Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What a worry for you and OH! But so pleased to hear that it was just a migraine. Good advice from SA on not ignoring these symptoms though. And all the best for the prostate test Hope he is relaxing this weekend.

You mentioning your parachute jump years ago, but worrying if any of your DC wanted to do the same made me chuckle. When DD first starting seeing her OH, he had a high performance motor bike that they would go zipping about on. I was a nervous wreck! DD said I had no case to answer as her father was a biker and both he and I zipped about in our teens and twenties - and as she pointed out as well - even after she was born! Nothing I could reply to that....:(
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    117pauline wrote: »
    Good morning

I was sorry to hear about your husband. Hopefully the tests done have put your minds at rest, at least for a little while. How is he today?

I's difficult to persuade men to take preventative medicine seriously. I think it might be the fear of getting older.

Hope you have a reasonable weekend

Give my best to him

Take care honey
    Pauline

Thanks Pauline :). DH is tired but otherwise fine today. Mind you, I feel tired too!
    What a worry for you and OH! But so pleased to hear that it was just a migraine. Good advice from SA on not ignoring these symptoms though. And all the best for the prostate test Hope he is relaxing this weekend.

You mentioning your parachute jump years ago, but worrying if any of your DC wanted to do the same made me chuckle. When DD first starting seeing her OH, he had a high performance motor bike that they would go zipping about on. I was a nervous wreck! DD said I had no case to answer as her father was a biker and both he and I zipped about in our teens and twenties - and as she pointed out as well - even after she was born! Nothing I could reply to that....:(

It's a case of do as I say and not as I did SSG :rotfl:. Amazing what we do in our teens :eek:.

Luckily none of my DC seem keen on a parachute jump, a step too far for them perhaps :D. I'll never know how I talked DH into doing it :rotfl: but he's glad now he did it because it was such an amazing experience. You wouldn't believe the adrenaline rush, we were as high as kites afterwards :eek:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Today I did my Saturday ramble while DH relaxed at home :). Spends were:

£2.20 bus
    £2.65 latte
    £6.95 Mr T
    £1.25 book

Things were going well until my earrings broke :(. I've had them for years and wear them most days so was very fed up. So I bought some new earrings. £16 for some lovely sterling silver ones which are small enough for everyday wear. I'm nearly up to £10 in PA so I'll put that towards them. Mustn't feel guilty :o.

Since getting home I've cleaned out the furry moron, washed towels, put another wash on and put some clean laundry away.

I just need to empty all the bins, put a third wash on and empty and refill the DW and then I can take it easy for the rest of the day.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Never did the parachute jump Hairy. Wish I had though - I’ve a feeling my knees would give way if I attempted it now!:rotfl:

Shame you lost your earrings but how nice to have a shiny new pair! Well done you on treating yourself. :T
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,307 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry about your earrings.
    Glad that you got a new pair though :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I wouldn't do it now SSG, definitely a young person's activity :rotfl:.

I'm glad I treated myself to the earrings because I feel a bit fed up this afternoon :(. DH is acting like a dying duck so I offered to cook tonight and he said yes :(.

Saturday is the only night that DH ever cooks and as I spend the whole weekend doing shopping and housework while he sits in front of the telly, I feel like I deserve a night off from cooking once in a while :mad:. So I feel really fed up that I have to cook tonight :mad:.

I know he can't help being ill, but I missed my night out with my friends last night to sit in a hospital for five hours and we only get together every six months :(.

Sometimes I get fed up with doing 95% of the cooking and housework, and working :(.

Once a year in the summer I run away from home to go and stay with my family on my own, and I feel like I deserve a week off from housework and cooking. This year I'm going to stay with my sister in Scotland for a week and I'm already looking forward to it. It feels like my great escape from drudgery :(.

All of DH's health problems stem from him being overweight and sedentary. So sometimes I resent him being physically incapable (or lazy, sometimes I can't decide which one he is :().

Sorry to moan but I feel really fed up and full of resentment right now :(.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Dont worry about the moan.
    That's what our diaries are for :)
    Could you maybe stretch to a takaway?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Our money is running low and we don't have much work on at tne moment, which is the main reason we are both stressed right now. I know I bought earrings but I'd worry about having a takeaway too :(.

I think being worried about money is the main reason everything else seems so hard at the moment. I feel like life is just work and stress and nothing else at the moment :(.
  • beanielou
    Options
    At least you dont have the debt to worry about now.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    That's true I suppose things can always be worse :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure