PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Opinions on my house

Options

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Photos are repetitive but not too bad. Why no photos of the front? Or of the driveway mentioned at the side?

Floorplan - why do the agents think the play room and bedroom 2 are different shapes, when they're clearly on top of each other in the photo?

Streetview - takes me to somewhere completely wrong. As I can see Google hasn't covered the road yet, can't this just be turned off rather than cause confusion?
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its a boring house in boring Birtley (I used to work there, I know what its like). Its ok for the price but definitely not for offers over. I personally would take a 10k offer under asking just to not live in Birtley but there are plenty of people who like the place. Its kind of the place that people with young kids go to live in because its handy for the A1 and they haven't got the time or energy to think about living anywhere else. As such I am sure at some point you will get an offer that suits you.
  • Hutch100uk
    Hutch100uk Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. To try and answer some of the questions:
    First sale fell through as buyer at the end of the chain pulled out after 12 weeks then my buyer changed their mind. Second sale fell through as the buyers hadn't done their sums and thought they would be exempt from stamp duty.
    I've had lots of viewers who haven't fed back at all. I've not really had anything negative, most people seem to be comparing to the new builds.
    The new builds on the latest phase are much smaller in size and more expensive. I've checked and there are no 4 bed semis left available anyway so not sure I'm directly competing with the builders.
    The house hasn't much furniture as my partner and I separated and he took a lot, and I can't afford to buy more just to sell it.
    I can't afford to take much less than the asking price as I have the full deposit to pay back to my parents and I have an early exit fee on my mortgage. I could accept £225 at the very minimum which would pay everything off and leave me with nothing.
    I agree the photos are not as good this time and there are duplicates.
    No image of the front because I didn't like the image the agent took so I'm waiting on a new one being taken.
    The house is 2 years old in August so the 'just over a year old' should probably be updated to 'nearly 2 years old'.
    The playroom and bedroom 2 are different shapes as there is a pillar at the front of the house (hard to explain) but this is correct.
    Streetview doesn't work so will check if this can be turned off.
    We paid £229,950 for the house so not sure why the 'sold price' online shows as less, I noticed that myself.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It will be the council estate that surrounds it and fills the area.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    There is a primary school across the back of the house also which is 'outstanding' and difficult to get into. I thought this might also have been a selling point.
  • leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    it seems some people can be a little harsh on here buy at least people are being honest. I agree the photos aren't great and typical of most EAs we took our own and re-wroye the advert because our EA missed loads out.

I also notice that sale prices on some of these sites are often wrong. why not ask your EA to organise a open day or see if you can borrow some furniture to make it more appealing
    :p
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are a lot detached houses in that price range. New houses cost more than you can sell them second hand for. It will have dropped in value since you bought it. New houses are like cars as soon as you live in them they become worth less.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Yet it's only just over a year old?

Except you aren't, are you? The sold prices show that your rejected offer of £2,500 below asking would be within a few hundred quid of what you paid. And that's ignoring your "Offers over".

Anyway, I think you might be forgetting something.
    New build = Eligible for incentives, inc HtB. Full warranty. Choices on finish. Never lived in.

Yours = none of those.

It has all the downsides of a newbuild, and none of the advantages.

Frankly, that's not the buyer's problem.

OK, so let's go through the pics.

Pic 8/27 - the wall behind the shed. Is it a retaining wall? If so, then it looks like it's leaching through from inadequate drainage. If not, then why the ridiculously tall panel on top?
    Pic 10 - what is this showing? If it's a public playground, then how far from your place is it? Will there be ongoing maintenance charges for it?
    Pic 18/19/20/21 - what is this room?
    Pic 5/24 - Wahey! One room that doesn't look depressingly under-furnished and un-lived in. Shame about that daft sticker thing on the wall that'll mean repainting.

Floorplan - Four beds, one bath, one shower, one WC - not exactly generous, but not much can be done about that. The description goes on about how big it is, then there's no floor area on the plan.

BTW, go to the "show more" on the sold prices, and the list includes a link to another set of photos for your place. They're a better set. The front view is much more attractive than the rear view - yet it's not included in this set. There's multiple near-identical angles, yet others are missing completely.

Not a retaining wall - all houses have these high fences around for privacy.

I paid £229,950 for the house, sale price online is wrong.

Floorplans DO show sizes so not sure what you mean.

Yes it doesn't have the new build incentives but it doesn't have the horrific snagging issues either.

The 'daft' sticker is peel-off!

There are 2 showers.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    There are a lot detached houses in that price range. New houses cost more than you can sell them second hand for. It will have dropped in value since you bought it. New houses are like cars as soon as you live in them they become worth less.

worthless? best give it away then......
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In a stalled market with credit markets signalling interest rate rises it is over-priced, next decent offer you get (anything down to 200k) take it IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure