PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So happy to see this thread flourishing again ... Freezer inventory to be written up in the mor ing
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    JensFeet wrote: »

Any suggestions for a 400ml pot of low fat greek yogurt? I bought it before Xmas and was planned to use for our fakeaway kebabs and over salad (mint yogurt, tsatsiki and tahini yogurt dressing all favourties in our house). Saying that I can use some tonight with our turkish sausage and salad but what about the rest?

Hope everyone has a great weekend x

We use natural yogurt for topping chili, instead of soured cream, for dessert with frozen berries or jam/honey if no fruit and mixed with nuts, seeds and raw oats for breakfast - I rarely buy ready-made fruit yogurts now - just make up my own for work lunches and wash up the snack pots with my salad/sandwich box. It means there is no added sugar or (worse for me) artificial sweetener.

Out for me today -

2 lambs hearts (which I will stuff for a slow-cooked supper this week)
    half a bag of frozen home-grown raspberries (to add to my yogurts!)
    2 duck breasts to have with roast pots and veg this evening.

Saturday - I opened the lurking can of pain au chocolat that has been in the fridge since November (!) for breakfast pastries (2 each - but only small :o )

We had soup and hm bread for late lunch and eat the chili for supper and supplied DS with the remains with rice for when he finished recording (a musician) - and he eat the last sausage roll while here collecting it yesterday!

DH polished off all the l/o leek and cauliflower gratin and two huge sausage rolls on Friday (where does he put it!?) so almost a left-over free zone with just the remaining turkey soup mixed with chicken stock to thin it a bit and more homemade bread for lunch today.

Ooh, and four lemons to use before the skins go too solid to cut. Maybe a lemon cake for lunch boxes - better than frozen into ice-cubes as I find them a year later and throw them away if past behaviour repeats itself!

Needless to say, my store-cupboard has all the necessary ingredients in :o

Have a great Sunday everyone - I plan to finish pruning the fruit bushes, check out the overwintered stuff in the greenhouse and run the bar at our Village Club at lunchtime today.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I use OOD yoghurt to make a batch of naan breads for the freezer, great when you fancy a curry with no messing on :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    I use OOD yoghurt to make a batch of naan breads for the freezer, great when you fancy a curry with no messing on :)
    Having tried it this week the mix makes a great pizza base dough as well:)
  • donnajt
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »

Soworried can u share recipe please.
  • donnajt
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Having tried it this week the mix makes a great pizza base dough as well:)

Caronc sounds great can u share recipe please x
  • JensFeet
    Options
    Thanks for all of the OOD yogurt suggestions - and the naan for the freezer sounds perfect for when we have curry (at least once a week) so I think that is my answer. And can fit them in the freezer now too. Yeay...

I used the buttermilk up yesterday with fridge and cupboard stores to make courgette, cheddar and brie soda bread. Made 2 huge loaves and as only I will eat it I think I will slice them and freeze also as I can only really manage 1 slice a day. Thinking toasted will be lovely and comforting and would be lush with my soups. I made my sad parsnip soup on Thursday and it's super hot - eaten it every day for lunch and still another 3 or 4 bowls left for this week.

I nipped into M's for bicarb of soda as none in my cupboard - don't think baking powder would have done it? Anyway bought that and some YS Ski mousse for kids after dinner puds with fruit from bowl, ys beef pasties for kids and OH lunch today and a pack of king scallops reduced from £5.06 to 49p. I LOVE scallops but full price is much too rich for me so for 49p it was a steal. But I had to freeze them because only I will eat them and tea was out and defrosted for yesterday. Something to really look forward to though... Yum. Spent £4.41 when I only went for soda but was pleased with my haul. Must nip to Lidl or M today with my teeny tiny list for this week's meal plan as 'need' hash browns for their tea tonight.

Meal Plan for next week:
    M haggis (F), neep, tatties, creamy pepper sauce
    T leftovers (F) OH away for work / DS eating with after school club
    W chicken (F) bacon (F) kale (F) soup with bread (F)
    T chicken (F) curry and rice everything else in stock (OH home tonight)
    F chilli and rice/chips and salad (F) and stock
    S steak, chips, salad
    S cheese omelette, beans
    M sweet chilli chicken (F) stir fry with noodles (use up left over veg in fridge)

IN:
    scallops
    soda bread
    will need to put naan breads in at some stage this week

OUT as per meal plan.

So excited as think this week will see the difference in space appearing in the freezers. My overall plan is to empty the kitchen freezer enough to move the contents of the cellar freezer and then restock the cellar with a delivery from a butcher in Leeds that delivers to us. Seems some amazing bargains e.g. 5kg chicken breast for £20 and they get really good reviews and have a huge selection of meats and flavours. But I think this will be March before I'm at that stage and the using up what's here will 'save' enough from the weekly budget to have a really sizeable delivery and restock the freezers for very little spend overall.

Thanks again for the yogurt suggestions - really fab ideas there x
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JensFeet wrote: »
    So excited as think this week will see the difference in space appearing in the freezers. My overall plan is to empty the kitchen freezer enough to move the contents of the cellar freezer and then restock the cellar with a delivery from a butcher in Leeds that delivers to us.

Good plan to empty kitchen freezer first, move contents from cellar to kitchen and then restock cellar freezer with good quality but reasonably priced meat, the savings should be good.

My plan is similar, use contents of kitchen freezer first and then go 'shopping' in the other freezers for that weeks/months supply of food. Also means I won't be constantly opening the big freezers.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    donnajt wrote: »
    Caronc sounds great can u share recipe please x

It's really simple - basically a cup of yoghurt to 1.5 cups (you might need a bit more or less flour). Mix until combined then knead gently into a soft dough. Split into 2-3 balls roll out to about 1/2 cm thick. It's quite soft so I did this on some baking paper then used that to help slide it onto the tray. I drizzled a little olive oil over the base and popped it in a hot oven for a few minutes then added my topping and baked for about 8 minutes. It was lovely really thin, crispy and tasty

Out of the freezer today is a portion of bacon, a lamb steak, an individual HM steak pie (made from New Year leftovers) and a bag of turkey broth. Pie and soup are for lunch/dinner tomorrow. Two portions of chicken casserole, a bag of chicken stock and a bag of chicken pickings from the bones have been added.
    My son very obligingly took the remaining trifle off my hands so it's winding it's way to Newcastle.......:D
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for pea and ham soup (no pressure cooker, but a slow cooker) using pork rib rather than ham hock?

I've got some rib in the freezer and I'd swear my nan always used to do it that way, but I can only find recipes for bacon or hock online.

Thankies in advance.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback