Money Moral Dilemma: Should I send back my accidental 'freebie'?

Options

Comments

• Spangled
    Options
    Def contact the company.

And if you received two separate packages, there's probably some sort of postal tracking on them - because these are large, high-value items - and the company will be able to see you've received (and possibly signed for) two prams.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The second pram wasn't unsolicited but an error so it still belongs to the company.
  • Exactly the same thing happened to me! I kept it so to speak, well we got a free buggy, I contacted the company and said I didn't want it anymore they collected buggy and credited my account with refund, so free buggy! Brucey bonus! xx
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Someone down the line has made a big mistake or even a bit of a typo.Thing is your fully aware of what's happened and don't know whether to steal the item or contact the company about their genuine mistake.My answer to you is what you already know,that's why you've posted the question.(return it)When your all gathered around over xmas this will be a good moral story to pass on to the grandkids.Happy xmas.
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely dishonest to just keep quiet. That's like someone in a shop giving you change for £20 when you know you gave them £10. That said, it is their responsibility to make good the error without inconveniencing you at all. I would contact them to notify them of the error and say they can pick it up but I wouldn't put myself out i.e. I wouldnt stay home from work for a day for it etc...

I had this situation with £150 of wine that was left outside the wrong address by a courier, the wine merchant assumed someone had stolen it and sent replacement to me, then the courier also retrieved and delivered the original order. I called the company and said they could come get it but I'd have to leave it on the door step for them (as they'd left it there for me!!). They said they were really sorry for all the hassle and they'd pick it up or if I wanted to pay an extra £50 I could keep it... I was pretty happy with keeping it!
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    I'm actually rather appalled that anyone thinks you should keep it. There is a big difference between an extra tin of soup in your grocery delivery and a pram. Good grief, what if it was your company that was being defrauded this way ? Not every company is 'big business' or can afford to write off a mistake.

YES, yes, yes, you should definitely contact them and leave them to decide what to do. Anything else is theft, plain & simple.
    Naively, I hoped people's consciences would tell them what to do in the sort of situation - I am obviously sadly mistaken.
  • deptfreemoneytart
    Options
    If you have to ask then you know the answer.

Be good, be happy and have a wonderful guilt free life.

JC:)
  • MrSnoozy
    Options
    However tempting it may seem, personally, I would have to tell the supplier what had happened and ensure that the extra item was returned at their cost.
    Having said that, the same happened to me several years ago with a fridge magnet (cost approx. £2), and I didn't follow my advice above! But a £2 item is maybe less important...
  • ancilla100
    Options
    I ordered a chair from IKEA about a year ago and they accidentally sent two. I contacted them to let them know and they said they'd arrange to pick up the duplicate but actually they never did so I have two chairs.
  • adam.fg
    Options
    It might just be that a family member or friend has ordered the same pram for you as a gift.

Assuming they did, then return the one you purchased and enjoy the gift from a family member.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure