PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Opinions on my house

Options
https://!!!!!!/2FegYTY

I wonder if you could give your opinion on my house. Its been on the market for a year now. I have had 4 offers in total:

1st offer - within 2 weeks of it 1st going on, for full asking price (fell through after 3 months)
2nd offer - £2500 under asking price (rejected)
3rd offer - full asking price (fell through after a week)
4th offer - £10k under asking price (rejected)

Does this sound like reasonable interest? Another identical house is just about to go on the market for £10k more so don't think its over priced. I;m asking exactly what I paid for it (and can't financially afford to reduce price). I'm desperate to get rid of it but not had as much interest this year.

I changed estate agents in December so it should only show as being on the market since then.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is there to say? It's a reasonably attractive new build that hasn't been touched. It looks like you've never really moved in. Not enough furniture, really, and it's poorly placed around but it is inoffensive and ready and waiting for someone else's stamp.

Why have those offers fallen through?

The other house is probably going on at £10k because everyone think their house is worth more than the other houses on the market. :o

Is there any brand new development still going on?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That's a very nice house. However, your post contains a contradiction. You can't simultaneously be desperate to get rid of it but be rejecting offers just £2,500 less than asking price. If you can't afford to lower the price it would seem that you have no choice but to sit tight and hope you get an asking price offer. I can't see how you could present it any better than you have done, it looks lovely.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think it looks quite unloved and would benefit from being dressed.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    There are too many photos, some of them almost duplicates. Keep one of 17/18/19 and 20/21. Go through the others and decide which don't add anything.

The lounge looks awkward. A lot of space for a small sofa and a TV, but I can't picture a better way of laying it out given the doors.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • Doozergirl
    edited 24 April 2018 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Answered my own question, you're still up against the new builds. You've got the hardest house to sell, especially as the developers have the showhomes, the marketing staff, the lure of the even-newer house and the magical Help To Buy which boosts people's budgets, artificially inflates the price of the brand new houses and is almost irresistible. :o

There's clearly some very cheap areas of terraced housing not far far away and a lot of less new, but less obviously deprived competition.

If yours is massive then you should be shouting about the floor area so that people can directly compare it to the new builds on paper and not just in their heads. Presumably you are cheaper per square foot? Have you done the maths?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    I wonder if you could give your opinion on my house. Its been on the market for a year now.
    Yet it's only just over a year old?

I;m asking exactly what I paid for it
    Except you aren't, are you? The sold prices show that your rejected offer of £2,500 below asking would be within a few hundred quid of what you paid. And that's ignoring your "Offers over".

Anyway, I think you might be forgetting something.
    New build = Eligible for incentives, inc HtB. Full warranty. Choices on finish. Never lived in.

Yours = none of those.

It has all the downsides of a newbuild, and none of the advantages.

(and can't financially afford to reduce price).
    Frankly, that's not the buyer's problem.

OK, so let's go through the pics.

Pic 8/27 - the wall behind the shed. Is it a retaining wall? If so, then it looks like it's leaching through from inadequate drainage. If not, then why the ridiculously tall panel on top?
    Pic 10 - what is this showing? If it's a public playground, then how far from your place is it? Will there be ongoing maintenance charges for it?
    Pic 18/19/20/21 - what is this room?
    Pic 5/24 - Wahey! One room that doesn't look depressingly under-furnished and un-lived in. Shame about that daft sticker thing on the wall that'll mean repainting.

Floorplan - Four beds, one bath, one shower, one WC - not exactly generous, but not much can be done about that. The description goes on about how big it is, then there's no floor area on the plan.

BTW, go to the "show more" on the sold prices, and the list includes a link to another set of photos for your place. They're a better set. The front view is much more attractive than the rear view - yet it's not included in this set. There's multiple near-identical angles, yet others are missing completely.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    I agree that the other photos were far nicer.

Changing agent didn't help.

I think you're better off waiting for all the new builds to sell if you can afford to.
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    It would sell at that price in the West Midlands but I see that your EA is selling a nice 4 bed detached house with a garage for £235,000. If that's the local going rate for a det. house you can't really expect to get anywhere near it for a semi. I would certainly get rid of the words "offers over" next to the price.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presumably you have had more than 4 viewings? What has the feedback been from those who didn't put an offer in?
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The photos are ridiculously repetitive. Sofa from the left; sofa from the right; sofa from the middle; long distance view of the sofa. Whoever thought that combination of pictures was acceptable needs a reality check. It won't sell or not sell the house but first impressions are important in securing viewings.
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport