PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Opinions on my house

Options

Comments

• franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    The other identical house has now gone up. It obviously looks way better inside due to all the furniture, dressing and the fact its the ex showhome. But an extra £10k seems a lot. Not to say they will get that of course. Would you pay £10k more for an identical house just because it has more furniture and a tiled floor?

https://!!!!!!/2FczHzp
    No.

If I was choosing between your house and this one the factors I would consider are the difference (if any) in garden size, parking size, orientation of the rear garden and how that affects sunlight, proximity to anything annoying like a main road.

The decor wouldn't trump those but all else being equal I prefer your decor. The other house looks darker and wallpaper is a here today gone tomorrow taste. You cannot go wrong with clean plain white walls IMO. I prefer your carpet and kitchen worktops too.

Your photos are at a better angle IMO as they show the window heights and the dual aspect windows which are the selling feature of your house.

Agree you should prune the number of photos, add one of the front and dress and retake the lounge with colour in the accessories.

I do like your house but there is no getting away from it's a semi and you are competing with detached houses even though they do not have the large windows and airy feel of yours. It would take a lot for me to choose a semi over a detached.
  • Huwbert
    Huwbert Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Are you buying another house, and can port your mortgage to that?

One plus side compared to buying a new build which might be worth mentioning in your property details is that you have had all the inevitable snagging done which can dog buyers of new builds?

Less but better lit photos (brighten them up in the app and dress the house a bit more, especially things like the lounge.

Which estate agent has sold the most houses in your area in the last year or so? Find that out and use them. I did when I sold mine last autumn and it worked a treat and my then neighbour followed suit.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why is there no photo of the front of the property?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Hutch100uk
    Hutch100uk Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why is there no photo of the front of the property?

I didn't like the one the agent took so I'm having it re-done. Its being done on Monday.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    franklee wrote: »
    No.

If I was choosing between your house and this one the factors I would consider are the difference (if any) in garden size, parking size, orientation of the rear garden and how that affects sunlight, proximity to anything annoying like a main road.

The decor wouldn't trump those but all else being equal I prefer your decor. The other house looks darker and wallpaper is a here today gone tomorrow taste. You cannot go wrong with clean plain white walls IMO. I prefer your carpet and kitchen worktops too.

Your photos are at a better angle IMO as they show the window heights and the dual aspect windows which are the selling feature of your house.

Agree you should prune the number of photos, add one of the front and dress and retake the lounge with colour in the accessories.

I do like your house but there is no getting away from it's a semi and you are competing with detached houses even though they do not have the large windows and airy feel of yours. It would take a lot for me to choose a semi over a detached.

Everything will be identical with the other house although their garden will be slightly smaller than mine as the road tapers off the further down you go.

Thanks. I know what you mean, there are some detached houses nearby which are a similar price. I think the only difference is the room sizes are bigger in mine and I have the added plus of the 'playroom' at the front of the house which everyone seems to see as a massive plus.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    Huwbert wrote: »
    Are you buying another house, and can port your mortgage to that?

One plus side compared to buying a new build which might be worth mentioning in your property details is that you have had all the inevitable snagging done which can dog buyers of new builds?

Less but better lit photos (brighten them up in the app and dress the house a bit more, especially things like the lounge.

Which estate agent has sold the most houses in your area in the last year or so? Find that out and use them. I did when I sold mine last autumn and it worked a treat and my then neighbour followed suit.

No I'm not buying another house as I don't think I can afford it. Plus I see the 'no chain' as a big incentive for people.

I changed agents in December and (apart from some of the photos) they seem more professional with better communication. They are a pretty big agent with good coverage of the area. They are also more expensive but I'll do whatever it takes to give me a better chance.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok, my tuppence worth: Your house looks like a house, not a home. Whilst clutter is a bad thing your house looks stark and totally characterless, whilst some would argue that being a blank canvass would be a positive you do need some warmth and homeliness to attract buyers to the life they could lead in that house.

So more dressing by way of art, flowers, soft furnishings, rugs lighting, you really need to bring in some colour. The only two rooms that look lived in are the first child's bedroom and the bathroom, all the rest look temporary.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    It's a nice enough house for the style, but "rejected an offer about 1% less than the asking price" and "desperate to get rid of it" don't chime.

Drop it 5% and see if that gets things moving.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    It's a nice enough house for the style, but "rejected an offer about 1% less than the asking price" and "desperate to get rid of it" don't chime.

If you read my other responses. This offer was last year and I wasn't as desperate then. I suppose I assumed that because the previous offer was higher than asking price, I didn't want to settle. Hindsight is a great thing though!!
    I would snatch someone's hand off now. But, that offer was made by a couple who had 2 houses to sell so it was 2 chains so a bit more complicated.

I've learned my lesson and can't afford to be choosy now. I can't drop it by 5% yet but will reduce price if I'm still in this position in the summer.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Very good advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport