PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 8th October 2018

Options
Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,338 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 11 October 2018 at 9:15PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thank you to Valli for last weeks thread.

Each day has a list of tasks which works on how much time and motivation you have. The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week -

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok here goes this week:

Mooooooooooooonday ~ Kitchen and Dining room!
15 minutes...

Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces.. and sink.. polish those taps!
Sweep and mop floor
30 minutes to spare...
Empty and clean out a cupboard.. fling all that is dead, mouldy or inedible.. and that includes all weevilly things too!!!!
Wipe units and cupboard fronts
Wipe and replace all small appliances
Got an hour...
Clean the oven and hob
Clean out the fridge.. you do not need furry food!
Dust and deweb.. and Wipe some paintwork

Extras
  • HHI
  • Binbag dance
  • wash out bins
  • Wash the windows

Tuesday ~ brats room.. if you have no brats do your own room!
15 minutes...

Declutter the floors
Strip the bedding get it washed dried and the beds remade!
30 minutes to spare...
vacuum the floors
Straighten a cupboard of clothing
Wipe the paintwork
Got an hour...
Tidy a box of 'stuff'
binbag dance!
dust and deweb

Extras
  • HHI
  • Wash windows
  • Fill a binbag for charity shop!
  • Wipe over ALL the upstairs doors!!

Wednesday ~ Living room, hall and stairs!
15 minutes...

Declutter floors
Vacuum right through
30 minutes to spare...
Dust, deweb and defluff all those electrical appliances to!
Wipe and water plants
Wash sofas/covers and any soft furnishings that need it
Got an hour...
Polish mirrors, glass and metals!
Wipe radiators and paintwork
15 minutes filing!

Extras
  • 32 fling boogie!
  • HHI
  • Sort through a drawer or cupboard
  • Check window seals for any draughts and stop them up if necessary.. we will be draught free this winter!

Thursday ~ Study, Landing, Porch and other neglected bits!
15 minutes...

Declutter the floors in the study and landing
Vacuum these areas!
30 minutes to spare...
Declutter and dejunk the porch.. this is where first impressions of your house are made!
Sort through coats, bags, shoes etc.. are there any that can be flung? Who needs a new winter coat this year?
Wash the front door and wipe paintwork!
Got an hour...
Binbag dance!
Wash any sofas/chairs in these areas
Dust and deweb.. esp the porch!!

Extras
  • Wash any smelly pet bedding
  • Wash any grubby windows
  • List 5 things on ebay!/freecycle.. or just fling them to charity shop!
  • Change the curtains to the thicker winter ones!

Friday ~ Bathroom and Study
15 minutes...

declutter floors
Scrub the bath, loo, basins, bidets, showers etc etc
30 minutes to spare...
Empty and wash out bins
Scrub tiles and polish mirrors
Vacuum/mop floors
Got an hour...
Wipe chairs and sofas
Wash shower curtains, bathmats etc
Recycle the empties and decant dribbles

Extras
  • Clean out and tidy cupboards
  • Replace and curly toothbrushes
  • Shine the taps with one of the old ones
  • Check all the smoke alarms.. don't forget all rooms with high sleepers in MUST have their own alarm in!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm in, thank you for all the lists.

Roast chicken done, ages since I have roasted anything, enough chicken left over for at least another 3 meals of some sort.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OH did roast chicken for us tonight, too. It was the first time we've had chicken in ages.

Spice cupboard turned out and moved to another cupboard so the lodgers will have a dedicated floor standing cupboard next to the fridge, out of the cooking area. Nearly all of them were out of date. *fling*

There's a shelf in the meter cupboard in the double bedroom that's been a gritty, dusty void since I bought the house 25 years ago. I think it's the only part of the entire house that is totally unreconstucted. (It's in the old scullery, apparently the copper was still in there when the previous owner bought the house.) I've found where I'm going to keep spare lightbulbs, which has been an issue forever. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out - the circuit breakers trip whenever a bulb goes so it's the obvious place for them.

Tax return done. After being a Flylady for nearly five and a half years I am, at last, frogless. It's such a relief and I honestly thought I'd never, ever clear them because as fast as I got one done, another three were alwasys nipping at my heels and a new one invariably cropped up along the way. It was something I was aiming at all the way through the year as *the* central plank of Hovel to Haven. I have massses of things that need doing, but none are frogs and pretty much all of them can wait until I feel like doing them.

From tomorrow I'm going to be sewing, with a Christmas Fair on 4 November as the target date. Such a relief to be able to concentrate on it at long last. It's been a long and very, very frustrating year while I haven't been able to get on with it.
    Better is good enough.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I have stuffed my face with chicken and stock from the SC (as has the very cheerful feline who had the sense to follow me, sit on the kitchen table beside a tea plate rather than get under my feet and look cute).

Seemed like it took a second muffin, a bowl of cereal and said chook to get me feeling vaguely human - or at least for my head to stop pounding quite so much.

I'm therefore going to spend the rest of the evening lazing around in bed.

Night, all!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone - hope all is well. Sorry I've been MIA but thank you for the thoughts and hugs. Things are still difficult with Mum but I have had a lot of supply work which has eased money worries. I have also got 3 new baby ratties, opened a new Rainbow Unit (which is going well) and been accepted for a Girlguiding cultural event in Uganda in December :D

I have skimmed the threads over the last few weeks but have retained little info :o so please take congrats, hugs, thoughts and vibes as necessary xx

I need to be in this week - thanks Natty :A - so will sort a mini list that should be doable!

Mooooooooooooonday ~ Kitchen

Declutter and wipe the worksurfaces
    Vacuum floor
    Wipe units and cupboard fronts
    Wipe and replace all small appliances
    Clean the hob
    Binbag dance
    Wash the window
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning all,

I am very much here in spirit, life is just so busy now and I am really tired by the evenings, falling asleep by 8:30.

I properly put the kitchen to bed last night so not much to do this morning. Salad made, weigh in done, need to go and rouse the troops. Burgers with a big side of veg for dinner.

Best get on have lovely days all xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. Glad you're sounding more positive Frodders.

Today I plan to dust the LR, hoover/sweep/wash all floors and change the bedding as a minimum in addition to the dailies and dog walking.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In I'm this week...broken, sore and shattered after a rather challenging week, but today is a new day!

Builders have said they're coming today (we will see) and I've got to ring the service engineers after pulling a handle clean off my range cooker...oopsie...

Catch up later x
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all.

Lovely to 'see' you, Frodders.

Thank you for the lists. After a super busy weekend, I luckily have a day at home today, although the rest of the week will be juggling paid stuff.

I inadvertently ticked off a job from today's list on Saturday when I found weevils in the new bag of flour. And the one next to it. And the next one. Different types of flour, I hasten to add, before you think that I have 25 kgs of plain flour in my cupboard. Flour thrown, cupboard cleaned out, and apples were not turned into pie after all.

Today I need to do something about the kitchen and dining room, and I have a list of small but annoying jobs to do. And the tax return. Serious frogless envy here, HB.

I will start by pegging out the just washed towels. Really all I want to do is to have a little snooze...
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all. Thanks for the new week, Natty.

Have put two loads through WM, third going through as I type. DW run too.
    Got a coffee in bed, will get up shortly. Stiff ankles this morning, hardy surprising given yesterday's hike.

Nice to see you Froddy. Well done on the GG front.
    Excellent frog munching HB!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all, I'm in please. Made a big change as am stopping doing my paid job (typing) due to really bad pains in my elbows, arms and hands - osteopath says I have bad inflammation of the elbow and it's all the typing that does it. Going for an interview this afternoon about a dog walking job so will see how it goes.

Froddy so glad you getting more help and many congratulations on your trip in December!

Honey Bear oh to be frogless, that would be amazing.

Fayolle ugh to weevils in the flour - horrid things aren't they.

Right enough typing.... best get on x
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family