»

Empty loaf bags, what do you use yours for?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Empty loaf bags, what do you use yours for?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
60 replies 16.1K views
sb44sb44 Forumite
5.2K posts
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
For some reason I have started folding and saving my empty loaf bags, don't know why as I haven't done it before.

I just emptied the crumbs out of one the other week, folded it and put it away and have been doing it with the last few since.

:rolleyes:

Now, do I need to throw these away or can someone please come to my rescue and tell me that I am not going mad and give me some ideas what I can use them for other than storing homemade bread in.

;)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K posts
    I've only ever seen people use them to take their packed lunches in - is a good question!

if they're biodegradable then you might be able to use them to line a compost caddy?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • I use mine as poo bags......for the dogs
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance....
  • My OH uses them as sandwich bags.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!'
  • I use them instead of clingfilm. Put half onions, turnip, celery etc. saves them drying out. Then you could throw them away knowing they've been reused at least once.
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • JulieMJulieM Forumite
    708 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    I reuse bread bags for freezing home made cakes. I store the empty bags in the fridge or freezer till I need them so that any stray breadcrumbs that may have been left behind don't go mouldy. Glad I'm not the only one who can't bear to throw these away!
  • We have an open fire so I keep all these sort of bags - i.e loaf, banana and the paper bags fruit and veg comes in from market stalls. I keep one by the sink and any burnable rubbish goes in it and at the end of the day I put it on the fire.
  • kitschkittykitschkitty Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the normal sliced loaf bags my mum has always just used them as a sandwich bag once you get through the loaf. I do if I remember, but I have a terrible habit of forgetting to toast the crusts, then realising they've gone mouldy- so don't want to reuse a mouldy bread bag!

Paper bags always just go in the recycling, the bags from supermarket bakery products just end up straight in the bin as they rip apart.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • JayneCJayneC Forumite
    912 posts
    I use them as sandwich bags, freezer bags, as a cover for leftover food that goes in the fridge-if it's on a plate you can put the whole thing in the bag and it doesn't dry out.! I'm a bit obsessive about re-using things, I save marg tubs too for sandwhich boxes and storing food in the freezer - ideal for individual portions:D
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • maybe use them once for taking sarnies to work in, but then chuck them!! I am cleaning my grandma's house whilst she is in hospital ad she has hoarded loads of the bl00dy things.... its a bit depressing!
  • jennet1jennet1 Forumite
    199 posts
    I use them as freezer bags