PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DKG62 wrote: »
    Thought this was supposed to to be a dead cert?

Not sure why you thought that.

If the commission wasn't over 50%, then it wouldn't even make it across the start line, let alone be a dead cert. It would have been shot in the paddock.

Highly unlikely the Ombusdsman will find that the commission is different to what they have said.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2017 at 11:34PM
    Options
    Turned down by Nationwide in 2012 for miss sell PPI on mortgage.

Most MPPi complaints are turned down.
    Re applied for miss sell in August re Plevin and again turned down by Nationwide!

That is to be expected.
    Thought this was supposed to to be a dead cert?

No. The FCA report stated that they expected most regular premium PPI to not captured by plevin. Indeed, there was a consideration given to eliminate it from the plevin issue. However, they chose not to and said that firms will just have to reject it if they are approached on a case by case basis.
    Now gone to the Ombudsman, dealt with Ombudsman’s before don’t hold out much hope!

The FOS will be no help to you whatsoever. A complete waste of time. This is not a decision that is debatable. The rule on plevin is not about missale or not. It is about the excessive commission and that does not apply to MPPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 11:04PM
    Options
    DKG62 wrote: »
    Turned down by Nationwide in 2012 for miss sell PPI on mortgage.
    Re applied for miss sell in August re Plevin and again turned down by Nationwide! Thought this was supposed to to be a dead cert? Now gone to the Ombudsman, dealt with Ombudsman’s before don’t hold out much hope!
    You have no hope I'm afraid.

Plevin is not an opportunity to re-state your original complaint from 2012 and , even if successful, you would only have been granted a refund of any amount of non disclosed commission over 50%. You were never in line for a full refund of your PPI which was adjudged as not mis-sold five years ago.

Your "complaint" has been rejected because there was no commission over 50%.

Your original mis-selling complaint failed in 2012 and that complaint has not been re-considered at all as part of your Plevin "complaint".

You can fully expect the Ombudsman to further elaborate on your misunderstanding, but you won't be getting any refund I'm afraid.
  • seadees
    Options
    I tried reclaiming from the Yorkshire Building Society, where I was a member of Staff for the whole period of the PPI.
    I took out the first policy with my mortgage in 1985, and although I didn't have my paper work I could tell them that the loan mortgage roll no. ended in 80. I gave them the name of the Manager and address of the Branch where we worked.
    I took out a further advance, gave them the year, the amount, account no. ended 81, and name of Senior Clerk who sold it to me.
    I took out a Secured loan, gave them the year, the amount, account no. ended in 85, and name of Chief Clerk who sold it me.
    I was declined for all 3 loans as I was unable to provide them with any paper work and worse still they had no record of me working for them.
    I went to the Ombudsman, who upheld in favour of the YBS as, they said, the YBS had made sufficient searches for my details, and as I had no proof, my appeal was rejected.
    When I hear all these stories where people have received thousands of pounds back, I'm gutted to think my previous employer will not even acknowledge me working for them.

I would happily share my story with a newspaper, but they are not interested in the fails, only the success stories.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    Options
    Everyone is reliant on good records for a successful complaint. You obviously didn't have any and neither did they.

They did nothing wrong by getting rid of your details, in fact, they are expected to.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried reclaiming from the Yorkshire Building Society, where I was a member of Staff for the whole period of the PPI.

This is important as staff members generally get less consumer protection. Especially if they get discounts for buying in-house products on a non-advised basis.
    I took out the first policy with my mortgage in 1985, and although I didn't have my paper work I could tell them that the loan mortgage roll no. ended in 80. I gave them the name of the Manager and address of the Branch where we worked.

Are you sure you bought MPPI from a building society in 1985? That would be extremely rare as you are right at the start of when PPI became available with the banks. It didnt really become mainstream sold until the early 90s.

Are you perhaps mixing up MIG (if it was single premium) or life assurance (if it was regular premium)?
    When I hear all these stories where people have received thousands of pounds back, I'm gutted to think my previous employer will not even acknowledge me working for them.

I personally doubt you were paying PPI to begin with.
    I would happily share my story with a newspaper, but they are not interested in the fails, only the success stories.

Look at it objectively. You have no evidence you paid any PPI. You say you started at a time when PPI sales were rare (so doubt on whether you even had it). Why would a paper run a story on you?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    seadees wrote: »
    The newspapers jump on unsuccessful stories too, in your case though you have absolutely zero evidence to back up your allegations. You can't prove you had any PPI, you can't prove it was mis-sold to you and it is so long ago (32 years!) that your former employer has deleted you from their records.

Imagine the newspaper story; "Man says he worked for Bank and bought PPI thirty years ago. Bank says they haven't kept records in line with data protection legisalation. Ombudsman agrees"
    Not a very compelling storyline is it?

By the way, providing them with the names of staff and their positions at the time is never going to help find an old account as such records (when they still exist) are not linked in bank. archives.

As Dunston says, it's not even certain that you had PPI at all. PPI only began to be widely retailed at the end of the eighties.
    seadees wrote: »
    I hear all these stories where people have received thousands of pounds back
    You need to accept that you'll never be one of those people. Take comfort from the fact that it's unlikely that the insurance you purchased was actually PPI three decades ago.
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Reclaimed via Resolver for PPI on an Egg loan. It took about a month to receive a letter saying they're refunding £2200. :)
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • DKG62
    DKG62 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure why you thought that.

If the commission wasn't over 50%, then it wouldn't even make it across the start line, let alone be a dead cert. It would have been shot in the paddock.

Highly unlikely the Ombusdsman will find that the commission is different to what they have said.
    Nationwide have not quoted what commission they charged!
  • DKG62
    DKG62 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Most MPPi complaints are turned down.

That is to be expected.

No. The FCA report stated that they expected most regular premium PPI to not captured by plevin. Indeed, there was a consideration given to eliminate it from the plevin issue. However, they chose not to and said that firms will just have to reject it if they are approached on a case by case basis.

The FOS will be no help to you whatsoever. A complete waste of time. This is not a decision that is debatable. The rule on plevin is not about missale or not. It is about the excessive commission and that does not apply to MPPI.
    Nationwide in their rejection letter have not stated what their level of commission is!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback