The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Manchester bound on Sunday for the marathon! Do I feel ready .. No.
    Am I looking forward to a beer and stuffing my face with food afterwards ... Yes.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    I cannot wait to not be injured and start running again :mad:
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Manchester bound on Sunday for the marathon! Do I feel ready .. No.
    Am I looking forward to a beer and stuffing my face with food afterwards ... Yes.

Good luck! How's the training been going?
  • indesisiv
    Options
    spikyone wrote: »
    Good luck! How's the training been going?

Not too well, due to being injured (well I still am) and trying to balance doing miles and still being able to run! Hoping I can make it round in one piece to be honest.

Managed a couple of back to back 20 mile runs the last couple of weeks, only gentle but I know I can do it even in pain.
    I paced my mate around a 20 mile race week before last as she was desperate to get under 3hrs for 20 miles. So whilst 2 mins a mile slower than what I need to run at least my leg was ok.

Hows your training going?
  • spikyone
    Options
    Not too well, due to being injured (well I still am) and trying to balance doing miles and still being able to run! Hoping I can make it round in one piece to be honest.

Managed a couple of back to back 20 mile runs the last couple of weeks, only gentle but I know I can do it even in pain.
    I paced my mate around a 20 mile race week before last as she was desperate to get under 3hrs for 20 miles. So whilst 2 mins a mile slower than what I need to run at least my leg was ok.

Hows your training going?

Sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't get in the way of hitting your goal on Sunday, though at the end of the day getting to the finish line is an achievement in itself.

I've had a couple of niggles that both cleared fairly quickly; managed 24 miles a month back but last Sunday I ran 22 miles far too fast (running slow is difficult!) and my quads still ache! I think it will be touch and go as to whether I manage the <3:05 I want - I'm just hoping that fresh legs and having lots of energy from tapering will make the difference.
    On the plus side, the route is almost entirely flat, so no excuses there:

Elevation-Graphic-1024x156.png

Hope Sunday goes well :beer:
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Hope Sunday goes well :beer:

It went well for about 20 miles, then it rather fell apart. I was +/- 2 secs per mile for 20 miles on a 2:54 pace, then ended up with a few slow miles.
    But I managed to get in just under 3 hours so it wasn't a total disaster.
  • spikyone
    Options
    It went well for about 20 miles, then it rather fell apart. I was +/- 2 secs per mile for 20 miles on a 2:54 pace, then ended up with a few slow miles.
    But I managed to get in just under 3 hours so it wasn't a total disaster.

Wow, congratulations! Under 3 hours is a stunning time. :T What's your recovery plan, a few gentle runs this week?
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Wow, congratulations! Under 3 hours is a stunning time. :T What's your recovery plan, a few gentle runs this week?

Thanks, I am not sure if I am pleased or not as it was going great until mile 20 before it all fell to bits - but at least it has ticked the box of sub 3, and well under the GFA for London. So I can think about that for the next 2 years at least.

I went on a zwift 7 mile ride yesterday afternoon to blast the legs (7 miles in 20 mins @ just over 20mph) and then an easy 4 mile jog last night. (by easy I am talking short intervals of 6:40 min miles, with 10 min mile recoveries)

However I am now not running again for a bit as I am going to try and rest and get my injuries better. So I will be just on the bike until Sat. If my leg feels ok on Sat then I will go and see if I can set a PB at parkrun.
  • spikyone
    Options
    Thanks, I am not sure if I am pleased or not as it was going great until mile 20 before it all fell to bits - but at least it has ticked the box of sub 3, and well under the GFA for London. So I can think about that for the next 2 years at least.

Well, the London organisers took a sledgehammer to my hopes of getting a GFA last week, they've cut the GFA time to 3:00 - now a ridiculous 45 minutes faster than the equivalent women's GFA - and are capping the number of GFA places to 6000, so there's no guarantee of entry unless you're well inside the cut-off. The situation is bad enough that organisers are telling everyone to enter the ballot regardless of posting a GFA. :mad:

I'll cross my fingers that you still qualify with your time. I now know I will not be qualifying; I'm not quick enough to go under 3:00, but in any case I'm not even sure I'll be running this Sunday due to a thigh/knee problem that flared up last week. I have lots of ice and ibuprofen going on, and no running since Wednesday. You can probably imagine how that feels after 4 months of training... :sad:
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Well, the London organisers took a sledgehammer to my hopes of getting a GFA last week, they've cut the GFA time to 3:00 - now a ridiculous 45 minutes faster than the equivalent women's GFA - and are capping the number of GFA places to 6000, so there's no guarantee of entry unless you're well inside the cut-off. The situation is bad enough that organisers are telling everyone to enter the ballot regardless of posting a GFA. :mad:

I'll cross my fingers that you still qualify with your time. I now know I will not be qualifying; I'm not quick enough to go under 3:00, but in any case I'm not even sure I'll be running this Sunday due to a thigh/knee problem that flared up last week. I have lots of ice and ibuprofen going on, and no running since Wednesday. You can probably imagine how that feels after 4 months of training... :sad:

Hope you get better soon.. I've not run since manchester due to taking time out to get my injuries better. But I guess that is what you get for training for 4 months with injuries instead of letting it get better.

I have no idea why they didn't release the GFA times before the spring marathons! So many people were ecstatic that they got the target only to suddenly miss out afterwards. My target time went down by 10 mins (after I had ran my event)
    I still think that I will get in with my time as even if they reduce the time by 5 mins for each age group to lower the numbers I am still within that, I guess that is the bonus of being over 40, a bit of leeway. I'll be honest I probably would have missed the GFA time if I wasn't going for sub 3 as I was struggling so eased back to just get sub 3 (I was running 2:54 pace for the first 20 miles) but if I was just going sub GFA I would have eased back more as I thought it was 3:15 at the time.

Surely a change like that should have been made to give people time to train and change targets, and just be honest with it. At least you now know that the time may come down a bit if lots of people have the qualifying times. Just as an example Boston's GFT for under 40 this year was 3:00 but 2:57 was needed to actually get in. I don't mind that if it was done far enough in advance and I think that it will come down slightly further due to the numbers of people running those times. Likewise the female targets would come down if more than 3000 people had the times and chose run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport