Orange 'Free' Broadband

Options

Comments

• Gadgetmaster
    Options
    mw2655 wrote: »
    hi,

right, if enough of us complain to OFCOM which can be done online..

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/sales/mis-selling-mobile-phone-services/

OFCOM might open an investigation, they cannot however deal with individual cases.

The address for Orange to write a complaint to is..

Complaints dept
    Orange UK plc
    Po Box 486
    Rotherham
    S63 5ZX

once I have complained to orange and we don't agree and they send a deadlock letter or 8 weeks from the initial complaint..

i can then go to CISAS http://www.cisas.org.uk

which is the independent ombudsman covering orange who can deal with individual complaints.

cheers matt

Thanks Matt, some excellent work there. I have been with Freeserve since their PAYG internet days, and have enjoyed free broadband since the early days of this offer. At last renewal on our mobile contracts, my wife (whose name the free BB is in now) got a worse deal than me...because she gets free BB!!! Now being withdrawn, despite my confirming that it would continue when she renewed. I will be writing to OFCOM and Orange, and will certainly be moving both contracts next April after this disgusting move from Orange!:(
  • Benno1uk
    Benno1uk Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2012 at 6:53PM
    Options
    I too have received this from Orange. A broadband customer since the Freeserve / Wanadoo days, I have had the free orange broadband offer since 2006/7. Every time I have come to renew my mobile contract I have been careful to confirm that I would still be eligible for the free broadband. Despite constantly reduced monthly costs, I still have had access to the offer all these years (The original offer was for £30 a month or more contracts, mine has since reduced to £16 a month and still is (or was!) allowable.)

I guess my point is that Orange have been pretty reasonable about continuing the offer until now to those on lower contracts than the offer originally stipulated (even to Pay as You Go customers it seems) so although annoyed, I can't see how they are totally in the wrong. Also the original terms and conditions do state that they have the right to change or withdraw the offer.

Anyway, I have just called Orange and have decided to take up their new offer which is essentially the same, except I will be paying the line rental and getting my landline calls via Orange instead of BT. In theory it should make little or no difference in terms of service and cost and I still get free broadband.

Time will tell!
  • passatrider
    Options
    Benno1uk wrote: »
    I too have received this from Orange. A broadband customer since the Freeserve / Wanadoo days, I have had the free orange broadband offer since 2006/7. Every time I have come to renew my mobile contract I have been careful to confirm that I would still be eligible for the free broadband. Despite constantly reduced monthly costs, I still have had access to the offer all these years (The original offer was for £30 a month or more contracts, mine has since reduced to £16 a month and still is (or was!) allowable.)

I guess my point is that Orange have been pretty reasonable about continuing the offer until now to those on lower contracts than the offer originally stipulated (even to Pay as You Go customers it seems) so although annoyed, I can't see how they are totally in the wrong. Also the original terms and conditions do state that they have the right to change or withdraw the offer.

Anyway, I have just called Orange and have decided to take up their new offer which is essentially the same, except I will be paying the line rental and getting my landline calls via Orange instead of BT. In theory it should make little or no difference in terms of service and cost and I still get free broadband.

Time will tell!

You don't work for Orange by any chance?;)
  • Janandy1
    Options
    I too was very upset to receive the letter from Orange regarding broadband as this is the second change since I last renewed my contract yet I have no rights to cancel. I too have been a mobile and broadband customer since wanadoo days.
    On the third attempt, I did get to speak to someone at Orange who started by explaining that BT had increased their charges to Orange and that Orange could only afford to continue to provide me with free broadband if I moved my line rental to them at no additional cost to me. In fact they would evwn discount my line rental by £2.50 for the first three months so a saving of £7.50. I was on the verge of saying yes when I remembered that my BT phone costs me £14.60 per month including evening and weekend calls. Orange wants £18.50 for this and as good as told me take it or leave it and offered me a MAC code so I could move but said no one could provide me at a better price than Orange.
    If you check out the Orange website they are offering any Orange or T Mobile customer broadband with phone line and evening and weekend calls for £18.50 and as an incentive £40 in Marks and Spencer vouchers. Maybe my maths aren’t that good but I can’t see that I am being offered anything but a price increase and at a higher price than a new broadband customer.
    Needless to say I will not be taking up their offer. I would sooner pay more to another provider and as soon as my mobile contract comes to an end that will be moved as well.
  • Gadgetmaster
    Options
    Janandy1 wrote: »
    I too was very upset to receive the letter from Orange regarding broadband as this is the second change since I last renewed my contract yet I have no rights to cancel.
    <snip>
    If you check out the Orange website they are offering any Orange or T Mobile customer broadband with phone line and evening and weekend calls for £18.50 and as an incentive £40 in Marks and Spencer vouchers. Maybe my maths aren’t that good but I can’t see that I am being offered anything but a price increase and at a higher price than a new broadband customer.
    Needless to say I will not be taking up their offer. I would sooner pay more to another provider and as soon as my mobile contract comes to an end that will be moved as well.
    Good points well made. This comes down to morals, and Orange have shown that they don't have any. I too would rather pay more to receive honest service elsewhere.
    I do recall though, that back in the day, I had a PAYG with Orange Out Here...a one off fee that gave 5 free SMS each day for life. They tried reducing it to 3 SMS and making it an annual fee, but after many complaints, they backed down :o My letter is ready to be posted in the morning, and I have already complained to OFCOM...CISAS will follow once I get my expected letter of deadlock from OCS. How many complaints can we raise folks? :beer:
  • Benno1uk
    Benno1uk Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    You don't work for Orange by any chance?;)

No I do not work for Orange (I know it's my first post which may seem suspicious, but I was intrigued to find out what other people thought of the letter and felt compelled to respond).

I just wanted to give a slightly more reasoned response than some and point out that if you are willing to pay your line rental to Orange instead of BT then you won't actually be any worse off (financially at least - I can't comment on the landline service yet) and still get your free broadband (which is uncapped as opposed to before which was apparently capped at 2gb a month so the Orange operator told me - not that I was ever flagged for going over that).

If that qualifies me as some kind of Orange PR mole, then sorry!
  • passatrider
    Options
    No I do not work for Orange (I know it's my first post which may seem suspicious, but I was intrigued to find out what other people thought of the letter and felt compelled to respond).

I just wanted to give a slightly more reasoned response than some and point out that if you are willing to pay your line rental to Orange instead of BT then you won't actually be any worse off (financially at least - I can't comment on the landline service yet) and still get your free broadband (which is uncapped as opposed to before which was apparently capped at 2gb a month so the Orange operator told me - not that I was ever flagged for going over that).

Fair enough. My apologies if I offended you :o
  • moon777
    moon777 Posts: 178 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2012 at 6:11PM
    Options
    They can’t be trusted!

I received the letter and email informing me my free broadband was going, that I did not have a mobile registered to my address and that I can keep my free broadband by moving my line rental on the home phone to Orange.

Like many of you I renewed my mobile contract to keep the broadband – I actually did an upgrade in the carphone warehouse to get an ‘unbranded’ mobile. I have met the same resistance from Orange as the rest of you and accused them of miss selling – their broadband dept blamed their mobile department, the mobile department blamed the car phone warehouse. When I did the upgrade I got the carphone warehouse to ring orange to confirm the free broadband for the length of the contract. So I have rang the carphone warehouse and told them the tale, I have my receipt and the salesman remembered making the call for me (took him 40 minutes the day I did the upgrade to get an orange manager to confirm). The carphone warehouse have rang orange on my behalf and have received the same tale as orange tell us – no more free broadband with a mobile for anyone unless you move the home phone line rental to them.

I have been with them since 2005, I now have a mobile contact for £30 a month until October 2013. During the years they have removed the free livebox 2nd line, increased prices and now are removing my broadband. So you sign a contact with this company and they change the rules/terms without a thought for customers.

For those of you who think it’s still a good deal to move the line rental to orange to get your free broadband – it’s not a good deal! The basic line rental charge is competitive however I have anytime with BT and if I want that with orange or evening and weekend calls it costs more than BT. Also are you aware that by moving your line rental you will be creating a new Contact with Orange? For 12 months – but as they don’t tell you this it could even be for longer! And of course this contract will not be timed as your mobile contract creating further future complications if you want to move one or both of the services in a years time!

This company have shown they cannot be trusted to sign your line rental to them after all they have done what should you expect? I would expect further changes to the terms over the next year, more price rises and more changes. They have cheated us and will do it again.

I now have my MAC code – however after reading other Orange horror stories on the net I have decided to let my broadband expire on the 15/10/12 and then sign up with someone else – why would I do this and have the inconvenience of no broadband for a few days? Because I suspect that orange will charge a cancellation fee of the broadband! Yes this is mentioned on the net elsewhere they charge a cancellation fee if you move broadband with the MAC code! And they bill you for this after you have moved. They say this is because you have moved during your contact and they consider a rolling contract which is what I am on to be the same – so I think that they will consider my contract to run until my mobile contract expires in October 2013 – so I will let the service end on 15/10/12 and then sign a new contract with BT or plusnet. I simply cannot trust a company that has done these things, I would expect them to try and extract more money from me.

This company is a disgrace, I am gutted to be paying for my mobile and to be stuck with them on it for another year plus. They have totally shafted and miss sold to all of us – I have filled in the Ofcom form, but even if we won I would not want to use this company again, they have proved that they cannot be trusted and have no morals.

Everything Everywhere – in your dreams Orange.
  • neil9313
    neil9313 Posts: 696 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2012 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Where Orange have gone wrong is not letting you keep free BB until your Mobile contract runs out, plenty of people have been happy for many years with Orange to date, Some who only had Orange PAYG & got free BB for many years.

The BB dept knew that the free BB was getting withdrawn, so the mobile dept must have as well.

I'm not involved in the BB issue but have the Orange 2nd VOIP line, thats going to be stopped as well.

Orange/BT land line is all the same anyway practically. But Orange should have given plenty of time to change your land line to them if you had so wished.
  • neil9313
    neil9313 Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options

There is/was a cap but Orange have never enforced it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure