PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• PepPop
    PepPop Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poorbuthappy55 Hope you have a great time and spend all your pennies on some lovely wool :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    Hi all

I've been knitting for years, make great socks, jumpers, toys etc, but my one and only attempt at lace was absolutely disastrous.

It's taken me a while to pluck up the courage to have another go and I really would like to get it right this time.

So can anyone recommend a really REALLY simple and quite small pattern to start with? I think I was a bit optimistic last time as I tried to do lace socks, so maybe something like a little basic scarf would be better.

Thanks

JJ

How about something like this pattern ?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTwisp.html

If you decide to knit this I would go for a thicker wool though. Learning to knit lace with fine wool is not easy. Also, with a thicker wool it will be easier to undo your work should you make a mistake. Something in a 4ply cotton would work well. Obvously the size would be different, but this is not critical as this is a scarf not a garment.

The pattern for knitty is listed as 'mellow' i.e. easy to knit.
  • dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I read this thread whenever I log on to MSE but rarely post but today I am feeling excited because tomorrow I'm going to the Stitch & Craft Exhibition at Kensington Olympia and a whole floor is dedicated to knitting & crochet. I can't wait to see all the new wools etc and I have been saving up so have some money to spend .. whoopee!

Ooh that sounds fantastic. Have a lovely day :)

Luv Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    How about something like this pattern ?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTwisp.html

If you decide to knit this I would go for a thicker wool though. Learning to knit lace with fine wool is not easy. Also, with a thicker wool it will be easier to undo your work should you make a mistake. Something in a 4ply cotton would work well. Obvously the size would be different, but this is not critical as this is a scarf not a garment.

The pattern for knitty is listed as 'mellow' i.e. easy to knit.

Thanks Spider, that's really pretty and looks so simple even I can't make a mess of it (probably!)

I have some Noro Kureyon Sock Yarn which will look lovely in this pattern - problem solved!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    Thanks Spider, that's really pretty and looks so simple even I can't make a mess of it (probably!)

I have some Noro Kureyon Sock Yarn which will look lovely in this pattern - problem solved!

Noro wool is lovely. I have some of the sock yarn too. It should look great in the variagated colours. Post of piccy when done please as it would be nice to see.
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone ever used an alternative to Sirdar Big Softie?

Thinking of knitting something for my daughter, but the yarn will cost £30 :eek:

I'm also looking for a cheap chunky wool if anyone can recommend anything.
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • anakat
    anakat Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I read this thread whenever I log on to MSE but rarely post but today I am feeling excited because tomorrow I'm going to the Stitch & Craft Exhibition at Kensington Olympia and a whole floor is dedicated to knitting & crochet. I can't wait to see all the new wools etc and I have been saving up so have some money to spend .. whoopee!

:hello:
    Another lurker here, I was hoping *poorbut happy* would have come back and told us what it was like. I am going on Sat. and it would be good to have some tips on where to find the bargains.
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    I'm off to the one at NEC next week...plan on being there all day!!! Just hope I will be well enough to last that long :o

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • Savannah02K
    Savannah02K Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone. I've just frogged the Debbie Bliss bolero Cathay pattern. I don't know whether I knitted the wrong size or I've lost weight (ever hopeful!) but it really needs to be a size smaller now. Questiion is - would you just re-knit with yarn as is or would you wash it, rewind it round say back of chair to get kinks out? Interested to hear what other folks would say/do. Thanks all.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    i'd knit it from what is already knitted so it unravels as you go.. it shouldn't be too wiggly if it is just finished.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business