Money Moral Dilemma: Should my husband contribute more to our finances?

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Talk amongst yourselves guys the person asking won't ever read them so stop asking them questions.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This isn't actually a person asking for their own benefit, it's an mse made up question. Waste of time. Better off helping those who have posted actual queries.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • KenSim
    KenSim Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    All of both incomes should go into a joint account and be spent on the whole family. I think separate accounts shows a lack of trust in the marriage or ulterior motive.
  • Esort
    Esort Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    In our home we put all the combined income into one account. Both husband and wife then take out the same amount of “spending money” per month and we have agreed which things come out of our own personal money (clothes, haircuts, hobbies). Everything else comes out of the joint account including all bills and tax. Your marriage will end up miserable if one of you is richer than the other. And one person generally does more around the house because they work fewer hours or whatever but they shouldn’t end up financially penalized for this!
  • flphoto
    Options
    Can never understand married couple with 50/50, seems like they think they may need out and making plans. MArriage kids mortgage etc, one big pot and work together with that money
  • Malcolm_E
    Options
    If all money goes into the joint account, then the bills will automatically be split in proportion to earnings. If each of you keeps some money back in a personal account for personal expenses (like buying each other Christmas presents:)), then the amount per month kept back in those accounts should be the same for each partner, IMHO. In this way, joint bills paid from the joint account would still be split fairly, arguably more fairly. I guess you might then find that the nature of the discussion about what counts as a joint bill might change!
  • Malcolm_E
    Malcolm_E Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 9:50AM
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    This isn't actually a person asking for their own benefit, it's an mse made up question.

Is this true?
  • lidl_1
    lidl_1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if he pays m ore and you pay less will you accept that same split of assets if marriage fails...NO??? I didnt think so!
  • bzd
    bzd Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well if you're at home more of the time than him you should probably be paying for more of the heating/electricity bills etc. But then on the other hand you're providing childcare for his child so you should be charging him 50% of the daily going rate for that too.
    This is how being married works isn't it?
    Ditch the separate accounts unless they're transparent ISAs or Savings (in which case the only financial justification is if the savings are in your name).
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As so many have said before me on here - I think this should be a marriage, not a business agreement. Joint account, joint responsibility for all expenses that come out of that joint account - no matter who is paying more, or less, into it.

If you both really prefer to keep finances separate, then have individual accounts from which you transfer your own pre-agreed portion into the joint account which will have all the bills in it. But, in my mind, that isn't a marriage!

Have you worked out how much your husband should be paying you for childcare, housework, home management, etc etc ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure