Have I won a holiday or is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• boxst
    boxst Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

It depends on your definition of a 'scam'. I won a holiday the other day by filling in a survey. The number was 0800 008 6115, and I've forgotten the company name.

BUT it was basically a marketing presentation for timeshare and if you survived the 3 hours or so, you got your holiday. Not really worth it (for me anyway). If I were to do something like this, I would rather go to one that offered a physical prize (such as a TV) upon completion of the event.

Steve
  • nickinoodle_2
    Options
    Thanks for all ur help everyone

Steve - yeh thats the number I was given! OK thanks wont bother ringing the number then lol
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's Clash Media and they've been ringing a few people who've 'won' on the Competition newsgroup. So I'd say it's a definite Time-share thing going on.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• fifi_trixiebell
    Options
    that's the same phone number that i was asked to ring for my orlando holiday 'win'.
    only 10 more work days this year!
  • plugs76
    Options
    I have just recived a call from a company (couldnt hear what name she said - think cash media ?)saying that my partner had entered this competion in September to win a hoilday, and he hadnt won, but a week ago it was their 10th anniversary and he was a name drawn out for a holiday for 4 people to anywhere in europe, she said I have to ring this other number and they will send me out the details in writting and the brochures.
    I thought I read on here little while ago that this was a scam, and the number you called was a premium rate number?
    The number does start 0800

Have I won or is it a scam? :confused:

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is
  • ascollen
    Options
    i have a strange sense of deja vu
  • tinateabag
    Options
    just had one of them phone calls you have won a holiday if you come to a two hour presentation no obligation but you get a free holiday is it a scam or not the number you had to ring was 08000086115 is this actually a free phone number got any comments tina tea bag
  • startrekker
    startrekker Posts: 1,162 Forumite
    Options
    tinateabag wrote:
    just had one of them phone calls you have won a holiday if you come to a two hour presentation no obligation but you get a free holiday is it a scam or not the number you had to ring was 08000086115 is this actually a free phone number got any comments tina tea bag

Had the same a few weeks back. Guy called Steve rang me on my mobile. Said I had up to 3pm that day to get my free holiday. I did a quick google and found it was a timeshare scam so didnt ring back.
    Couple of days later its Steve again, you havent rang he said"Yeah I know" Its a scam i said, and stop calling me. This went on for a week same phone call, until i threatened to take it to the authorities......they must think we are all stupid
    :confused:I have nothing better to do!!!!:confused:
  • Ice_lady
    Options
    I've just had a phone call from FlyBuy Holidays informing me that I won a 7 nights accomodation in Tenerife. Had a look on their website and it looks like time share.
    They'll call me tomorrow to ask what resort we'd like to go to - will have to decline now. Not sure if I can take hard sell on my week off work.

Shame though. I thought I really won something. Finally...
  • DrNafiz
    Options
    I just googled that number and I found this site.

About 10 days ago, someone called me at work and said "This is not a sales call, its a 30 second survey only"
    I just thought, easier to pass 30 seconds than to hang up on this person :-)

He asked me if I was married, home owner, and favourite holiday destinations. I answered yes, yes, spain, france, turkey

Obviously my answered were not true, as I havent got a clue as how this company got our number.
    Anyway, he thanked me and thanked me for my time.

Interestingly enough, a week after he called, another lady called and told me that I won a 2 week all expenses paid holiday in spain, france, or turkey

How interesting.. and she gave me 0800 0086115 to call with a reference number SBTR342 .. and she also adivised me to call immediately to claim my prize.

Anyway, sensing that this was too good to be true, I waited few days to call.. If I had won a prize, it will wait for me.
    I was going to call them tomorrow, but I thought I check google first, and found these posts.

I wont waste my time calling that number, thanks to this website.
    When I call that number now, theres an answering machine which says they are closed and they are Sunshine Travel.

I googled for Sunshine Travel and, it goes a travel company in Wiltshire.. and on their immediate page.. theres a warning .."Unsolicited Calls
    Sunshine Travel Ltd
    . in Wiltshire does not make unsolicited calls claiming to offer prizes. We have recently received a number of complaints from customers who have been contacted by a company with a similar name. If you feel you are one of these customers please call trading standards, they are aware of this problem."

To cap it off, thank you for this website, hopefully with the help of people we can put a stop to that company giving away free holidays
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure