PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 May 2018 at 6:41PM
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Forgot my total so will plus it next time as still busy here +17/2018

Still haven't had time to search going back to look for my last total as still very, very busy in the garden now with hens around my feet HOORAH!! Weather was great here today which was rather unexpected so I decluttered the outdoor table instead of anything indoors whilst spending time sorting out seeds etc.

1 Awfully grubby sponge found down side of one of the water butts BIN
    1 Candle stubby bit BIN
    1 Used T-Light candle BIN
    1 Lot of broken seashells from wind chime BIN
    1 Candle holder Metal REC (when iron man comes to collect)
    1 Mug of screws and nails REC
    1 Goblet which has been on the table for months and months REC
    1 Broken terracotta candle holder in to Croc container in garden

The rest from the table has been put in the dishwasher and when washed and dried I will make myself sit for a while and paint it all again. Got some lovely candle holders, ornament ducks and hens but they have seen better days. I shall enjoy doing that job over several days when I can take a break from the seeds, weeds and planting out veg etc.

Edwink

+8
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your welcome, and the blog rec. I'll look at that later. Yesterday was only a few Spanish magazines to a friend who is also learning it. Visiting dog was collected, and we had a very long walk, and a very long swim in her case. This was repeated today. She is a mongrel but mainly collie, and can keep going all day.
    Am gathering things from the cube shelving unit to take to charity shop, and some rubbishy things were binned. Discovered a tube of tennis balls in the office supplies box. Dog very pleased. Also, three identical staplers. two will go out to Charity shop once a few more bits have been gathered to make a bag.
    Bag 4 magazines.
    To do : more cube baskets while reading posts from you all. Menu plan for week. Tidy up a bit.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :T:j Everyone is doing so well :j:T

basketcase, a whinge is as good as a rest :rotfl: That’s what we are all here for - sympathy & encouragement go a long way when the decluttering mojo ups sticks :rotfl: Yesterday’s total was stupendous :T:T:j:j

Edwink well done on all the hard work in the garden :T:T Their must be some way to incorporate this in your decluttering total - half an hour = 1 :D

parsniphead, isn’t it great when you start to notice a difference :D & doesn’t it make you happy to know that it is done to your own labours :D

retiredinfrance, lots of stuff out - some of it quite heavy I imagine :D

Re the discussion about MK - I have adopted her folding method for t-shirts, tops & trousers & clothes really do take up less space but just started to read A Slob Comes Clean - so much more practical & relatable :D I agree that you need an enormous space to practise the MK method & I couldn’t get my head around ‘loving’ your stuff :rotfl: Slob lady’s whole ethos is great & she seems to know herself so well :D The idea of one a week new habits is great - and starting small & keeping the addition realistic is so simple :rotfl: - I suppose I couldn’t see the clutter :rotfl: - so I am going to try to develop habits & number 1 is - open bedroom windows ASAP & air bed but make bed within 2 hours :D & guess what I can start tomorrow as it is a Monday :rotfl:

DSis is currently decluttering dirt etc from the cloakroom :T She has washed the door & walls & floor - having gone out to MrA to buy cleaning products because shock horror mine aren’t good enough :eek: BUT she is happy & I am just leaving her to it :rotfl: Also she has just had a long chat to her oldest friend so that made her extremely happy.

Anyway back to the decluttering & I will start with the stuff to go to the cs on Wednesday as it is all bagged up ready to go - anything marked as F came from France - so

B353 - B573 Two pictures F, Picture, Harrods Book Mark, 2 Photo frames F, Leather writing case F, Leather cheque book cover F, Leather cc holder F, Pen F, Gift Box containing two tea mugs & two ceramic tea spoons F, empty faux leather watch box F, magnetised jigsaw of the world in a tin F, children’s book F, ‘Ladybird’ kitchen timer F, 3 small notebooks F, 12 bottle caps (with years of Football World Cups), Plastic Box containing long beaded necklace F, elasticated beaded bracelet F, Pack of 4 small hair clips F, costume ring F, plain necklace F, two individual earrings F, Rune Stone necklace (unworn) F, mini photo frame F, Pretty pill tin F, Card with 9 pairs of costume stud earrings F, 166 pin badges F, 7 winter jumpers F, New England Whale motif sweatshirt F, 2 mugs, duvet & duvet cover F & unused (still wrapped) bedspread F.

B574 - B575 Plastic Milk Cartons washed & recycled
    B576 - B578 Used up toiletry items binned
    B579 Sudoku book completed & recycled

B580 Singer Electric Sewing machine gifted to DH’s niece who is about to become a grandmother :) - was going to sell but I get more pleasure seeing family happy :D

Oh I forgot, DH posted a box of DVDs sold on Ziffit so
    B581 - B607 27 DVDs - SOLD

Plenty more French stuff to be donated but still in boxes waiting to be sorted :eek:

I will love you & leave you

MrsSD
    B607/B2018
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All!

parsniphead – it does feel good once you start seeing a difference, isn’t it?

retiredinfrance – that’s just what would happen to me. And well done of the totals

Edwink – I can’t help but think you should have counted every screw in the mug. Mind you, I wouldn’t have either – which is why I decided to weigh stuff.

Mrs SD – :rotfl:
    Once again, thanks for the encouragement. I admit, I chose the bookshelves partly because they needed doing but mostly because books are heavy and I needed the lift! An impressive haul from The Dodgers too! :T:j

Today’s been a bit of a consolidating day for me. So not much by weight, but I’ve been organising things a bit. Eg all DD’s ‘stuff to check’ was put in 1 place, so she was better able to see what she had. And she actually did check it, which she hasn’t felt up to for some time.

I’ve realised that concentrating on getting stuff out has caused me to neglect the everyday chores. So the flat’s gradually going to Hull in a handbasket! I’ve been lurking on the FlyLady thread. I’d delurk, but I’m not sure how much I’d actually get done.

Think I’ll join you in the gentler land of deslobification, Mrs SD. Developing habits may be a bit more realistic at this stage. I actually have a routine that I used to (mostly!) follow, but it's fallen by the wayside what with one thing and another. :( I try to Swish n Swipe the bathroom plus 1 other job every day. Likewise wiping down the sink, worktops and oven top plus 1. Like you, I don’t make the bed immediately. I leave it a couple of hours to air, then make it. I think I’ll add getting up at 6.30 as my first new habit, so that I can at least get the basics done before breakfast.

Anyway, to totals. Most of today's decluttering, apart from taking rubbish etc down to the bins, has been procrasticlutter. The laundry pile had built up again. A fine example of letting things slide due to concentrating on decluttering... It’s been ’drying’ since the middle of last week :o while it waited for me to fold/put away/iron it. So I did it!

Bedding and towels, folded and put away 14.5lbs
    Some of ironing backlog 5lbs

Totals
    Day’s Total 19.5lbs
    Running total 857lbs

Hope you enjoy the Bank Holiday, if you’re in a part of the country that gets it. Keep up the good work!
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • retiredinfrance
    Options
    Mrs SD Glad to see you are still going strong and here is my new habit/decluttering strategy. I have a pile on the bottom shelf of a bookcase beside my desk where all admin takes place. All paper to be shredded goes on the pile and then!!!8230;. wait for it... every day I line one page into the bottom of the kitchen veg compost bin( a rather fetching old blue French enamel cooking pot) . So, that is 365 pages a year and no shredding to be done and a neat pile of A4 paper. All small papers go direct to compost.
    266 +267 Two old college scarves to CS
    We are going great - just picture the mountain of stuff we have collectively decluttered so far this year lol.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good afternoon :) from a sunny & extremely hot Isle of Dogs:D saving grace is that there is a cooling breeze :D

retiredinfrance, what a great idea re the paper :T Which mountain do you think we have decluttered so far :rotfl: we will have to pick one & then decide after more clutter has gone which is the next size mountain :rotfl: Apparently the smallest mountain in the world is Mount Wycheproof in Australia :rotfl:

Have added a bit more to cs pile for delivery Wednesday

B608 - B612 Pretty jewellery box F, two cat beds F & two double bedsheets.

B613 - B614 DH has decluttered the French S*Y subscription & DSis’s French Or**ge subscription
    B615 DH has also decluttered my emails from the server from 80% to 37%:T

:beer: to all our successes numerous & weighty :beer:

MrsSD
    B615/B2018
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all.

Not a massive amount from me yet today. I have decluttered lots of veg into the veg patch, taken an alteration back to a customer and taken altered trousers back to mum. It's not making a massive difference space wise but it's something.

I'm just contemplating what to do next while drinking in the garden. I do have masses to clear from the sheds but I need to visit the tip when DS is at school or it starts a tantrum as he is not allowed to get out of the car at the tip.

Perhaps a shelf in the cellar may be sorted next.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 May 2018 at 5:25PM
    Options
    Hi All! :wave:

Well done everybody !!!8211; especially considering it!!!8217;s a bank holiday. :T

Well, I actually got up at 6.30 and did the kitchen and bathroom S&Ss +1. Today it was emptying and cleaning the swing and waste bins and wiping down the paintwork under the bathroom washbasin. I like to do these rooms this way because, effectively, the entire bathroom and kitchen get cleaned once a week and it!!!8217;s fairly painless.

Following on from the early start, I did the washing up, made the bed and then decided I!!!8217;d try the Slob!!!8217;s approach to decluttering by getting a binbag. TBH, I!!!8217;m fed up with trying to get the bedrooms reorganised when the kitchen!!!8217;s such a bombsite. So I concentrated on the kitchen and hall, binning or putting things away. The only procrasticlutter was some of the ironing backlog. I'm going to reorganise the kitchen eventually but let's not get ahead of ourselves here...:D

Of course, the hall will be much clearer once the car!!!8217;s back on the road and I can get the waiting piles completely away. The bad news is that it!!!8217;s getting eye-wateringly expensive and won!!!8217;t be ready before Wednesday. The good news is that I have an emergency fund and really amazing family and friends. So it was a relatively short pity party! :)

I was trying to keep the kitchen more under control, so most of the stuff is actually DD!!!8217;s. Not all of it. There was a heavy box of China Tea that I!!!8217;d got as a present. The only one who used to drink it was DD and she can!!!8217;t now. So why was I keeping it?

Anyway, the list below is what!!!8217;s gone either completely or into storage. The rest, mostly food and a few condiments, was amalgamated with my own stores.

Ironing Backlog, 5lbs
    Kitchen Rubbish Bag, 4.75lbs
    Recycling, 1.75lbs
    Kitchen/Hall Rubbish Bag, 3.5lbs
    Kitchen/Hall Recycling, 7lbs
    Handmixer, 1.5lbs
    Flask, 0.5lbs
    Scales, 1lb
    Apple Juice buried at back of Pantry (Oops! :o), 8.5lbs
    Cornflakes Amalgamated, 1lb
    Contact Lens Solution, 0.75lbs
    Baking Parchment/Foil, 0.25lbs
    Sugar pourer/dispenser, 0.75lbs

This last lot nearly broke my heart. It!!!8217;s all DD!!!8217;s. The Food Bin Bags were full of OOD items and the rest is getting toward the end of its lifespan. The reason it!!!8217;s so upsetting is that she couldn!!!8217;t be bothered eating or cooking, or even deciding what to eat. She!!!8217;s travelled extensively (independently) and cooks from scratch but she could barely leave her flat without forcing herself. AND I DIDN!!!8217;T KNOW/REALISE for a long time.

I have to add that she!!!8217;s getting better and I!!!8217;m immensely proud of her and the way she!!!8217;s been supporting friends in the same position. But this is 2 STONE of food sitting there being ignored !!!8211; plus the contents of the freezer. Fortunately I was able to visit, drag her back home for TLC and feeding when things got too much etc, so she didn!!!8217;t starve. But it!!!8217;s a lot...

Anyhoo:
    Food Bin Bag, 6lbs
    Food Bin Bag, 3.5lbs
    Lemon Juice, 1.75lbs
    Long Grain Rice, 0.5lbs
    Spices, 0.75lbs
    GF Bread Flour, 2lbs
    Tamari, 0.75lbs
    Chickpeas, 1lb
    Assorted packets and tins, 11lb
    GF Fusili, 0.5lbs
    Soya chunks, 0.25lbs

Totals
    Day!!!8217;s Total 64.25lbs
    Running total 921.25lbs
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me again I'm afraid. I've had a mad half hour and got rid of.....

8. 2 x pictures
    9. A glass jar wit a dried up paintbrush
    10. A spray bottle with mystery substance
    11. Dried shoe whitener
    12. Bit of underlay
    13. A piece of worktop edging
    14. A net wire
    15. Some rags
    16. A chipped mug
    17. Dried up expanding foam
    18. Rubbish window film
    19. Plastic thing
    20. Washing up brush
    21. Dried up liquid nails
    22. Phone holder
    23. Batteries
    24. Bits of tile
    25. Broken door lock
    26. Slippers
    27. Some leaflets and boxes recycled
    28. Used sandpaper
    29. Empty sealant tube
    30. 2 x phone chargers
    31. Broken electric sander.

I'm trying to imagine what I would feel like if I suddenly had move house. Not a pleasant thought at the moment.

Feeling :T:):D:p:T:):rotfl:
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • retiredinfrance
    Options
    Glad to hear DD is getting better. That is worth a ton of odd food to be thrown out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure