Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Marcel
    0 WOW
    Cheap Car Hire - hiring a baby car seat
    • 25th Jun 13, 6:16 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap Car Hire - hiring a baby car seat 25th Jun 13 at 6:16 PM
    Have you ever hired a car seat, on arrival, at an airport?

We want to know which airports have places that will let you hire a baby car seat on arrival. For example, one MSE staff member found a shop at Malaga Airport. There, he rented a baby car seat that was half the cost charged by the original car hire firm.

He cancelled the seat with the original firm, and hired with the new company, making a big saving. See the Cheap Car Hire guide for more.

Have you done the same at other airports anywhere else?

Please let us know:
    Which airport you arrived at
    Which car hire company at the airport you used
    What you paid and how much you saved

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide .
    Last edited by Former MSE Marcel; 26-06-2013 at 3:22 PM.
Page 1
  • zoeisababe
    • 26th Jun 13, 9:22 AM
    • 26th Jun 13, 9:22 AM
    Hiring in Florida 3 car seats next April...5 a day is a lot..hope it isnt this much when I eventually book it!
    Married on 12.12.12 to the best man alive! - FACT!
  • coronalsection
    • 26th Jun 13, 11:08 AM
    • 26th Jun 13, 11:08 AM
    Worth noting that many airlines (perhaps not the budgets) will let you take child car seats as checked baggage for free. Just make sure they're well packed with some jumpers or something for protection, as no knowing how careful baggage handlers might (or might not!) be...
    • chris_aaaaa
    • By chris_aaaaa 26th Jun 13, 9:45 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    chris_aaaaa
    • 26th Jun 13, 9:45 PM
    • 26th Jun 13, 9:45 PM
    At Palma in Majorca, the seats are typically pricey EUR4.96/day (and typically icky).

I wish I had known that at the next junction on the motorway has a huge Carre-fore. We could have bought one for EUR39.
  • bluejo101
    • 27th Jun 13, 11:52 AM
    Travel with car seats
    • 27th Jun 13, 11:52 AM
    We always take our car seats with us. I can vouch for Easyjet and Jet 2 as well air lines in Oz and N America, that you can take a carseat AND a buggy for each child or infant. It seems so universal that I wonder if its law?
    Our baby seat weighs a ton but we've got a carry bag from Amazon by Sunshine Kids and we shove the older child's booster in with it. It goes on the outsize baggage belt. Not only is it free but you have the peace of mind that the seat you're using the other end is safe, comfortable and clean. We've had some shockers in the past before we knew we could take our own.
    It's also worth noting that between the ages of about 2-3 you can take the seat onboard (if its a proper EU certified one etc etc). For long haul its much more comfortable fora small child especially on night flights.
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 27th Jun 13, 9:50 PM
    • 9,961 Posts
    • 13,249 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 27th Jun 13, 9:50 PM
    • 27th Jun 13, 9:50 PM
    Buy Bubble Bums and take them with you. Pack in hand luggage for quick inflation on arrival.

http://www.bubblebum.co.uk/
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • sarahcostadelsol
    • 28th Jun 13, 1:30 PM
    • 28th Jun 13, 1:30 PM
    We have just been to Malaga Airport and reserved a car seat which was 90 per seat which was actually more than the hire of our car.
    We found a new company called Tots Store in the baggage reclaim area that hired fantastic seats for 21 per week. I strongly recommended them. Its great taking your own but its a hassle and for 21 is it worth it.
  • boongi
    • 31st Jul 13, 2:23 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 2:23 PM
    Buy a BoostApak for about 30
    It's a rucksack combined with Booster seat for ages 3+, and the child might be able to carry it themselves, and handy at home too for friends or use in another car eg with grandparents.
    • artichoke
    • By artichoke 14th Oct 13, 9:26 AM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 3,210 Thanks
    artichoke
    • 14th Oct 13, 9:26 AM
    • 14th Oct 13, 9:26 AM
    What are the legal requirements across Europe for car seats?

My kids are 8 and 10 and both sit on boosters in the UK - is this the same across europe? Is it dependant on height? or age?

I have just been quoted 10 a day from the car hire company especially as i want to hire for 2 kids for 10 days

Art
    Last edited by artichoke; 14-10-2013 at 9:36 AM.
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 14th Oct 13, 9:36 AM
    • 9,961 Posts
    • 13,249 Thanks
    bylromarha
    What are the legal requirements across Europe for car seats?

My kids are 8 and 10 and both sit on boosters in the UK - is this the same across europe?

I have just been quoted 10 a day from the car hire company especially as i want to hire for 2 kids for 10 days

Art
    Originally posted by artichoke
    I don't know the legal requirement for EU, but if you do need booster seats, I refer you to bubblebums...take them with you. When packed, they're a cylinder shape around 10cm diameter, about 20cm long,.

30 each new, resell on ebay when you get back and you'd probably get 15-20 sale price on each of them

http://www.bubblebum.co.uk/
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • Mxty
    • By Mxty 14th Oct 13, 2:14 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Mxty
    Good page I saw about baby seats in hired cars http://indigocarhire.co.uk/car-hire-with-baby-seat/ I imagine its some what similar with a child seat, you may want to buy one instead according to the advice (may be cheaper!)
  • jvmills
    We bought the Boostapack seat which doubles as backpack. Its a bit clunky as a backpack but we carried it as one of our hand luggage items and used it to keep essential kids travel stuff (babywipes, snacks, small toys etc).

Good value when you think a hired seat would set you back more than that for one week.
    • naepace
    • By naepace 26th Oct 13, 12:24 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    naepace
    EASYJET
    Car seat and booster seats
    Updated 06/06/2013

You can bring a car seat for your child to use during the flight as long as it complies with the manufacturer’s age/weight/height recommendations. (You may also bring a car seat for an infant under 2 if you have paid for a seat for them.)

The car seat must be:
    able to fit in the 42cm space between the arm rests on the aircraft seats
    upright and forward facing (rear-facing car seats cannot be accepted as only very few of these types of car seat are ‘approved for aircraft use’ in Europe).

Booster seats are allowed as your one piece of cabin baggage, or you can include a booster seat inside your one cabin bag. Please note that the cabin bag guarantee applies. If you choose to bring a maximum size bag or booster seat (56 x 45 x 25cm), it may have to go in the hold on a busy flight.

A booster seat does not qualify as a car seat for infants or children to use during take-off and landing, although you’re welcome to use it onboard when the seatbelt sign is off. If you wish to do this, please make sure it is within the 50 x 40 x 20cm guarantee size (or inside a bag of this size) to ensure it travels with you in the cabin. It will be stored in the overhead locker or under the seat in front during take-off and landing.

If you don’t plan to use the car seat or booster seat in-flight, please drop it at the Bag Drop desk to go in the hold. We carry car seats, booster seats, buggies, push chairs and travel cots for free. They don’t form part of your luggage allowance and you can bring up to two of these items per infant or child.
    Last edited by naepace; 26-10-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: update
  • Thomas55
    Cheap Car Hire - hiring a baby car seat
    Travel with baby then its first priority that to take own car or hire a car on cheap rate where proper seat arrangement available for baby as many are traveling a lot so chance of escaping babies from seat happening lot of times solution is to try Britax B-SAFE and Britax CHAPERONE one out of these two which are providing best facility for babies!!
    • busybird
    • By busybird 19th Mar 14, 2:06 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    busybird
    Does anyone know if child car seats are insured against damage if they are taken on a flight and placed in the hold? I am concerned about hiring one that isn't particularly nice when I travel to Palma with my grand daughter but realise it will be an additional item to keep track of if we take our own.
  • HFDMammy
    @Busybird
    How old is your grand daughter? If she's on a booster seat, buy a cheap one and just leave it when you've finished with it. If it's a full size seat and it's going in the hold, I would wrap it in see through plastic and tape it thoroughly so it doesnt get dirty/parts separated. This way the airline can see easily that it is a car seat - they often go "free" as in they don't count towards your luggage allowance (check with your airline). You'll need to check your insurance policy for whether or not it's covered
  • nickylisa
    Car hire Geneva airport
    Hi, has anyone hired a car from Geneva airport before with a child car seat? My daughter will be 2 we are flying with Easy jet but as it is a long weekend we are not checking any bags so not sure if this affects whether we can bring her car seat? I would probably hire one there encase it is damaged on the flight. Any suggestions on best company to use would be greatly receieved, there seems to be lots of options but no upfront fees for car seats.

Thanks

Lisa
    • VJRobs
    • By VJRobs 3rd Jul 14, 7:32 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    VJRobs
    Buy cheap seat at car boot and leave it behind!
    We have never paid the ridiculous amounts requested to hire a booster seat. Every year I have bought a very cheap but perfectly good, lightweight booster seat from our local car boot sale - the most I have paid is 1 but most have been 50p. We pop it in our suitcase and then into our hire car at the other end. When we return the hire car we just leave the booster seat behind.
    • rustyboy21
    • By rustyboy21 3rd Jul 14, 11:51 AM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    rustyboy21
    If you are travelling to the Canary Islands the following throw in FREE car seats and booster seats in every booking that need them. They also work out one of the cheapest to book with, with free no excess insurance AND no fuel policy !

www.arcarhire.com autoreisen car hire
  • *Dusty*
    We are heading to florida in May, as the airline allows a child seat as part of their luggage allowance I bought 3 of these

http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/car-seats-child-travel/booster-seats/halfords-essentials-group-3-booster-seat-blue

2 in red, one in blue. They've only to last 2 weeks and to be honest they're perfectly adequate for the requirements, I have tested them in my own car and the kids are quite happy.
    CC Debt October9000 7000 all finally on 0% Digging at the same pile but this month I've got a bigger shovel
    July 2012 finally DEBT FREE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,224Users online

Martin's Twitter