so no need to have equipment and storage for it!)

Best tips for those that have to stick at it?
    Minimise other stress re things you CAN control - have stuff ready for work so not rushing round on the last minute. Ask for help so you can make enough time to do other things, rather than meeting yourself coming back. Don't over commit outside work, you need down time to indulge in pleasure (steady on, Girl, I meant hobbies, well other hobbies, as well as that :rotfl:).

Another helpful, if wacky, tip I was given is to mentally pack up the stress into a box, shut it, and place it outside. Sounds ridiculous but it does mean you have to conciously acknowledge the stress and consciously try not to take it home. Doesn't always work but helped sometimes.

CHS also needs to acknowledge that while it is very considerate to be worried about his friend/colleague, his worrying is only doing one thing - upsetting himself! I am afraid that nowadays I find myself saying 'there is nothing i can do about that so I am not going to devote any more energy or thought to it'! I spent years trying to find solutions to other people's problems but it is so draining.

If CHS is being told to do more than he is physically able to he should explain this to his employer. They have a duty of care to him and should not endanger his health in that way. Is there a Union rep he can speak to?
    Just a thought but do you think that moving the boat frequently is adding to his worries? Is this necessary or could it be kept to a minimum for a few months?

Sorry to ramble. Hope it helps a bit! Mx
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Softstuff
    Options
    Hester, I wonder too if financially it would be possible for CHS to start being a paid handyman here and there rather than working in that job. I realise though, things are tight for you both.

Fairyprincess, that black kitchen rivals one I'd seen here in Australia, in a $4 million house. It had smurf blue cabinets. They must have been custom made, because I've never seen the like in my life. Anyway, this place was on the market for years. Then they had the kitchen changed to white and it sold.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

SO I cant believe they let you fret and worry prior to the meeting, still not a nice position to be in, but hope that now the financial concerns have gone you can relax x

Monna No one will refuse to buy a house because the owner hadn't dusted - unless you can write your name in in, it doesn't count - have that extra cuppa in bed and relax before you go off galavanting x

Hester When DH starts snapping at me (rare) when stressed I tell him in no uncertain words that the issue is NOT my fault, that I am happy to help, but as most issues cannot be helped, what's the point of stressing - like others have said, it's a leap of faith, but his handyman skills would be appreciated by many, so going self employed would be my advice too x Alternativey flash yer B oobs at him - it won't help the stress, but it'll bring a smile to his face and a twinkle to his eye :rotfl:

Softstuff I have been stirfying and cooking up a storm with my fancy sauces - I must be doing it wrong, I haven't lost an ounce :D

I was due to have my eye dialation yesterday, to find out whether the thingy was anything serious. turned up for my appointment, only to be told they were running over an hour behind, which would have meant I couldn't get a lift home, so had to rebook for next week - it can't be anything too serious or they wouldn't make me wait :o

I know I have missed people, but my brains overloaded now - hugs to those that need them and I promise to try harder x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Softstuff
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    Softstuff I have been stirfying and cooking up a storm with my fancy sauces - I must be doing it wrong, I haven't lost an ounce :D

Have you at least enjoyed them? :rotfl:

I'm sure you're right about the eye thing. Even if there is a "something", quite often all they do have a look then watch the somethings.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure