PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Saturday was a mixed bag weatherwise - sunshine, rain & hail & very cold :( DH & I continued sorting out the contents of the garage. Dinner was Chinese takeaway & will be Sunday’s dinner as well.

952 - 955 Three cardboard boxes, magazine - Recycled
    956 - 966 Ten damaged/broken screwdrivers, large handful of metals bits - Tip
    967 - 968 Two small bags of general detritus - Binned
    969 - 970 Multi tip screwdriver, extending clip on name tag holder - CS bag

Well Done - chupachups4 - I think all that selling is also ‘real’ decluttering :T

dollypeeps, keeping on top of your budgeting is decluttering of a sort - decluttering the temptation to overspend :rotfl:

Whmf00001, how lovely that the ‘Decluttering Bug’ is coming back to infect you :rotfl:

Well Done - short_bird; gilly1964 (especially on finding the roof bars :rotfl:); savvy; chocolatebum - :T keep up the good work :T

Nice to see you nannywindow ;) You have been busy bee & I hope your DH gets his project completed swiftly :rotfl: otherwise you will have declutter the leather :rotfl:

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend :D

MrsSD
    970/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • chupachups4
    chupachups4 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

1142-1145: 2 dresses, 1 pyjama, 1 tee-shirt, sold, 28 euros in the travel pot.
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning declutterers

Haven't posted much as RL has been getting in the way but have been trying to keep the faith

*160 cat toy-binned
    *161-166 bookx5 into recycling (hate putting books Into recycling but these have been stored in the back cupboard for so long that they have been hit by damp)
    Talking of back cupboard found a couple of things I have cleaned up ready to send in my charity box and did pull some items out ready to go to recycling place along with the broken hoover that gave up on me a couple of weeks ago. If I can keep going instead of shelves 2 old book cases were put together for storage and i will be able to get rid of one of them
    So have old clothes to go for recycling, items ready for the tip and more neutral/declutter items ready to leave the house

*167 big bag of plastics-recycling
    *168 a massive amount of cardboard-recycling.

Getting their slowly but very happy :)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Zentimes
    Zentimes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd like to join the decluttering ranks if I may! :D

I'm currently attempting to reduce the volume of 'stuff' we hardly use or don't use at all, and go through all the loft boxes. When we moved into this house, about 11 yrs ago, I had what was (at the time) a good system. I boxed up stuff and labelled the boxes with numbers, and had a record in a notebook of what each box contained. However over the years this system has broken down, with loft leaks, boxes retrieved for various items then shoved back into the loft, some boxes repacked and notebook entries crossed out, new ones made, new boxes numbered... well to cut a long story short, it's a mess up there!

Last week I got DP to bring down one box that I knew I had dressmaking things in that I'd never use again. Also another similar box stowed downstairs. I emptied both boxes, either threw out or sent to charity 90% of the contents, and repacked the far smaller amount back into one box with some bubble wrap, of which we have far too much but you never know when it'll come in handy. I also began a new numbering system. The prefix is the year I sorted the box, and this is followed by the number, starting from 01. So I now have box 19-01 done and dusted! DP has a photo of the current boxes so we can check what is still there to be done (a lot, an awful lot!).
    So, this is basically my task for the rest of this year - get those boxes down one or two at a time and sort through them, give them new numbers and catalogue the contents. I am aiming to have far fewer boxes in total!
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all!
    The last few weeks have been slow on the decluttering front as far as the house is concerned but we've made big progress in the garden. We completely chopped back a huge climbing plant growing up the back fence which has given us back about an extra foot of garden all across the back. Unfortunately hubby came out in a hideous rash from touching the plant and I'm having to chop it up in bits every week to fill the garden waste wheelie bin as there's so much of it. There's a good few bins full left I reckon before it's all gone.

I filled another charity bag yesterday to go out for collection tomorrow so I'm back trying to clear more in the house again now too. Tomorrow's plan will be to sort out old books, toys and kids clothes to give to relatives we're visiting next weekend.

I keep reminding myself that although it's still nowhere near whey I want it to be it's heading in that direction. One step at a time.
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Poppy - welcome and sorry for your loss :(

Zentimes - welcome :)

Not done any decluttering just popping on to say hello! I think I have decluttered myself out I think what I have now is enough! Although I will probably still do the odd bit of decluttering and keep up with this thread and help others. I really think moving helped me even though it was to next door it was the effort of moving it that I cba with. So from now on my decluttering will be sorting through the odd bit of paperwork and checking DS's clothes every couple of months and hopefully mine as I'm hoping to loose some weight haha.

Did declutter half a bottle of wine last night :rotfl::rotfl:

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • chupachups4
    chupachups4 Posts: 156 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2019 at 5:14AM
    Options
    welcome on board Zentimes
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    172 - 177: 6 letters returned to sender for people that don't live here
    178: leaflets to the recycling from the communal hallway
    179-193: 5 hefty programmes for local film festival to local coffee shop.

(In: a jar of gluten free yeast extract. It's really quite amazing how much you miss something you can't have!)
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Poppy_Golightly
    Options
    I'm looking at all the bottles in my bathroom - cleanser, body lotion, moisturiser. Anybody got any suggestions on one product that could do the job of all three?
    Flowers are sunshine for the soul
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm looking at all the bottles in my bathroom - cleanser, body lotion, moisturiser. Anybody got any suggestions on one product that could do the job of all three?

Olive oil or coconut oil.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport