Capital One - 2nd Card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
156 replies 29.4K views

Replies

• Somerset_La_La_LaSomerset_La_La_La Forumite
    995 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure they'll let you consolidate two secured cards. Surprised they even let you have 2, because that's £400 exposure. All you can do is ask them.

If they say no, just close the Jan 17 one (as it's a year old now so not too short term) and then try the eligibility check a week or so after (or whenever their system has finally updated to say your 2nd card is closed).

As you're so close to the CCJ coming off, I'd wait until say 1st March when it's definitely dropped, and then apply/eligibility check for a full one.

As an experiment you could eligibility check on say 25th Feb, see what limits are in the source code, then do another one on 1st Mar - extremely unlikely to go down, probably will go up.
    Used to work in Underwriting. Only the lender can give a definitive answer to queries
  • Thanks il try and consolidate and let you know the outcome, if they won’t let me I will try your suggestion
    Good things come to those who wait...

House Deposit Savings: £450/£10,000
  • Well Capital one wouldn’t let me consolidate 2 secured cards so I cancelled one of the cards and paid it off, il wait till beginning of March to apply for classic card after ccj comes off
    Good things come to those who wait...

House Deposit Savings: £450/£10,000
  • edited 16 January 2018 at 9:15PM
    DandytfDandytf Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2018 at 9:15PM
    A4445 wrote: »
    After 3 calls Cap One have merged accounts, they said it would be the end of the month but it's already done, tried quick check but it's still coming up with affordability message. I did read online that you have to wait 30 days before you can re apply. Will try again next month.

Late answer request.
    I Have cap 1 450 limit 90% used
    Luma 1k limit 75% used.
    If I were to request Cap 1 to consolidate both card-what is my new limit 450 or 1K or 1450.
    Replenished CRA Reports.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    H.L. Active -Charter Savings .41% 25 u.k. pounds.
  • A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Late answer request.
    I Have cap 1 450 limit 90% used
    Luma !k limit 75% used.
    If I were to request Cap 1 to consolidate both card-what is my new limit 450 or 1K or 1450.

It would be one card of £1450. :)
  • DandytfDandytf Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A4445 wrote: »
    It would be one card of £1450. :)

Thanks could slightly improve my high usage or does it not matter if both are on the one card i.e. does utilisation balance out or not look any better-not too worry, I’ll call Cap [email protected] or early next week.
    I need to consider my minimum payment though at least it could be 1 payment 1 date each month.
    Replenished CRA Reports.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    H.L. Active -Charter Savings .41% 25 u.k. pounds.
  • A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Thanks could slightly improve my high usage or does it not matter if both are on the one card i.e. does utilisation balance out or not look any better-not too worry, I’ll call Cap [email protected] or early next week.
    I need to consider my minimum payment though at least it could be 1 payment 1 date each month.

I limit of £1450 would look better than two cards, but over all the utilisation would be the same.

It could be easier to have one payment each month instead of two, make sure you keep,the card with the lowest APR :)
  • Hey there,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I recently (yesterday) became eligible to apply for a second card with capital one, I tried quick check for the Very card and the balance transfer card and was given the 100% guarentee message. I did look at the code in the search bar which showed as awaiting result? Is this because I was using an iphone or because they no longer show this? I have not yet submitted an application.

Thank you.
  • Somerset_La_La_LaSomerset_La_La_La Forumite
    995 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You need to use a computer and press F12 to see the full code. The awaiting-result bit is what everyone sees.

Although they've updated their website, and looks like they've finally removed it... although they expect people to go fishing as there's a big "want to work at Cap1" in the source code!

On mine I just see the main decline reason now, everything else has been hidden. Not sure if that's the same for accepted applicants, maybe they still see more
    Used to work in Underwriting. Only the lender can give a definitive answer to queries
  • deedee1310deedee1310 Forumite
    23 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    @Somerset La La La. Where are you seeing the main decline reason in the code?

I ran the eligibility checker on the website and it's told me that I didn't pass the affordability checks. I've just consolidated old and new Cap 1 Classic cards today, so wasn't expecting an approval. I just wanted to see where the decision codes were.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I can see the big "Capital One is hiring" sign too :rotfl: