PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2011 at 7:37PM
    Options
    pennib wrote: »
    Ooh forgot to say I love your scarf Orkney your mum will love it.
    Cuddles I thought you were just starting out knitting? If so you have come a long way with your knitting. Hope the bag felted up OK

Thanks pennib - I have been knitting for 11 months :j
    Just finished my scarf and blocked it.
    Now trying to decide what to do next ;)

NannyJanny - I love the jacket. Did you use a Ravelry pattern?

To put pics on here I copy the IMG Thumb code from PB straight into my post.
    (Go to Account Settings > Album Settings and tick the box to generate the code)
    This posts a thumbnail pic which is clickable so that it can be made bigger.

HTH

th_P1060186.jpg
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Cuddles! I will play photos when I finish my next cardie.
    Yes the hoodie is a Ravelry pattern - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/favorite-hoodie

Very easy to do, if endless garter stitch doesn't drive you nuts. Quite boxy looking, but quite nice to decorate. As I said. my acrylic was a bit stiff, be more drapey with a softer wool.

Enjoy deciding what to do next. My Ravelry queue is growing, mostly with things for little people, if that's any help for ideas.

NJ x
  • cuddles123
    Options
    I'm knitting a little purse as a change from the lace pattern and before I start the gillet in Big Softie.

May be shouting for help when I get to the M1L and M1R !!!

I notice you used DK for your hoodie - how was the guage and what size needles did you use Nannyjanny?
  • NannyJanny
    Options
    Cuddles,

Large confession re gauge for hoodie. I just rummaged in the cupboard, pulled out the wool. I thought it was a double knit, but part ball and the band is long gone. Now realise it's a thinnish Aran actually, which would explain the stiffness on Size 3.75mm needles! I know, tension square! Luckily I have age 1 and 2 granddaughters, so I thought it may fit 2yo, but it is now for 1yo.

I tend to wing it a bit when using leftovers, but always do swatch for new purchases.

NJ
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi NJ You could try soaking it in a bowl of water with hair conditioner added. I do this all the time now because I don't like clothes softeners.

I have been knitting for the best part of 50 years now. I do look in on this thread from time to time but have only recently started to knit more.
    I used to be a compulsive knitter but had a break for a few years after going back to work when my older kids were in their teens.
    I need new clothes for myself but am trying to use up some of my stash before buying new yarns. I have two sleeveless tops on the go and one with short sleeves then I must start doing a couple of cardies to go with the summer dresses I am going to sew. All this will be done with stuff for my 11 grandchildren in between.
    I think I need a schedule :(
  • Georgiegirl2012
    Options
    andymandy wrote: »
    How did you make the rosette its lovely.

Hi - the rosette is quite straight forward, it's mainly down to the yarn. I'm sure there are other ways with different yarns. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo but the yarn is about 3cm wide if you stretch it out a bit, and it's similar in texture to fishnet tights (or stockings if you are feeling a little more adventurous). Then instead of wrapping the yarn around the needle, you knit into the holes in the net.

This leaves about 2cm of the yarn under the needle to make the ruffle bit. I cast on about 20 stitches, knitted about 5 rows, cast off, and then twirled it round and stitched it together at the base.

Hope that makes sense.

I've just started knitting a cushion cover.

Have a good day folks
  • NannyJanny
    Options
    Grandma 247.
    Thanks for the tip. I had a long break from knitting when sons got teenage and knits weren't cool. Ironically they now keep commenting on items in Gap etc that cost a fortune and are hand knit type things. Then they present you with grandchildren to knit for. Come in useful don't we?
    My only schedule is to have no more than three items on needles at any one time!

NJ
  • cuddles123
    Options
    Not sure if I've blocked my scarf enough, but this is how it looks now

th_100_7113.jpg
  • berrybug
    berrybug Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hi all i am still plodding on with the v neck for grandson glad i decided to do size bigger than he needs its taken me what seems like ages to do but it is all cable and moss stitch thats my excuse .thanks to all for your photos they are great Nannyjanny i just love that little hoodie well done your grandchild will look lovely in it
    I pray for patience as strength might just get me in trouble !!!!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cuddles123 wrote: »
    Not sure if I've blocked my scarf enough, but this is how it looks now

th_100_7113.jpg

Looks great.
    Different yarns will respond differently to blocking and it depends how you block too.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback