Is the landline dead?

Options

Comments

• popps1
    popps1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Myself and my son both pay full landline rental just to have broadband yet use mobiles. Shouldn't be necessary should be able to just have broadband somehow.
  • PrincessPlaty
    PrincessPlaty Posts: 2,084 Forumite
    Options
    Only ever use the landline for calling 0800 numbers (i get 0870 etc free from my mobile). Only time it ever rings its either my mum or the MIL i dont even know the number for it!
  • lkmc01
    lkmc01 Posts: 967 Forumite
    Options
    When I'm at home I use my landline to ring other landlines as its free. There is no point in using my minutes from my mobile and hence having a higher mobile allowance package. I also use my landline for 0870 and 0845 as they are also free.

When I'm at home and want to ring a mobile I use my mobile as there is no need then for me to add the mobiles package to my landline.

When I am out I use my mobile for everything but only ring 0845 and 0870 when at home.

I find this is the best and cheapest way to keep my landline and mobile monthly costs to the minimum.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Not having as landline No is sefish, why should we have to pay 15p Pm to call you? or 30p pm from a cell phone?. Majorly annoying.

I would say that it annoys the heck out of me if I only have a mobile number as it would cost me a fortune to call.

Any calls I make are from my home phone unless away on holiday and keeping in touch or very short important calls when I will use my mobile. I suspect this may be a generational thing as those of us of a certain age didn't grow up with mobiles
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    It is for me! Mobile BB, cheap PAYG mobile phone work for me.

I use email for as my preferred communication, and otherwise text if possible as I detest talking on the phone.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Flybywyre
    Options
    Pretty amazing really.
    I only have a landline because I need a fast internet access. I would really love to ditch BT for ripping me off. My last bill comprised of:

Payment processing fee: £5.67
    Late payment fee : £7.50
    No calls fee : £3.00

YES. THEY CHARGE ME FOR NOT USING THE PHONE!!!

I have NO CHOICE but to pay these outrageous charges for a telephone line that I do not use for telephone calls.

CAN THESE CHARGES REALLY BE LEGAL ?

And for the simple minded out there, please do not advise me as to how I can avoid the payment processing fee and late payment fee.
    I am sure there are some trains you can go and spot somewhere.

Regards
    FBW
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have to keep my landline because a) mobile signals are very poor in my house
    b) no Virgin cable
    BUT to keep costs down 1. pay rental 12 mnths in advance to my ISP who then give me free E & W/E calls in with b/band package 2. use 18185 for all daytime calls 3. use SayNo to 0870 site for alternatives to 0844/5 or 0870/1 numbers whenever possible. & 4. send texts to mobiles asking mobile phone users to phone me since they nearly all get free minutes on contract!!!
  • Greybeard0151
    Greybeard0151 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2012 at 12:27PM
    Options
    With Plusnet, for £5 extra per month I can make virtually all the calls I need to, including to most EU countries. But then I know very few people who are totally hooked on mobiles :)
  • JooFroo
    JooFroo Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2012 at 2:48PM
    Options
    I have a landline which is used for broadband and all telephone calls, as they are free at evenings and weekends. I really object to calling a mobile as I have to pay - perhaps I'm just mean! My line rental, phone and broadband bill rarely exceeds £20 per month, but when my son was without a landline for a few months I really noticed the increase in charges as I had to ring his mobile.

Probably it's a generation thing - I'm 61, and only bought my first mobile about 12 years ago, unlike children now who seem to have them from a very early age.
  • libertino
    libertino Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Broadband is the reason I got a landline. However, if I didn't have a landline I'm sure I'd spend much of the tenner-ish a month it costs on making calls from my mobile instead. As it is, I'm on a £1 a month TalkMobile contract with only 25 inclusive minutes, which is a bargain, so an individual call is usually free/cheaper from my landline (disregarding the flat fee).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure