PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Opinions on my house

Options

Comments

• Hutch100uk
    Hutch100uk Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other identical house has now gone up. It obviously looks way better inside due to all the furniture, dressing and the fact its the ex showhome. But an extra £10k seems a lot. Not to say they will get that of course. Would you pay £10k more for an identical house just because it has more furniture and a tiled floor?

https://!!!!!!/2FczHzp
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    The other identical house has now gone up. It obviously looks way better inside due to all the furniture, dressing and the fact its the ex showhome. But an extra £10k seems a lot. Not to say they will get that of course. Would you pay £10k more for an identical house just because it has more furniture and a tiled floor?

https://!!!!!!/2FczHzp

No........:)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 April 2018 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Hutch... You're taking these comments far too personally. You asked for opinions, you're getting opinions. You're being told what independent observers of your listing are seeing when they look at it...

People just like the ones who you want to come and view it and put in an offer.

(Oh, and ignore Crashy. We only keep him for entertainment value.)
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 April 2018 at 10:35PM
    Options
    Delete picture 10. It gives the impression you have no garden and have to use a public play area with plastic grass.

The flat roof design is not to everyones taste but it is what it is.

Many parts of the UK have not yet recovered from the housing crash of 2008 (including here) and property takes a long time to sell. Not everywhere is in an overheated bubble with buyers fighting each other.

No picture of parking spaces or driveway. That's a big issue for me, no decent parking = house no good for me. If you have a drive, show it. In fact no picture at all of the front of the house, what are you trying to hide?

looking at the satellite view, is yours one of the ones backing onto the busy looking Mount Pleasant Road? That would put me off being having a busy road the other side of my fence.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    Delete picture 10. It gives the impression you have no garden and have to use a public play area with plastic grass.

The flat roof design is not to everyones taste but it is what it is.

Many parts of the UK have not yet recovered from the housing crash of 2008 (including here) and property takes a long time to sell. Not everywhere is in an overheated bubble with buyers fighting each other.

Chances of them recovering now are pretty slim IMO....

https://uk.reuters.com/article/eurozone-bonds/update-2-euro-zone-bond-yields-rise-after-us-10-year-yield-hits-3-pct-idUKL8N1S15QF
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree that the grass looks plastic; that would put me and everyone I know off. The whole place looks soulless to me. I know "neutral" is supposed to aid a sale but think you can be too neutral. Sorry, OP, but I think your house needs some personality.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    IMO you would honestly be doing well to get 200k.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s a lovely house but could do with a bit of dressing for the photos.

You have to be a bit imaginative, the dining table would look ten times better if laid with place settings and a small vase of flowers. It’s ridiculous, I know, but it gives a better “feel” to the photos.

You can move some of the furniture from room to room so that it doesn’t look so empty. And some modern prints on the wall wouldn’t go amiss. You can probably buy some from a cheapy place like Wilkinson’s or Dunelm, stick them on the wall, take the pics, then return for a refund? Same with cushions and throws etc (Probably best to do this in several different shops.....and keep the receipts!)

Why do estate agents take photos from stupid angles? Some of them look like they’ve been lying on the floor with their camera.

Some of the rooms look cluttered and some look empty, try to get a similar amount of “stuff” in each room so it looks a little more balanced. I know this is all stupid stuff and it shouldn’t matter, but you just want to get them through the front door. The more viewers you have, the better chance of you getting a buyer. Good luck!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    I live fairly near to where you live. Personally I wouldn't pay that amount of money to live in a new build like that in Birtley. That could be personal preference, as I'm not a fan of new builds, but Birtley is not the best area in Gateshead either. I know it will sound like I'm being a snob, but that observation comes from what I've heard others say about it (i.e. general perception).

What I can say is that I'm looking to buy at the moment and good houses are moving very fast, sometimes within a day they're sstc. Your house looks presentable so I think the issue could be the price. Could you not drop the price by 5k to renew interest? Don't get trapped into the thought of 'well others have offered full asking price', because at the end of the day they never actually went through and bought your house. Surely you could accept a few thousand less for the sake of x more months of waiting for a buyer?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Not looked at it but reading the posts.

The higher priced one may stimulate interest.
    People can see what the place could look like.

Show houses often have upgrades which make them worth a bit more.

It would appear your marketing materials are lacking as as you are correcting what people are saying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure