Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Tingleyone
    Options
    My daughter enrolled at Stafford Uni, and started on 20th September 2010. She lives with her dad, and applied for all the grants and loans available as the family income is low.

These were all granted, and eventually she received three amounts credited to her student account. She decided in November that the course was not for her (various reasons) and has withdrawn and is now home.

We need some advice on what has to be repaid, how and by what method and date.

She received:
    SLC £969.00 2nd December
    SLC £114.81 2nd December
    SLC £1176.12 12th November

She has paid out £839.99 for her accomodation, BUT has received a cheque for part refund of £114.99 ( we covered this as no money had been received by the time she had to pay for her rooms)

We have received a letter from SLC stating that she owes £387-00 has her Gross Entitlement was £582.00

We have also recieved an invoice for £666.11 for tuition fees for the period to 12th November (the day after she left)

My question really
    1/ Of the £2259.96 that has been credited to her account, do we return the £387 and pay the £666.11 which would then leave a balance of £1206.85 ( of which £839 shoud have been taken for her room, but as the funds had not been put into her account when this was cliamed, we covered it with family money) This balance to be paid back as and when she is in employment?

I have no idea how the money paid into her account has been made up ( ie how much is grant and how much is loan etc)

Any help will be much appreciated as this has to be sorted quickly.

At the moment she is unfortunately un employed, and is unsure if she is going to re-apply to a different Uni for a different course to start in September 2011.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She'll need to pay the fees herself directly to the uni, as the SLC will not be paying these now as she's not entitled to fee support for the time she was there.

She'll need to repay the £387 grant to the SLC, but the loan will wait until she is earning over £15,000.
  • Tingleyone
    Options
    Taiko wrote: »
    She'll need to pay the fees herself directly to the uni, as the SLC will not be paying these now as she's not entitled to fee support for the time she was there.

She'll need to repay the £387 grant to the SLC, but the loan will wait until she is earning over £15,000.

Thanks Taiko for your prompt reply.

Is it better for her to keep the loan outstanding and repay when she is earning, or try and wipe the slate clean now?

She is uncertain which route to take now,and is contemplating applying for a different course different Uni, to start in September.
  • Taiko
    Options
    Keep the loan part that is outstanding would be my recommendation.
  • Tingleyone
    Options
    Thanks again.

She has a deposit account, and I will get her to move it over and keep it safe - just in case she decides to try Uni again!
  • VBB
    VBB Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    taiko wrote: »
    i still believe they are interpreting this incorrectly. I'll get back as soon as i can, however i'm trying to sort out a lot at the moment and am in constant meetings.

hi taiko, compliments, please have you had time to look at my appeal.

Many thanks
  • Taiko
    Options
    Provide roughly what I've written in my previous bit of advice, and challenge it on those points. I would suggest asking student services at the university to help you draft a letter if you are unsure. Unfortunately, I don't currently have time to do one for you.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tingleyone wrote: »
    I have no idea how the money paid into her account has been made up ( ie how much is grant and how much is loan etc)

She should have a letter stating (it can be viewed online, too) how much grant and loan she'll get each term. It looks like the £969 is the grant.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • VBB
    VBB Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    taiko wrote: »
    provide roughly what i've written in my previous bit of advice, and challenge it on those points. I would suggest asking student services at the university to help you draft a letter if you are unsure. Unfortunately, i don't currently have time to do one for you.

taiko,

thank you very much for your continual advice.
  • lkate
    lkate Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    caz07 wrote: »
    hi slc worker, im wondering if you can help cos my daughter is still waiting on her money from student finance, but her NI number is still been checked for her loan and tuition but is she able to get her grant without any of this? they said there also waiting on her attendance aswell even though she's been there for 2 weeks now and a girl on her course has already got her money, but how can she if there still waiting on her attendance from the uni? its very confusing :S:S:S

please can you help!

thanks in advance

Caz

I had that problem in my first year.
    SLC told me the University had not informed them of my attendance and the University had told me they had....
    In the end, I had to go and speak to the people working at my university who deal with student finance and loans etc etc. I'm sure they will have one.
    all I had to do was bring student ID & proof of my student loan and it was sorted. Received the loan within about 3-5days.

Mortgage free date: Jul 2023.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure