Compensation for post traumatic strwss

Options
I was on holiday 4 weeks ago and myself and my partner hired out a boat from the resort water sports team ( a captain ) was driving. Coming back into the resort the boat hit someone in the water and killed them. We have both been signed off sick for a minimum of 4 weeks with post traumatic stress due to the lack of customer care ( none of it ) from both the travel company and the hotel.
We have lost 4 weeks of income and unable to pay rent. What can we do?

Comments

• Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Get some counselling?

Was the captain negligent or was it an accident?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Who was at fault? They're your target.

Talk to your travel insurers about any cover that might allow you to sue somebody.

Talk to a no win no fee solicitor with expertise in suing somebody overseas.

Don't expect a payout this side of Christmas next year, if ever, though.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loisreid wrote: »
    I was on holiday 4 weeks ago and myself and my partner hired out a boat from the resort water sports team ( a captain ) was driving. Coming back into the resort the boat hit someone in the water and killed them. We have both been signed off sick for a minimum of 4 weeks with post traumatic stress due to the lack of customer care ( none of it ) from both the travel company and the hotel.
    We have lost 4 weeks of income and unable to pay rent. What can we do?

I'm surprised we haven't seen this on the news, it sounds horrendous.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Do you have a formal diagnosis of PTSD, or are you signed off with stress which would be a normal reaction to this type of accident?
    PTSD is usually diagnosed as if reactions are extreme or going on for longer than 4 weeks.
    The reason I am asking is that if you're going down the compensation route, the lawyers on the other side may be arguing that it's too soon for a longer term diagnosis of PTSD to be made.
    In the meantime, what is your work sick pay policy, and if you're not being paid or envisage being off for longer, can you look at Statutory sick pay, housing benefit?

If you can afford to go on holiday, do you not have any sort of emergency savings to keep you going in the meantime?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Loisreid
    Options
    We are having counselling,
    Not sure it was very hushed up for tourism, no police or ambulances ect.
    Last we heard the captain was done for murder as he admitted he was going to fast showing off
  • Loisreid
    Options
    It's post traumatic stress we have been diagnosed with, if it goes on longer it's then post traumatic stress disorder.

I am getting statutory sick pay at moment but does not even cover my rent let alone anything else.
    The fact I just had a holiday does not come into it, people save for years for holidays.
  • Loisreid
    Options
    Newspapers have been in contact but hotel wanted it hush as its a very well known hotel.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Loisreid wrote: »
    We are having counselling,
    Not sure it was very hushed up for tourism, no police or ambulances ect.
    Last we heard the captain was done for murder as he admitted he was going to fast showing off

No police yet the captain has been charged with murder.

No ambulance but there was a dead body.

Hmmn.
  • Loisreid
    Options
    The captain scuba dived down to retrieve what was left of the body.

And he was arrested 5 hours after the incident by this time we were taken too and left in a marquee full of Syrian refugees who had just been pulled from a boat coming into turkey.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So why not sell your story to the press im sure they would pay well for your "story"
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport