PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Quick reminder to myself - English decluttering stands at B341/B2018 :rotfl:
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yippee :j:j:j

The fridge, freezer, tumble dryer & gas bottle cooker have just been picked up :j:j Thank heavens :T:T:T. Sold a couple of weeks ago & already counted :(

Now DSis is finally packing the stuff for the car - unfortunately she thinks her car is a Tardis :o + we still haven’t emptied the FOUR cutlery drawers & she wants to take food :eek: Why it couldn’t have gone in the van I do not know but I keep forgetting I am a bit thick when it comes to organisation as my DSis keeps intimating :mad: Sorry to whinge but my DSis has the organisational skills of a lemming :rotfl: We do not stand a cat in hell’s chance of fitting it all in & any suggestions I make are ACTUALLY shouted down. How I am going to cope sat in a car with her I do not know _pale_ I am embarrassed to say that I am starting to feel sick at the thought of it. I must click my heels together & remind myself ‘There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home’

Rant over :D - I will just have another beer :beer::beer: or three :rotfl:

See you all in Blighty :D

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry I've been MIA. There’s been some great decluttering going on.

Alas, Mrs SD, no motorcycle... I have, however, obviously arrived just in time to offer you my sympathy and a dodgy hug :grouphug: re your predicament. And some beer :beer: It’s tempting to say leave her to pack it (as she plainly knows what she’s doing, whereas you, of course, do not! :rotfl:) But I don’t suppose that would be a stellar start to your house-sharing adventure. I think you’re very brave. My sister and I couldn’t get through a holiday without wanting to choke each other!

As predicted, the poorly car stymied my plans right royally. So I seem to have spent most of my time either doing bits and pieces or moving things around into piles ready for when I get my car back for a mammoth trip to the tip. :angry: I've rung a charity about getting a huge pile of stuff picked up (inc a futon/sofa bed, which will bump up the total nicely!), but they've not got back to me yet.

Listed below are things that have actually made it out of the house. I’ve sorted and shunted a fair bit more, but it’s not gone anywhere yet. BTW, I don’t normally count ironing, but this lot had been hanging round for so long that it had become clutter. :o

15th May – 2.5lbs
    Tin of just-in-date potatoes decluttered into roasting pan with chorizo and chicken :D, 1.5lbs
    Vegetable Oil (amalgamated), 0.5lbs
    Cocoa (Amalgamated), 0.25lbs
    Salted Peanuts, 0.25lbs

16th May – 3.75lbs
    Rags, 3lbs
    Shoes, 0.75lbs

19th May – 2lbs
    Assorted just-in-date nuts and OOD oats decluttered into Granola, 2lbs

20th May - 13lbs
    Radio, 3.75lbs
    Recycling, 4.25lbs
    Large Cardboard box, 1.5lbs
    Computer Cooler Fan, 2lbs
    Broken under-bed storage box, 1.5lbs

21st May – 2.75lbs
    Recycling, 2.75lbs

22nd May – 15lbs
    Ironing Backlog, 15lbs

Totals
    Week’s Total 39lbs
    Running total 664.25lbs
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    :j Welcome back basketcase :j You are doing really well :T Hope the cs contacts you soon !
    I am usually lucky with pick ups of big items and hundreds of books etc - BHF are pretty good at arranging a collection date (even if sometimes not as quick as I would like :D )

I have calmed down from my earlier rant (my DH is a saint :A & very free with his hugs to me & m DSis :D) Bit more decluttering done & yes it is midnight here :D

F2923 Crate of food + foil, clingfilm etc to farmer’s wife, Francoise, who came down to say goodbye after milking the cows :D with a present for DH - hm confit de canard & a large tin of hm cassoulet so that is
    F2924 - F2926 Food to U.K.
    F2927 Large black bin of cutlery etc to Tip tomorrow
    F2928 - F2930 Black bin bags of rubbish into wheelie bins (not emptied today :( but hopefully tomorrow :D)
    F2931 Half a wheelie bin full of recycling
    F2932 Bag of glass to Bottle Bank
    F2933 Small wooden box of cutlery to U.K.

Bon nuit

MrsSD
    F2933/F3500

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrsSD you are doing incredibly well.
    Good luck with your journey home.

702 a pencil pot binned.
    703-704 paperwork shredded
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I want to join you lovely people, as I have a lot of clutter to be seen at the moment! A mix of having been away, and general idleness, letting myself get sucked on to the computer, and helping a friend with her clutter! (she had booked decorators and needed a big clear out, having several rooms filled with her late family members' things)
    It's non-recycleable bin day tomorrow, so I'll focus on making sure that all that can go into that has, before I go out in about half-an-hour. Then tonight I'll start working through a list for an hour or so when I get home. Good luck to everyone.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would LOVE to join you if I may.

I have spent the past numbers of years decluttering but have become a bit stuck now I'm at the hard stuff. I have a young son who will be 7 soon and apart from a bit of stuff donated a week ago i have everything of his.....toys, clothes, washable nappies and so on. I do have an emotional attachment to all his stuff which makes getting rid of his stuff very difficult.

Actually I have an emotional attachment to most things.:o

I'm planning to have most of this house sorted by Christmas but I need something to keep me focussed.

Tomorrow i will start with my first list.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Another bag went at the weekend. This time full of stuff for my MiL to take to a church tabletop sale. Halfway through my 52 bags now.

Additionally my Nephew is inheriting a shelf unit from me. This has stood in the same place for at least ten years stacked double stacked with books and mags. I have cleared it off. It won't be going out of the house as he lives with us but a pile of books have been weeded from it. The books have been moved to different places and the space looks nice and clear. Which is very encouraging.

Not much else to report this week apart from a bag or rags take to the charity shop: 27/52
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Molillie and parsniphead – and welcome.:wave: I think this thread’s great. I found it really helped me decide what my target was and how to measure it. I could also clarify my own definition of clutter. For me, it’s anything that’s where it shouldn’t be and/or not doing what it’s supposed to do. So, for example, I wouldn’t normally think of ironing as clutter, but the backlog that’s built up (while I was decluttering!) isn’t flattened and put away and isn’t available for use till it’s been ironed. So it’s clutter. But your targets and definitions are up to you.

Parsniphead, it is really easy to get emotionally attached to things.. With me (well, all 3 of us chez basket) it’s books. I think the great thing is we’re all trying to get rid of a backlog of Stuff. If we weren’t the aim would be 18 in ’18! So, not only is everybody helpful and friendly, nobody judges.

Still moving things around into piles ready for when I get my car back for that mammoth trip to the tip. Hopefully in the next day or so. I rang the charity about the huge pile of stuff. They got back to me but they don’t accept everything (hessian-backed carpets only f’rinstance). Provided I can find the fire label thingy, the futon bed will be out though, plus much of the other stuff. Yay!.:j

Well done bit by bit. You’re well ahead of your target. I’m so glad to hear I’m not the only one who double-stacks books. (See above) A while back, we cleared 500 books out :eek: and you couldn’t tell!! :o But at least we know there’s only one layer! I’ll get round to books later in the year when I’ve sorted the bedrooms and re-organised the kitchen.

Mrs SD – your progress is amazing. I’m also impressed by the amount of paperwork you’ve demolished, villagelife – yet another thing to add to my list of Stuff To Nobble!

All I've managed today is a bit more shuffling around of Stuff before heading out to shop, plus I made an executive decision regarding some of DD’s clothes. I was waiting for a decision, but that’s not going to happen, so I’ve unloaded, sorted and vacuum-packed a bag and a suitcase of stuff. That’s about all my progress, apart from one last load of ironing backlog.

23rd May – 19lbs
    DD’s clothing (vacuum-packed and stored), 14lbs
    Ironing Backlog, 5lbs

Totals
    Day’s Total 19lbs
    Running total 683.25lbs

That's my lot and I'm off to bed. Happy decluttering all!
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome Molillie and parsniphead.This is a very inspiring thread-you will get into the swing of it in no time.We are a very friendly bunch,so don't forget to let us know how the decluttering is going.

I seem to have done nothing but shred paper this last week :eek:.It is all my partner's old papers-he had set them aside for shredding in DECEMBER :eek:.Anyway,tonight I finally emptied a large plastic box of paper-the bag of shredded paper is as high as the work-tops :eek::eek:.
    987-993:nearly 7" deep pile of partner's paper shredded (wish I had decided to count each centimetre as "1" on my count-the amount of time that goes into shredding an inch of paper in my little ASDA shredder that only take 6 pages at a time,keeps overheating and jamming,has got to be worth more than a 1 :rotfl::rotfl:

And to the charity shop this afternoon:
    994-995:2 filing boxes that I had emptied papers from last week (and shredded :rotfl:)
    996-997:2 blouse,both with labels
    998:pair of trousers from John Lewis,worn once by 14yo son last year because he had to dress up in something other than his usual attire (tracksuit pants :D)

999:When I was donating these this afternoon,I realised that,in my post last week,I hadn't mentioned that I had donated a huuuuuuuge bundle of plastic bags to a pet shop that has a sign in the window saying they would love any.Well,since plastic bags seem to be breeding in my kitchen cupboards sometimes,I am always happy to oblige :rotfl:
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family