PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Empty loaf bags, what do you use yours for?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    [quote=sairy2005;19207121_I_keep_one_by_the_sink_and_any_burnable_rubbish_goes_in_it_and_at_the_end_of_the_day_I_put_it_on_the_fire.[/quote]

oh dear. You are burning plastic so are releasing very nasty chemicals into the air
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I often buy whoopsied bread rolls, hot cross buns, crumpets etc from the Asda Bakery for freezing. The packets they come in are useless once they've been opened - they rip so the contents usually go stale very quickly. Bread bags are great for putting these in.

After that, I sometimes collect small amounts of peelings in them and pass to one of my elderly neighbours for his compost heap. Failing that, I just collect small amounts of rubbish etc in them and then throw away. They always get re-used at least once though :).
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I usually use them as mini bags for rubbish .Most of my garden is paved so my veggie peelings,egg shells ect go into the bread bag which I have on a small hook by the sink.When full I seal them up and put into the rubbish bin across the road at the precinct.I rarely have much rubbish so the dustman doesn't have to call at my house much. Paper goes into the recycling bin across the road as well, I have an old wally trolley in the porch that I use to fill with paper and cardboard and wheel that across when its full. I would have a job carrying a black plastic bag of rubbish with my dodgy hip anyway. Plus a short walk across to the shops is good for me .

:naughty:
    The street litter bin outside my business premises is often overflowing, because it is next to a parking area and so many people empty the rubbish/ old newspapers/ drinks cans /MacDonalds meal bags etc from their cars in there, filling it up so there's no room for litter from passers-by, which is the whole idea of street litter bins. This causes overspill and litter blowing around the street.
    Dispose of your household rubbish at home, please folks!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use them for most of what has already been said (except for poo bags as I do not have a dog), but they can also be recycled as plastic once you have no longer a use for them!

One use I did not see, which I do, is: divide the loaf in two or three lots of 4-5 slices, then store the separate segments in the saved bags the freezer so if you only need a few slices of bread you do not have to defrost the whole loaf.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • cowbutt
    cowbutt Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use my paper bread bags to transfer food waste from my kitchen to my brown (recycling) bin. Why buy special-purpose bags for the same job?
  • Calephetos
    Options
    Because I make my own bread (BM or occasionally hand made when I've the time) I have to get friends to save their bread bags for me! But when we have (on offer!) bagels or (reduced) tea loaves, etc, I use the bags for storing food items like opened cheese, or rolls, etc. I also use them for my lunchtime sandwiches. I wouldn't use them on non-food items I don't think. That would be...odd.

I try to put things like sticky ginger cake or teabread slices into boxes that can be washed rather than old or new plastic bags, as otherwise that's it for them. Unless it's a pretty sturdy bag, washing it of the mess a squashed ginger slice can create is just not happening. (OH will leave cakes and sarnies crushed up in his backpack for days...)

Oh, and like Sunnyday I also use them for berry picking! They're smaller to pack into bag or pannier than a box, the lids don't fall off halfway home, and who cares if they end up purple? :)

Bread bags tend to be quite hardwearing - it seems far more wasteful to throw them out than the flimsy things you can buy (or supermarket veg bags...*ahem*) though I try not to buy them, and get by on what I already have - a cupboard full of tubs and takeaway boxes, and half a drawer of bags...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As well as uses above, I use mine for coating meat with flour. Put a little flour in bag with seasoning if needed then add the cubed beef (or whatever) then shake about - that's the bag I mean:rotfl:

It seems to use less flour and then it can go straight in the bin. I find it much easier/economical than flour in a bowl or plate.
  • GreenandThrifty
    Options
    I use mine for tonnes of things already mentioned! I also find they are handy for crushing biscuits etc because the tougher plastic doesnt split as easy.

My trainers started to leak last month so now I use them inside so my socks don't get wet, saves buying new trainers!! Tight.........me?????? :)
    Food budget: Nov £80 / 2.33 /0.00/0.00/00.00(.)
    Splurges (if I list them here I might remember I've already treated myself!!(.)
    NSD 2/3
  • FelinePrincess
    Options
    sairy2005 wrote: »
    I keep one by the sink and any burnable rubbish goes in it and at the end of the day I put it on the fire.
    kittie wrote: »
    oh dear. You are burning plastic so are releasing very nasty chemicals into the air

Glad someone else noticed this too, burning plastic is a pet hate of mine!

Sairy2005, could you not just empty the contents onto the fire and throw the bag away? As well as it being bad for the enviroment, breathing in the fumes from burning plastic is probably very bad for you.

I tend to use the bags to put sandwiches in, but I do have a bad habbit of leaving the leftover bread too long and it going mouldy!
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ali1972 wrote: »
    Over 25 years ago the cook at my boarding school used to pack our marmalade sandwiches in loaf bags (accompanied by a can of Panda Cola and a bag of Tudor prawn cocktail crisps) before we were taken hiking over the mountains! Kids today don't know they're born...

what a wonderful scene that description paints...could almost be written by Enid Blyton (except it would be lashings of ginger beer rather than Panda Pop)
    weaving through the chaos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport