Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Gallygirl, I'm sure you must have one of your trademark emoticons to go with that! :D

No emoticon I'm afraid but I took a snap off your webcam earlier ;).
    JS45724418.png

Sound advice, I will not do too much. I have dusted the ceiling lights which is definitely a step too far.

Why? Do you know a lot of very tall people :D?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Haha!

No tall people, I do have very active spiders though!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    Well we had a wonderful relaxing day yesterday. DH made a fantastic meal and we get to do it again today at my mum's. Both children had respectable piles of presents despite us not going mad buying stuff and loved everything they received.

We have been on a bit of a mission de-cluttering and moving furniture this morning. I had also bought some things Christmas Eve and was clearly caught up in the moment so they were returned so that's £6 back on the card. Also had to take one of Dd presents back as it won't work on our I-pad. I don't think she will miss it as she is so taken with some of her other toys and knew it wasn't working.

The rest of the weekend will be a combination of over-indulgence and de-cluttering!
  • CathT
    Options
    The de-clutter continues! We have moved things around in DS bedroom so he can play in there rather than the children just using the playroom as there are times of the day they need their own space save arguing! He loves it, just a small move around has transformed it!

Sold 2 prints this morning for £3. I might gradually keep listing on fb selling sites as things do sell well on there. Am also taking some of the decs down today and will get them packed away. Storage is very limited in our house so will have to be compact!

Have been hit with a big car bill this morning which put me in a bad mood for a while! Just one of those things but am just so frustrated as we make headway with finances then meet unexpected setbacks.

So, the plan is:
    1) more listing on selling sites
    2) look for no purchase TCB deals
    3) keep food spends very low
    4) DH offered to reduce his personal spends
    5) DH going to do all the overtime he can this week!
    6) Try not to worry

In more cheerful news, we had a lovely snowfall whilst with all my family yesterday and the children and I managed to make a snowman this morning. Good job life is full of these simple pleasures.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    JS45724418.png

looks alarmingly like my study atm :eek: :D

hope santa was kind to you cath :beer:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • CathT
    Options
    Hi Pavlov's, he brought me a few things which were very thoughtful gifts. DH has had a surprise gift of brake pads and discs! Worst bit is, my car goes into the garage on Monday!

Looking forward to a relaxing evening, might find a film to watch as the tv has been a bit rubbish and we spent last night starting to watch programmes then losing interest.

House is looking fantastic, the playroom looks so organised and I had a few plaques for Christmas which have gone up on the wall.

In money saving news? Eaten leftovers to avoid waste! Guess we weren't the only ones to have turkey curry today?
  • CathT
    edited 29 December 2014 at 8:26AM
    Options
    Time for some goals for 2015. I have been playing around with the spreadsheet a bit and trying to knock months off!! :D

We are on a 2.99% fixed rate until April 2019 so lots of time to maximise OP's.

DS will leave full time private nursery in July which will save us money but we will really benefit after the summer holidays so at that point will start to OP an extra £250 a month. This gives us an extra OP of £1000 for the year.

Financial goals

1) Reduce mortgage to £89,000
    2) Reduce WIOTW figure to <£100,000

This means finding an extra £2,745 on top of what I have already planned. This is almost £53 a week so will have to come from disposable income, selling of items, TCB, savings on food budget and overtime. With all those options it is do'able.

I need to do some maths and work out how I give myself a goal in '% of target achieved'

Current WIOTW £112,675

Target reduction £12,676
    Will update this on a monthly basis to track my progress!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great target cath, best of luck :T
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Mrs_E_3
    Mrs_E_3 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck for 2015 Cath
  • CathT
    edited 29 December 2014 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Thanks Newgirly and Mrs E. I do look forward to the goals a new year brings.

Have hit a hurdle already as my car is going to cost £160 to fix!! I was tempted to cancel our increased OP but instead we will manage. If anything it just sets us back a month in our WIOTW goal so that can be recouped at some point. DH is convinced this is the universe's way of telling us not to move house!

Plan for tomorrow:

Find paperwork for DD government child trust fund
    Print off car insurance documents
    Catch up on emails
    Check accounts as CB goes in and need to transfer money to CC
    Make a big roast with the meat we decided not to use at Christmas (I read a bad review about the stuffing!!)
    Make apple and blackberry crumble

Made a 33p Tilly tidy today, it all helps :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback