Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 12:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 12:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 12:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Page 3
    • karl_a
    • By karl_a 11th May 17, 1:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    karl_a
    I applied to switch to Bulb via the MSE Cheap Energy Club on the 26 April.
    Should I have received an email/letter from them by now? All I've had is the initial MSE one saying my switch was in progress.
    • Merry Mawkin
    • By Merry Mawkin 11th May 17, 10:18 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Merry Mawkin
    footyguy couple of screen shots for you to compare both the same and both receive the £50 paid by the company not a cash back site. I dare can not added any more info or it will be deleted.

Tariff with CEC.
    upplier: Bulb
    Tariff Name: Vari-Fair
    Tariff Type: Variable
    Payment Method: Debit Card recurring payment
    Electricity Unit Rate: 13.000p per kWh
    Electricity Standing Charge: 27.30p per day (£99.64 per year)
    Gas Unit Rate: 2.628p per kWh
    Gas Standing Charge: 27.30p per day (£99.64 per year)
    Dual Fuel discount: £30/year
    Exit Fees: None
    (we donít believe in exit fees)
    Illustrative Dual Fuel cost on this tariff

Tariff via dummey acount useing referall link.
    plier: Bulb
    (we donít believe in exit fees)
    Assumed Annual Consumption: 4,203 kWh Electricity
    8,683 kWh Gas
    Estimated Annual Cost: £944
    Tariff Comparison Rate (TCR): 15.73p per kWh Electricity
    3.31p per kWh Gas
    Estimated costs include VAT at 5% and are based on current prices for the tariff shown above. The prices quoted may be different to how these are displayed on you
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th May 17, 8:01 AM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    ^^^

Of course their variable (expensive) tariff is the same no matter where you look

I asked about the MSE collective tariff from Bulb - you've missed it now

Edit: See this thread for discussion of just how expensive Bulb Variable rate tariff is
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5636197

As always, consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you
    Last edited by footyguy; 12-05-2017 at 8:26 AM.
    • Merry Mawkin
    • By Merry Mawkin 12th May 17, 11:23 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Merry Mawkin
    ^^^^
    I did do a switch through the MSE web site and the above tariff was the one I was given in April 2017. Do you know what the correct tariff I should have been quoted and when the collective rates stopped?
    Thanks
  • Will at Bulb
    Hi folks,

Just to quickly clear a few things up:

^^^^
    I did do a switch through the MSE web site and the above tariff was the one I was given in April 2017. Do you know what the correct tariff I should have been quoted and when the collective rates stopped?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Merry Mawkin
    We have not done any collectives with MSE this year and do not plan to do any more ever. This isn't a reflection of MSE, but rather philosphically we don't think it's fair to have some members on a better tariff than others. We do not offer any fixeds at all, only our variable tariff.

I applied to switch to Bulb via the MSE Cheap Energy Club on the 26 April.
    Should I have received an email/letter from them by now? All I've had is the initial MSE one saying my switch was in progress.
    Originally posted by karl_a
    That's definitely not right. You should have received an email titled "Well hello there" on the 27th April. If you give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 we can look into what's happened and sort it out for you. Don't worry. We pick up very quickly.

I went to switch to Bulb and found part way through that I woud be charged almost £100 pa extra because I appear to have an IGT.
    Originally posted by icharus
    Since Project Nexus launched this week we are no longer charging IGT charges. Here's a quick article we've written about it - https://blog.bulb.co.uk/pro-gas-tination-get-know-project-nexus/
    Last edited by Will at Bulb; 12-05-2017 at 2:24 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    footyguy couple of screen shots for you to compare both the same and both receive the £50 paid by the company not a cash back site. I dare can not added any more info or it will be deleted.

Tariff with CEC.
    upplier: Bulb
    (we don’t believe in exit fees)

Tariff via dummey acount useing referall link.
    plier: Bulb
    (we don’t believe in exit fees)
    Assumed Annual Consumption: 4,203 kWh Electricity
    8,683 kWh Gas
    Estimated Annual Cost: £944
    Tariff Comparison Rate (TCR): 15.73p per kWh Electricity
    3.31p per kWh Gas
    Estimated costs include VAT at 5% and are based on current prices for the tariff shown above. The prices quoted may be different to how these are displayed on you
    ^^^^
    Thanks
    You didn't say which supply region you are in, but based on the prices quotes, I presume you are in the Seeboard/South East region

If correct, you could buy your energy for about £50 a year less from a supplier called One Select (£895/year)

But your best option currently would be to buy your gas from Zog on their Mercury 12 tariff
    2.977p per kWh but only 10.50p per day (£38.32 per year) standing charge
    This would cost you £297p.a

... and your electricity from Eon (E.ON Saver Fixed 1 Year v9)
    12.537p per kWh and only 16.42p per day (£59.94 per year) standing charge
    less £5p.a. online billing discount
    This would cost you £582p.a

This would give a total cost of just £879p.a (a saving over Bulb of £65p.a before any possible cashback)

As there is no early exit fee with Bulb, why not switch today and start saving asap?
    I don't think you'll find any cashback for Zog, but you should be able to obtain some possible cashback for Eon (CEC will pay you £15 but you can probably do even better than that)

Data courtesy of Energyhelpline
    Last edited by footyguy; 12-05-2017 at 2:08 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th May 17, 2:13 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    Since Project Nexus launched this week we are no longer charging IGT charges. Here's a quick article we've written about it - https://blog.bulb.co.uk/pro-gas-tination-get-know-project-nexus/.
    Originally posted by Will at Bulb
    That's good to hear, Will. £100 p.a surcharge really was rip-off, imho.
    No one else charges extra afaik (although admittedly not all suppliers support IGT customers)

Unable to read your link, though. All I get is
    Error: Server Error

The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.Please try again in 30 seconds.

Been like that for a lot longer than 30 seconds...

Edit: Link is working again now
    Last edited by footyguy; 12-05-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    • Jacobhc
    • By Jacobhc 29th May 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jacobhc
    The Switch So Far...
    I am glad to be rid of EDF and nPower over the years, Bulb are brilliant but a few teething problems, make sure to give your own readings, estimates seem to always be wrong with all energy companies. Watch your bills like a hawk, we were told what our credit balance was on recent bill and it was wrong, this does not show up online unless looking at your bill. I mean the breakdown what you have paid in every month, does not show balance...

Overall think its great how competitive Bulb are and shows up the rest of the greedy big 6!!!
    Last edited by Jacobhc; 29-05-2017 at 1:03 PM.
    • George_Schoening
    • By George_Schoening 2nd Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    George_Schoening
    Just switched yesterday afternoon via CEC and received a welcome Email already this morning. Excellent ..
    Looking forward what follows next...
    • moxter
    • By moxter 4th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    moxter
    I switched to Bulb from Good Energy a few weeks ago.

First a word on Good Energy and why I switched. I used to work in marketing/market research and there was always lots of talk about brand "trust". For the most part that's a load of nonsense, it just makes marketing people feel better. But in my experience there are a handful of companies who I'd genuinely trust to do the right thing. Good Energy are one of them and I'd go out of my way to recommend them.

Anyhow, I switched. Given how much of a fan I was of Good Energy, you might ask why. Two reasons:
    Firstly, because I like to think of Bulb as being a bit like Good Energy were a few years ago: the new kid on the block, a young company, trying new things, trying to get started, 100% renewable...and so deserving of some support.

I'd be disingenuous if I said that was the main reason why, though. The main reason was cost. Bulb were quite significantly cheaper for me (2 adults + 1 child, 3 bedroom house, London, slightly-below-average energy consumers). We're talking a couple of hundred quid a year cheaper.

So far, so good. The switch was seamless and I've had no reason to contact them so far so can't comment on customer service. There's a joining bonus and I also got a voucher for sexy lightbulb manufacturer (!) Plumen, which I haven't used but if I felt a bit more flush I would as they are beautiful.The website is exceptionally clear and simple, the tariff is set out very clearly, submitting meter readings is simple. As usual the monthly payments are far higher than I consumer so in a few months we're already hundreds of pounds in credit, but that's the same with all providers in my view, and I presume there's some sort of annual review once they have enough data, or the option to contact them yourself to bring the payments down.

However - a warning message to Bulb: if they let me down IN ANY WAY then I'll be back to GE in a heartbeat.
  • Will at Bulb
    However - a warning message to Bulb: if they let me down IN ANY WAY then I'll be back to GE in a heartbeat.
    Originally posted by moxter
    Heard and understood! Giving our members the best experience is our #1 goal. We started Bulb because we saw that existing companies were giving such poor service without any transparency and wanted to change things. We work relentlessly to give better service all the time. We won't let you down.
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
    • GingerFurball
    • By GingerFurball 6th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    GingerFurball
    Switched yesterday, was pleasantly surprised that a renewable company was so high up in the cheapest tariffs list.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
    • The Reaper
    • By The Reaper 27th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    The Reaper
    Can bulb energy supply an economy 7 meter on a single rate (adding the two readings) ?

• The Reaper
    • By The Reaper 27th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    The Reaper
    And if so, is anyone offering a referral split?

• Will at Bulb
    Can bulb energy supply an economy 7 meter on a single rate (adding the two readings) ?
    Originally posted by The Reaper
    Yep, we can. Just drop us an email after you've signed up to let us know that you'd like to be on a single rate.
    • benj111
    • By benj111 28th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    benj111
    Been with bulb for nearly 2 months now.

Moved away from Ecotricity and I think I did it at the right time. we had problems getting the final bill as they went over to paperless billing but removed our access to the account?! and had some issues with the closing bill, but Ecotricity were absolutely useless, it was Bulb doing all the leg work, sorting it out. +1 for their customer service.

On top of that they were the second cheapest supplier (overall) 2nd only to solarplicity (new name for dodgy supplier, didn't want to take the risk) but within a week had dropped their rates so the were the cheapest anyway!

I was a bit dubious of the monthly payment in advance, I'd much rather send a meter reading and get a bill back but it seems to be working ok in practise, and looking at Bulb's forums, Bulb seem to be ok with paying money back when you have a decent balance so we will see.

After reading this thread though I am a bit peeved that I missed out on the choc chocs though. The world would be a better place if all utilities sent their new customers chocolates.
    • lilypoopoo60
    • By lilypoopoo60 1st Aug 17, 3:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lilypoopoo60
    Hi - would like to switch to Bulb from British gas, I have their smart meter and couldn't join Scottish power because of that. How do I stand with Bulb in respect of the meter and I also have solar panels which I pay for monthly Via electric bill.......would either of these be a problem. I do hope not having read the bulb reviews and the savings I could make!
    • Bez3000
    • By Bez3000 1st Aug 17, 10:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bez3000
    Currently with British Gas and looking at alternative options after today's price increase announcements. A renewable energy provider would be our preference and so Bulb is a consideration. I'm happy to have found this thread because the other reviews I'd found weren't to be trusted. TrustPilot is full of people rating 5 stars and then pushing their own £50 referral codes, which undermines every review on the site. I imagine Bulb are inviting this type of review which is bad practice in my eyes. Ideally looking for a fixed rate deal so will have to keep an eye on Bulbs offers to see what's available. Thanks to everyone who's posted their thoughts in this thread so far. It's appreciated.
    • mrspixie
    • By mrspixie 2nd Aug 17, 12:48 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mrspixie
    I've just applied to switch to Bulb. Hope all goes well, switching from British Gas who I have been with for 9 years.
    This is my first ever switch
  • Will at Bulb
    Hi - would like to switch to Bulb from British gas, I have their smart meter and couldn't join Scottish power because of that. How do I stand with Bulb in respect of the meter and I also have solar panels which I pay for monthly Via electric bill.......would either of these be a problem. I do hope not having read the bulb reviews and the savings I could make!
    Originally posted by lilypoopoo60
    You can absolutely join us with a BG smart meter, but it will work as a normal meter. We can't read it remotely yet. Most suppliers can't read other suppliers smart meters at the moment, which is why we're waiting until the second generation of smart meters comes out in January without this limitation before we roll out ours.

We don't have a feed in tariff for your solar panels at the moment, so these will have to stay with your current supplier for now I'm afraid. It won't cause any problems for your elecricity and gas to move without it though.

TrustPilot is full of people rating 5 stars and then pushing their own £50 referral codes, which undermines every review on the site. I imagine Bulb are inviting this type of review which is bad practice in my eyes. Ideally looking for a fixed rate deal so will have to keep an eye on Bulbs offers to see what's available. Thanks to everyone who's posted their thoughts in this thread so far. It's appreciated.
    Originally posted by Bez3000
    We don't ask or encourage people to share their link on Trustpilot, they just do it themselves. when we do ask members to review us, most of those reviews don't have a link in them. We usually invite members to review us about once a month, the last batch being on the 25th of July, so try taking a look at reviews from them if you want to see reviews with out links in

We'll never have a fixed tariff. We only have one variable tariff. And since we use this tariff for acquisition you can be sure that we won't unfairly increase it. We're infact pretty astounded that BG felt the need to increase theirs as energy prices have come down a lot this year.

I've just applied to switch to Bulb. Hope all goes well, switching from British Gas who I have been with for 9 years.
    This is my first ever switch
    Originally posted by mrspixie
    Woop woop. Great work switching
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

460Posts Today

5,149Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin