Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike - MSE News

Options

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2018 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Had an email today. (surprised it was not a letter)

From 1st November, your bill will be going up by £2 a month

We're also letting you know that from 1st November, we'll be changing some of our charges and policies - these include activation, late payment, non-returned equipment, selected technician and missed appointment fees.

We hope you'll carry on enjoying everything with us. But if you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before 31st October, without paying any cancellation fees. Visit
    https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/campaigns/findoutmore.html?buspart=uk_em_cus_cab_value-2018_pr
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Had an email today. (surprised it was not a letter)

Same here although mine is going up £3. Think there will be a letter in the next few days.

Will be calling to discuss in the next day or so and then putting in the cancellation as per usual.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,606 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Had the £3 increase email today. Phoned them up and said I can get Sky fibre and anytime phone for £3 less than they are charging me now.
    They did say Sky fibre max (at 63Mb) is slower than the VIVID 100 I'm on. I pointed out Sky's upload speed is 18Mbps, which is 3 times faster than theirs.They offered me a £54 credit to my account to more than cover the increase until my current "loyalty" discount ends. Could have played the cancellation game, but accepted that and will look again in about 6 months.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    victor - Did they say their line manager would adjust the contract end date to be when your loyalty discount ended?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,606 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    victor - Did they say their line manager would adjust the contract end date to be when your loyalty discount ended?
    Current contract ends in December. Discount runs until 6 months later as it was a new 12 month contract with 18 month discount when I took it. They said no change to contract, just a credit to my account today.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• spock007
    Options
    I'm on £31 deal until next June.

Are they ALLOWED to add £3 to this if my contract says £31 a month until June 2019? Isn't that breaking contract?

I think after that it goes to something like £35 a month. Then add this £3 is an extra £7 a month!? Or £84 a year. £38 for broadband only seems ridiculous.

I'm going to ring them just now. Will keep an eye on this thread.
  • spock007
    spock007 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 22 September 2018 at 3:00PM
    Options
    OK so......

I'm on £31 a month (£4 18 month discount) until June 2019. I forgot I got an additional discount running until August 2019, also.

I just rung up (30 minute wait time so use the free 0800 number!!).

They immediately knocked the £3 off until March 2019.

I'm going to stick with it until June 2019 and then bump down to the 50MBPS package, I think. Undecided. Service has been pretty good and we're only wired up for Virgin.

Come August it would be £41 a month for internet is WAAAAAY too much, though. If I can keep it around £30 I wont be too bothered.

They said this extra £3 discount will show up online on my account so I hope it does... it's not showing up right now and I don't want to wait in line for 30mins again.
  • bufferz
    Options
    So...I renewed officially on my contract the 19th August. This morning I received an email telling me my bills are going up by £4/m. Takes the !!!!
  • buuubaloo
    Options
    We were on £85 a month with the£4.03 increase looming, for Full House TV, 100mb broadband and Evenings and weekends phone

I followed a hint
    Dial 150 on the virgin land line

Press for the moving/leaving options
    Then the leaving for any other reason option.
    The gentleman answered with 'Good evening, retentions'.
    I had an equivalent sky price except with the 11mb broadband at £46.34 and Virgins 'New customers only' price after the 12 months of £73 a month.
    I turned on the chutspa and banter and kicked prices about between discussing crappy late shifts, the linesmen who fit the equipment, holidays and the weather. Cut the phone back to basic. Had a joke about the salesmans 'silence' trick. Mutually agreed to forget that one because I am good at silences too and ended up with £55.50 a month with £50 off the the first month (£5.50 to pay) Sealed the deal by shaking hands, (well we said shaky shake shake down the phone) and agreed that I phone back in a year for another session.

Had a laugh and a £33.53 a month reduction. I think that will do for this year.
  • NoNoDrama
    Options
    So I entered new 12 month contract in August, it was a retention offer.

I get a letter today saying will be going up by £4 a month in November.

However at the bottom of the letter it says:-

"If you're on a promotional offer we will honour it. Some of your increase may therefore happen at the end of your promotional offer".

So unsure if the price increase will kick in at the start of November or not?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure