Credit Card novice, consolidating debt

Options
Hiya,

Bit of a novice when it comes to Credit cards and debt, but I find myself at the limit of my overdraft on a couple of current accounts and with a smallish Credit Card (2k) maxed out. The only good thing to say about it is it was caused by some bad luck and everything happening at once rather than dreadful money management... but anyway, I am where I am.

I'd like to get rid of the overdrafts and the current CC and consolidate it into one place, and also add a bit of Credit so I have some emergency money should I need it. Does that mean I need a new money transfer Credit Card. I can the put the money in the relevant accounts to get out of the overdrafts, and make a payment of the full amount on the old credit card.

Is that the best way to deal with this you.think?

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a way out of it but not necessarily the best. You need to address your spending habits first.

But assuming you do that a money transfer card would be the way to go but with a maxed out overdraft and credit card your chances of being accepted are slim.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    check your eligibility on moneyclub, noddle, clearscore etc for a money transfer card, it will tell you likelihood of being accepted before applying

yes, money transfer is what you are looking for, if accepted.

but, once cleared, you need to ensure you cancel the other accounts, as its far too easy to fall into double the debt you already in
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    justarran wrote: »
    I'd like to get rid of the overdrafts and the current CC and consolidate it into one place, and also add a bit of Credit so I have some emergency money should I need it.

If you transferred the debt to a new card, then your overdraft/old card would be available for "emergencies".

You did say that your situation was due to some bad luck, implying it was a one-off. Do be honest with yourself and work through the numbers. Are you living within your means, even taking account of "bad luck" events? Is there a risk that having more credit available will cause you spend more?

A 0% MT card (if you can get one) is what you need to cut the interest costs.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    moving the debt to a MT card will give you some time without incurring interest - remember to factor in the fee then pay off whatever you can to clear it ASAP. If you didn't get a limit large enough to move all the debt, pay off as much as possible from highest costing debt first. Remember you still have to make at least the minimum payment on a CC.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family