Capital One - 2nd Card

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 December 2016 at 10:45AM
    Options
    Tried to increase my limit on my original 'platinum' card today, it's just over 5 months since I was accepted. My 5th statement arrived the other day, no sign of a limit increase.
    WE CAN'T INCREASE YOUR CREDIT LIMIT RIGHT NOW

We recently let you know about an increase to your credit limit which will be applied to your account soon. While this increase is pending, we're unable to process your new request.

Your increased credit limit will be available soon and we'll let you know when it's ready to use.

It's definitely not on the statement, and my account still shows £1k. Will be very interesting to see what it goes up to (and when!)

Most bizarre timing from them, as it's not 6 months since I took the card yet, and I've just had another £1,500 card from them which is 99.59% maxed out (0% promo)!

I think some of these cards are like elite nightclubs..... can be very hard to get into, but once you're in you have a whale of a time!!

Edit: My 2nd card also says we recently gave you an increase - presumably in relation to the 1st... but the profiles are most definitely tied then (despite the bizarre way of servicing the accounts under 2 different logins!)
  • Matty17
    Options
    Hey, I opened a capital one card in May with a £200 limit. On the 25th September I opened a secon card with the same limit and closed the new one on the same day. When I try quick check it states I already have an application in progress with them. I do not as capital one have confirmed this they did however state I need to wait two months from second card closure before re applying. Is this correct as I can see that some people have opened a new one a few days after the old one closing?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What are you hoping to gain by opening and closing accounts with the same provider with the same credit limit?
  • cmc_entertainment
    Options
    Done mine via the telephone. Completed 3 Days later. Now waiting the time to do another eligibility check
  • cmc_entertainment
    cmc_entertainment Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2017 at 8:51AM
    Options
    So 2 working days after it seems I am eligible again

Top hint:
    Look if accepted/eligible, but before application, check the source code for the following crLineAlocdAmt. It will be there around 7/8 times but it will give an good indication of what you'll receive.

Proof: done a check for the other half and looked at the source code. The min figure after crLineAlocdAmt was 750 to max 1250. She got 750 after going through the full application
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you opened an account recently you can't open another until 2 months after the last, even if you closed the first. There's a line in the source for declined due to L2M....

I had £2.5k ish outstanding on my normal card (just monthly spending and repay in full). Limit 4k via various consolidations. Affordability decline - source code: Max credit limit

Reduced my credit limit down to £3,000 and re-checked, and was then accepted for £750, 4 months 0% (essentially 5 because of the dates). So my 'max' had obviously come down from 4k to £3,750 since my last apps based on the monthly feed/conduct (and fair enough because I've got a car loan, new accounts etc). Consolidated the accounts, and after hitting my head against a brick wall with their CS a few times, they did confirm the entire balance would be 0% until April so I've switched to minimum payments and maxed it out.

My L2M marker expires in a few days, going to re-check. Hopefully my max has gone back up to £4k - then I can open a card @ £250, 4 months 0%, and consolidate the entire £3,750 over...

Sadly I think they won't, as my job has changed (I don't think they wanted time in employment in the full app?? But they'll guess from the job title change in the eligibility check!). So I might have to pay a bit off, reduce the limit again and then repeat and combine from last time. Ultimately I guess if they've re-assessed me to something silly like £2k max risk, I'll have to keep dropping the limit. I'm hoping it's only a minor drop!

I could pay it off if I must, but living in rented accommodation I'd much rather have the £3k available in cash if I need to move etc!

Interesting your other half got various figures CMC. I've found my CrLineAlocd has always been the same for every line - each one is a different product so if it varies you need to work out which product is which - click through from Totally Money/Clearscore etc and it appears in the URL.

Would be interesting to see if their 'better' products have lower limits (since they're a higher tier of product and so you're eligible for less as you go up the sub-prime system), or higher limits because you've chosen the 'higher' track. If you play it right and solely chase the limits (the benefits on all their sub-prime cards are quite limited afterall!) you could game the system to pick a £1,250 card rather than a £750 card.

I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that next week!

Also - my app used something like the "upmarket risk model" which I'm presuming was because of my salary and/or job title (Manager). Will be interesting what is it now (same salary but title has dropped to 'senior' at a different company) - that must impact upon what's offered, but sadly even their very detailed source code didn't give too much away!
  • cmc_entertainment
    Options
    If you opened an account recently you can't open another until 2 months after the last, even if you closed the first. There's a line in the source for declined due to L2M....

I had £2.5k ish outstanding on my normal card (just monthly spending and repay in full). Limit 4k via various consolidations. Affordability decline - source code: Max credit limit

Reduced my credit limit down to £3,000 and re-checked, and was then accepted for £750, 4 months 0% (essentially 5 because of the dates). So my 'max' had obviously come down from 4k to £3,750 since my last apps based on the monthly feed/conduct (and fair enough because I've got a car loan, new accounts etc). Consolidated the accounts, and after hitting my head against a brick wall with their CS a few times, they did confirm the entire balance would be 0% until April so I've switched to minimum payments and maxed it out.

My L2M marker expires in a few days, going to re-check. Hopefully my max has gone back up to £4k - then I can open a card @ £250, 4 months 0%, and consolidate the entire £3,750 over...

Sadly I think they won't, as my job has changed (I don't think they wanted time in employment in the full app?? But they'll guess from the job title change in the eligibility check!). So I might have to pay a bit off, reduce the limit again and then repeat and combine from last time. Ultimately I guess if they've re-assessed me to something silly like £2k max risk, I'll have to keep dropping the limit. I'm hoping it's only a minor drop!

I could pay it off if I must, but living in rented accommodation I'd much rather have the £3k available in cash if I need to move etc!

Interesting your other half got various figures CMC. I've found my CrLineAlocd has always been the same for every line - each one is a different product so if it varies you need to work out which product is which - click through from Totally Money/Clearscore etc and it appears in the URL.

Would be interesting to see if their 'better' products have lower limits (since they're a higher tier of product and so you're eligible for less as you go up the sub-prime system), or higher limits because you've chosen the 'higher' track. If you play it right and solely chase the limits (the benefits on all their sub-prime cards are quite limited afterall!) you could game the system to pick a £1,250 card rather than a £750 card.

I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that next week!

Also - my app used something like the "upmarket risk model" which I'm presuming was because of my salary and/or job title (Manager). Will be interesting what is it now (same salary but title has dropped to 'senior' at a different company) - that must impact upon what's offered, but sadly even their very detailed source code didn't give too much away!

Thanks for the L2M tip.

Done the consolidation and limit up to £1950

You can tell by the time it takes to check. A quick checking and then complete is a rejection and anything longer is more likely.

Also MneySuperMarket always has the better deals on cap1 cards eg 6 months 0% BT and 4 months 0% purchases fyi
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have imacro for chrome (fills the form out quickly!) for checking on the Cap1 site direct, then go hunting for the best card. Thanks I'll check MoneySuperMarket, I know they had 'exclusive' aqua deals before too.

I think I'm eligible again from Wednesday (they do 2 months to the minute too - if you applied at 9:30am and check at 9am you get declined, but then again later on and it goes through!). Although as my 0% runs out just after Easter, so I won't apply just yet - just want to see if I'm eligible again (or more likely, what the decline reasons are!).

Last time was quite funny, I consolidated within an hour - so the new card/pin etc hadn't even been dispatched yet!! Why they can't just offer existing customer promos like Barclaycard (& even Vanquis!) I really don't know - it would save them a lot of time/money/effort

Once I've got a house I want to work in lending, ideally with them (they seem an interesting bunch!)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have one Capital One Classic Card with a limit of £750 on it.

I have just applied for and been accepted for a Balance Transfer card from C1 with a limit of £1500 on it.

Is it possible to close the card with the £750 limit on and have the limit "merged" into the one with £1500 on it - thus making my limit £2250 on the one card?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yep. You can merge ('consolidate' in Cap1 terms) either way too. So card 1 into card 2, or card 2 into card 1.

If you are (ab)using Card 2's intro offer, if any, then you need to consolidate card 1 onto card 2 - this will 'settle' your original account at the CRAs, and your new account will show the limit as having been raised.

If you've done it purely to get an extra card/higher limit etc, then merge card 2 into card 1 (just say something like "I've just got my 2nd card, ending xxxx, but think it would be easier to have 1 card.... can you please close this card and consolidate it onto card xxxx... so that I have my original card with a limit of £2,250" - I've used that line 4 times).

Sometimes, like anything in life, you need to bang your head against a brick wall depending on which agent you get... so I'm always VERY clear which card ending XXXX I want to keep open and which card ending YYYY I want to close....

If you keep card 1 open, then you will have card 2 opened and promptly settled on your credit file (not ideal) but your longstanding card 1 will keep the original history and show limit increases
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback