Have I won a holiday or is it a scam?

Options
I have just recived a call from a company (couldnt hear what name she said - think cash media ?)saying that my partner had entered this competion in September to win a hoilday, and he hadnt won, but a week ago it was their 10th anniversary and he was a name drawn out for a holiday for 4 people to anywhere in europe, she said I have to ring this other number and they will send me out the details in writting and the brochures.
I thought I read on here little while ago that this was a scam, and the number you called was a premium rate number?
The number does start 0800

Have I won or is it a scam? :confused:

Comments

• Dalkirst
    Dalkirst Posts: 9,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just recived a call from a company (couldnt hear what name she said - think cash media ?)saying that my partner had entered this competion in September to win a hoilday, and he hadnt won, but a week ago it was their 10th anniversary and he was a name drawn out for a holiday for 4 people to anywhere in europe, she said I have to ring this other number and they will send me out the details in writting and the brochures.
    I thought I read on here little while ago that this was a scam, and the number you called was a premium rate number?
    The number does start 0800

Have I won or is it a scam? :confused:

Probably if they are asking you to call a number:confused:
    Sorry i don't know unless you know what the comp was and we could search for details.
    Darren
  • nickinoodle_2
    Options
    Sorry it was something my bf entered!! so god knows what it was lol she said the competition was with Cash Media, and gave me a reference number and phone number
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask your BF if he entered a competition for a holiday ! If it a scam they will either have a premium rate number or will ask you to send an ‘administration’ or ‘registration fee’ to claim your prize. If you do then say goodbye to your money as you wont see it again or a holiday !
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • fifi_trixiebell
    Options
    someone rang me up last week saying i had one a holiday to orlando and told me to ring a freephone 0800 number quoting a code. i was a bit suspicious but i rang anyway and the woman on that number asked me if i was married or living with a partner when i said neither she said i'm sorry you're not suitable for this promotion. So one minute i've one a competition and next minute it's a promotion it all sounds a bit suspect to me. anyway i checked my phonebill and the 0800 number hasn't come up on my bill so at least it didn't cost me anything. I don't think i'll be ringing anymore numbers though until i check them out first.
    only 10 more work days this year!
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you give us the whole telephone number and then we can have a look?
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • nickinoodle_2
    Options
    Sorry left it at home, will post it when I get home 2night

Thanks for your help
  • ascollen
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just remember that if it's a scam it will be a premium rate number and they will ask for some kind of fee. If you've won a competition everything will be free.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • an1179
    an1179 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We won a holiday in a genuine comp. We had to pay for our own Travel Insurance, but we could take out theirs or arrange through our own choice of Co's.
  • millwalll
    Options
    hay u may want look this website might help http://www.icstis.org.uk/
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure