PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Doing you want to post a link and we'll have a look?

http://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/peterlee/lindisfarne/

Nope, no typo.

I don't think it is over priced, but then we have the issue that if we did have to reduce the price we might not be able to afford our next home as we are moving to a more expensive area :/
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• kilby_007
    Options
    dawnylou wrote: »

Nope, no typo.

I don't think it is over priced, but then we have the issue that if we did have to reduce the price we might not be able to afford our next home as we are moving to a more expensive area :/

Sack the photographer. The high angles / looking down at the room doesn't do it any favours. The rooms seem very small (maybe they are?) You can do a lot with wide angle shots, being careful not to go too OTT to make the rooms seem massive, but at least you can take a level horizontal photo of the room that way.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Nope, no typo.

Thank you for the link.

You're in a tough market up there and still in negative equity, even if you sell at the advertised price, so the odds have been stacked against you. It isn't your fault that you bought at the top of the market, but that does have implications, even 9 years on.

You say you need to move and can't reduce, but I think price is the issue, although your verbose, photographically challenged agent isn't helping. Gosh, he does write some garbage! I'd ditch and switch, finding one who could do me a room plan, and re-launch in spring.

On the same page, there's a 3 bed in your area with a through reception room and larger bedrooms for only £5k more. It looks more spacious than yours and there's an integral garage just waiting to be converted. That's the reality you are up against.

I say this as someone who was up against it myself in 2008, trying to sell in a plunging market. Like you I 'needed' to relocate, although in truth, I didn't 'need' to do anything; it was a want, not a need. In the end I decided to lose about £60k and sell to get on with my life.

I'm not suggesting you drop by £60k! :rotfl:But like me, you have to decide what your priorities are and what sacrifices you might make if you want to get moved. I thought outside the box, and although I got what I wanted eventually, I missed that money and life has been much tougher without it for the past 8 years. I'd still do it again, though.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Nope, no typo.

Ok well it has to be price. I don't think I've ever heard of no viewing in 9/10 months before. A house prices right will have at least one viewing in that time.

What won't help are those awful photos. Why all high angles? Get a new EA on that will take sensible photos. Also the lounge all I see is purple curtains blocking light, they should be pushed right back for photos. Having said that when I'm looking I look at firstly area I want,then price and then a quick look at photos then I'll view, all in that order. price.....
  • dawnylou
    dawnylou Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks all.

It's such a tough decision for us. Basically we wanted to move closer to hubbys workplace so he doesn't spend as much time commuting and can therefore be with our boys a bit more. However on the back of that we felt there could be more opportunities for the boys in the area we were looking to move to and more chance of me finding work too, possibly.

We have discussed other options such as staying here and remortgaging to reduce expenditure or to remortgage and add extension. We just don't know what to do for the best. Our mortgage rate is over 4% so we are kind of kicking ourselves thinking we could have saved £100 per month since Jan had we remortgaged possibly...
    Also in the meantime we have seen three houses we loved and have lost them because we are still waiting for a buyer. Which is demotivating and disheartening. The houses in the area we were looking at sell quickly!!

Also.....we have made changes. The curtains in the front room are white, the nursery is now grey with white floor.

The rooms are pretty small. Maybe that's why he took the photos from that angle?

I'm currently doing a declutteriing process called Kon Mari so the house is upside down as I work through things one at a time. Once I'm done I guess we could do new photos?
    Dream of being mortgage free....
    APR 2007 - £109,825 FEB 2012 - £98,664.53:beer:

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 November 2016 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Once I'm done I guess we could do new photos?
    Definitely, and don't forget the garden area, especially those green slabs!

I know the house faces the wrong way for sun at the rear, and there's nowt you can do about that, but no need to draw attention to it. Use your summer photo.

Thanks for staying positive in the light of what we've said. It's easy to feel you are being judged, but most people here aren't like that, just brutally honest! As someone else once famously said, we're all just pixels and many have never been brave enough to put our houses up for others to see, me included.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Dawnylou thanks for the link.

I see you tarted up the back garden but kept in the old pic of the algaed tiles. I might paint out the boldest purple wallpaper and pull back the purple curtains to let more light in.

The pics are are at an odd angle and in 10 months surely the agents could have found a sunny day?

I might remove the lovely lady from the pic in the back garden - you?

Actually though I have posted my details twice now and nothing has made much difference so...price?
  • fudge7000
    fudge7000 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    I certainly find the angle of the photos off putting, also the green algae on the back garden.

I'd take it off the market, relaunch in spring, pay extra for the professional photos (was about £100) and try with a different agent.
    First win (October) - Apple Ipod off a radio competition
    November - new nokia mobile phone, £250 electrical voucher (both radio comptitions)
    March - 2 cinema tickets to see 27 dresses (radio again!)

:beer: :beer: :beer:
  • Bonfire_Bride
    Bonfire_Bride Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    edited 7 November 2016 at 10:51PM
    Options
    The house looks like a great FTB to be honest. The market is booming in some areas and then areas like South Wales (where I am) and possibly where you are, seem to be struggling a little.

Some new photos would help after you have finished decluttering but I don't think that is what is putting people off. The house is well presented...maybe a little too "bare" for my liking. Get some more fresh flowers in there, maybe lay the table and add a little character to the rooms.

Is the area good? anything that could be possibly putting people off?
  • 9ja4life
    9ja4life Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    So tenants have moved out and house is live on RM :j:beer:
    Really hoping for a quick sale as paying the rent and mortgage is a mini fortune! Good luck peeps!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback