Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Hi,
    I've just rang him to get the facts- and not the story as I've heard it.
    He started a course in Lancaster university and withdrew after less than a term as he wasn't suited to the course, the place or the life.
    Year later he went to Teesside to train as a nurse, left after the accident which was less than a full year in.
    Does he have the right to appeal?
    They've told him he only has 3 years of funding left but he never got to finish the first year- through no fault of his own.
    It's so frustating I don't even know where to start fixing this and he's gone into a bit of a depressed slump.

thanks for your help- even if you are feeling grumpy :)
    I don't often return to a thread I've posted on so.... if you want to ask me about anything I've written please pm me- I don't bite.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will need to submit evidence as to why he didn't complete the nursing course in order to possibly get support with fees this year.
  • scarlet-pimpernel
    Options
    I have 2 sons at university. One started in 2007 and one in 2009. They are on different regimes regarding the level of parental income that attracts a full maintenance grant. The older one’s level is around £17k and the younger’s is the current level of £25k.

Student Finance share out the grant so that the older gets more than expected and the younger less. This is fair. Neitherof them are therefore recorded as getting the maximum grant.

Unfortunately their university top up bursaries are decided in different ways. The elder one has his based on whether our income is below £25k and the younger on whether he receives a maximum grant, which would normally be the same. Our assessed income is below the £25k level but only the elder has received a bursary. This will cost the younger £2400 over the 3 years that this income is being applied to. Could not Student Finance tell the younger son’s university that the family income would attract a full maintenance grant if he did not have a brother at university? Our income is low enough for him to qualify.

The university’s finance department can do nothing because Student Finance tell them he is not receiving a full grant. They presumably take that to mean our income is over £25k. A letter from our local council Student Finance department showing our assessed income is not sufficient.

Incidentally this is hanging over from last year, having had to do a current year’s assessment and SF not sorting it before the end of the academic year after we gave them the final correct figures. This year our elder son is all sorted by local council, but our younger still non income assessed by SF England.

Has anyone else had this problem of unfairly allocated bursaries?
  • Racheya
    Racheya Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Okay this is getting riddiculous.

After months of faffing around, sending in about 3 re-application for my mum since I made a (rather obvious) mistake in the original application that stopped me getting maintenance grant... after finally being sure that I sent in the right stuff and it actually arriving, I rang them up and they said that they can't continue with the application because the on the copy of the evidence that they have scanned apparently you can't read everything, which I think is total bull. The woman said to get hold of the original and send it in, rather than the copy, but I don't even know if I can do that.

I've got another 6 weeks to fix this before end of semester. Does anyone know if I can get the grant backdated for the first semester if I don't receive it until the second? =/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am currrently doing a placement and took student loan for my fees during my placement year. Does this mean that I will still get a maintanence grant or not
  • Taiko
    Options
    If you are not attending university for at least 10 weeks, you are not entitled to a maintenance grant for this academic year, unless it's specific unpaid work experience.
  • rozzamartin
    Options
    Hi,
    I wasn't sure which course to take at uni and I've now realised I've made the wrong choice. I really don't enjoy my course and because of this I'm not putting enough work in so I'm not going to get a good grade so I don't see the point in continuing with the course and making myself miserable. If I chose to drop out of uni in the next few weeks what would happen with my finances? Would I have to pay it all back immediately? I read somewhere that if you drop out by a certain time you don't have to pay tuition fees? Is this right? As in SLC hasn't paid my uni yet so I won't have to pay them that back as well? I'm reapplying through UCAS for a different course next year so is there some way for the debt to be added onto future loans from SLC?
    Thanks
  • Taiko
    Options
    Regardless of when you drop out, the university can still charge you fees. Under The Student Support Regulations, you only qualify for a fee loan if you are in attendance 3 months after the start of the academic year, which for most students is the 1st December. If you drop out before this date, the university can still charge you fees however it's you that will pay them, not the SLC.

You would be expected to repay any loans and grants overpaid. This takes into account the number of days attendance on the course.
  • Oldman1960
    Options
    hi,

i'm fast approaching my 50th birthday, i'd be really grateful if someone could confirm that on this great event my debt is wiped.

if so, does this happen automatically or do i have to inform them or what. i attended uni between 1995 and 1998.

thanks.
  • Oldman1960
    Options
    hi,

please can you confirm that my debt is wiped on my 50th birthday? this is only a few weeks away. is the debt wiped automatically or do i have to inform the slc? i attended uni between 1995 and 1998.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback