Cheap Car Hire - hiring a baby car seat

Options
Former_MSE_Marcel
Former_MSE_Marcel Posts: 37 Forumite
edited 18 January at 1:26PM in Flights, currency & car hire
articlealert.gifarticlealert.gifarticlealert.gifHave you ever hired a car seat, on arrival, at an airport?

We want to know which airports have places that will let you hire a baby car seat on arrival. For example, one MSE staff member found a shop at Malaga Airport. There, he rented a baby car seat that was half the cost charged by the original car hire firm.

He cancelled the seat with the original firm, and hired with the new company, making a big saving. See the Cheap Car Hire guide for more.

Have you done the same at other airports anywhere else?

Please let us know:
Which airport you arrived at
Which car hire company at the airport you used
What you paid and how much you saved

If you haven’t already,
join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

Comments

• zoeisababe
    zoeisababe Posts: 319 Forumite
    Options
    Hiring in Florida 3 car seats next April...£5 a day is a lot..hope it isnt this much when I eventually book it!
    :jMarried on 12.12.12 to the best man alive! - FACT!:j
  • coronalsection
    Options
    Worth noting that many airlines (perhaps not the budgets) will let you take child car seats as checked baggage for free. Just make sure they're well packed with some jumpers or something for protection, as no knowing how careful baggage handlers might (or might not!) be...
  • chris_aaaaa
    chris_aaaaa Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    At Palma in Majorca, the seats are typically pricey EUR4.96/day (and typically icky).

I wish I had known that at the next junction on the motorway has a huge Carre-fore. We could have bought one for EUR39.
  • bluejo101
    Options
    We always take our car seats with us. I can vouch for Easyjet and Jet 2 as well air lines in Oz and N America, that you can take a carseat AND a buggy for each child or infant. It seems so universal that I wonder if its law?
    Our baby seat weighs a ton but we've got a carry bag from Amazon by Sunshine Kids and we shove the older child's booster in with it. It goes on the outsize baggage belt. Not only is it free but you have the peace of mind that the seat you're using the other end is safe, comfortable and clean. We've had some shockers in the past before we knew we could take our own.
    It's also worth noting that between the ages of about 2-3 you can take the seat onboard (if its a proper EU certified one etc etc). For long haul its much more comfortable fora small child especially on night flights. :)
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Buy Bubble Bums and take them with you. Pack in hand luggage for quick inflation on arrival.

http://www.bubblebum.co.uk/
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • sarahcostadelsol
    Options
    We have just been to Malaga Airport and reserved a car seat which was 90€ per seat which was actually more than the hire of our car.
    We found a new company called Tots Store in the baggage reclaim area that hired fantastic seats for 21€ per week. I strongly recommended them. Its great taking your own but its a hassle and for 21€ is it worth it.
  • boongi
    boongi Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Buy a BoostApak for about £30
    It's a rucksack combined with Booster seat for ages 3+, and the child might be able to carry it themselves, and handy at home too for friends or use in another car eg with grandparents.
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2013 at 10:36AM
    Options
    What are the legal requirements across Europe for car seats?

My kids are 8 and 10 and both sit on boosters in the UK - is this the same across europe? Is it dependant on height? or age?

I have just been quoted £10 a day from the car hire company :eek::eek: especially as i want to hire for 2 kids for 10 days :eek:

Art
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    artichoke wrote: »
    What are the legal requirements across Europe for car seats?

My kids are 8 and 10 and both sit on boosters in the UK - is this the same across europe?

I have just been quoted £10 a day from the car hire company :eek::eek: especially as i want to hire for 2 kids for 10 days :eek:

Art

I don't know the legal requirement for EU, but if you do need booster seats, I refer you to bubblebums...take them with you. When packed, they're a cylinder shape around 10cm diameter, about 20cm long,.

£30 each new, resell on ebay when you get back and you'd probably get £15-£20 sale price on each of them

http://www.bubblebum.co.uk/
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Mxty
    Mxty Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Good page I saw about baby seats in hired cars http://indigocarhire.co.uk/car-hire-with-baby-seat/ I imagine its some what similar with a child seat, you may want to buy one instead according to the advice (may be cheaper!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback