O2 Recycling Scam

Options
I recently upgraded my phone with O2. I’ve been an O2 customer for 15+ years. As part of the upgrade process they give you an option to Recycle your phone through O2 Recycle and provide you with a quote of what your phone is worth to them. I have used this system before and have never experienced a problem until this time.

My old phone was an iPhone 7 (128GB). It was in full working order and was not damaged at the time I sent it to them. They quoted me that the phone was worth £170 and in a bid to get some money back towards my new upgrade purchase price and also to save the planet I decided to go ahead and Recycle it. As I said, I had used O2 Recycle before and never had any such problems.

O2 Recycle provided me with packaging to send back the phone in and also provided quite specific instructions about how to package my phone before sending to them, which I followed thinking that this would ensure it’s protection in transit. Therefore you can imagine my sheer disbelief to receive an email from them yesterday suggesting that they can only offer me £34 due to the phone having a cracked screen. I know that it is possible it could have been damaged in transit but I do find it quite hard to believe given that I followed all of the methods of packaging required and other phones I have sent in the past have been packaged in the same way and not been broken.

I also looked into how much a new screen would cost on an iPhone 7 and it seems that it could be anywhere between £70 and £100, so why the £136 reduction?

I have emailed O2 Recycle requesting a photo of my phone to prove the damage as it was in excellent condition when I sent it to them on Wednesday and have had a very shoddy response simply saying they don’t want to receive people’s phones back in that state and they would get a photo to me in due course but I am yet to receive this.

They give you 48 hours to tell them if you want your phone back and this runs out tomorrow. I have a suspicion that they will simply pay me the £34 and keep my phone as I don’t believe for a second that it is even damaged and of course all the while, they are quids in because they have my expensive iPhone, which is probably worth more to them than £170.

I have made a formal complaint to O2 about this as well as complaining to O2 Recycle and I am minded to report them to Trading Standards.

Tonight I have looked on Trust Pilot and as well as leaving my own review of the company I read many very similar stories to my own and it is really quite shocking to see how many people are being affected by this. I also googled and it seems this is a problem throughout mobile phone recycling companies.

I work in the legal progression and am minded to take this to the small claims court because whilst it perhaps isn’t worth the time and effort I do not think these companies should be able to continue to keep getting away with what seems to have been a problem for many years.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As with every post that contains the word scam, it's not a scam.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    Ask for your phone back. You did send it via an insured delivery method didn't you?

Whenever I've used mazuma, if the phone had value, I always sent via Special Delivery for that exact reason.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ditto: If you think your phone is not in fact damaged get it returned. Simple.

Your quote for a replacement screen has come from an Apple Store or an Apple authorised repair service? I ask because I had my iPhone 7 screen replaced locally for £34 and they threw in a service and a one-year guarantee.
  • LR800
    Options
    Just to clarify a few points, I actually asked O2 Recycle for a photograph of my phone so that I could make an informed decision as to whether I wanted it returned to me. After a few days I hadn't heard anything so I told them just to send the phone back to me. I had got my quote for a new screen direct from Apple but whilst I hadn't looked into it, I had my suspicions that it would cost me much less than Apple had quoted from another Apple approved repair company.

I have since received an email from them to say that on re-inspection of my phone they will now pay me the full amount quoted i.e. £170. I don't see how one day my phone can be allegedly broken and then because I have contested it it has now miraculously fixed itself. I really don't trust this company and anybody thinking of using them should do so with caution.
  • nsag
    nsag Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 February 2019 at 4:17PM
    Options
    Advice for anyone using o2 recycle online, take photos of phone, use extra packing when sending in post via special delivery. If you get a reduced offer for phone and you don’t agree dispute offer and ask for photographic proof.
    I did the above and disputed a reduction from £220 to £44 offered due to white spots on LCD screen.
    I disputed and asked for proof and also mentioned the various similar complaints on various forums I had been reading
    The next day my phone was re tested and was found to be in great condition and I was paid the full amount of £220
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is why I took the phone to CEX store to sell it no matter how much these recycle firm quote online...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Probably trying their luck and then when you have asked for photos and a return they have changed their mind.
  • jgc00
    jgc00 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I would be interested to know people's experiences with O2 Recyle.

I sent a practically mint iPhone 7 to them, 128GB. I decided to put it toward my bill after upgrading.

I was 'quoted' £130

I received this:

Our revised offer is:
    Item Quoted Price Revised Price Notes
    Apple iPhone 7 128GB O2 Network £130.00 £26.00 • Heavy damage to device : Metal casing has broken

'O2 Recycling' called me back, and made me a new offer :) £61.

'Metal casing has broken'

I was told "It is an automated process, so a few scratches constitute damage"

Now, obviously, a few things could have happened here :)

1. O2 broke the casing
    2. The courier broke the casing
    3. The casing is not broken at all

This is not new, see here: /community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Recycle-Is-A-SCAM/td-p/1027053

Once I receive the phone back I will elaborate more on the utter incompetence and aggressive service tactics they employ.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jgc00 wrote: »
    I would be interested to know people's experiences with O2 Recyle.

I sent a practically mint iPhone 7 to them, 128GB. I decided to put it toward my bill after upgrading.

I was 'quoted' £130

I received this:

Our revised offer is:
    Item Quoted Price Revised Price Notes
    Apple iPhone 7 128GB O2 Network £130.00 £26.00 • Heavy damage to device : Metal casing has broken

'O2 Recycling' called me back, and made me a new offer :) £61.

'Metal casing has broken'

I was told "It is an automated process, so a few scratches constitute damage"

Now, obviously, a few things could have happened here :)

1. O2 broke the casing
    2. The courier broke the casing
    3. The casing is not broken at all

This is not new, see here: /community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Recycle-Is-A-SCAM/td-p/1027053

Once I receive the phone back I will elaborate more on the utter incompetence and aggressive service tactics they employ.

I hear too many stories on these online recycling place.

At the end, I decided to sell it to CEX/ Game, etc on highstreet shop.
    You know what you get even though it could be lower than the quote online.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never used one of these, never will. The grading is too vague, deliberately. And we all describe our phones as 'mint' in the same way we all describe our cars in the same way, they are not!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure