Is the landline dead?

Comments

• libertino
    libertino Posts: 217 Forumite
    Flybywyre wrote: »
    No calls fee : £3.00

YES. THEY CHARGE ME FOR NOT USING THE PHONE!!!

I remember this from BT. Can't you make the minimum number of calls during times when it's free?
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Flybywyre wrote: »
    And for the simple minded out there, please do not advise me as to how I can avoid the payment processing fee and late payment fee.
    I am sure there are some trains you can go and spot somewhere.

Regards
    FBW

Bizarre comment! Go and moan about the obvious elsewhere if you don't want it discussed here.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Everyone seems to be missing the nucleus of the problem - a landline is not really required for broadband - it has been this way for some time - eg WiFi hotspots etc - it would take very little in funds to expand and improve the network - How do you think the military and similar organizations get world wide super fast internet connections

Secondly even if you abandon the landline which is now defunct as are casset players and vinyl record players - the only thing that will happen is that the owners and ruling bodies will change tack and then constantly price hike or similar mobile phone costs and contracts

It is not enough to agree but for everyone to question and be aware and actually get off your butts and DO SOMETHING other than talk and plagiarize everything you think and do merely because you are incapable of simple abstract thought or an original idea without it being given to you or done for you

Things you may not realize - there is no economic crisis - there never was and here is an even simpler thought for all those idiots out there - if there was an economic crisis how is it possible for executive bonuses to be paid - movies to be made and their so called leading actors/esses to be paid the vast sums they do - I could give more examples but I would rather not strain the limited cognitive processes of people who can not and will not think for themselves
  • Norma_Desmond
    Norma_Desmond Posts: 4,417 Forumite
    Neither DH or I actually own a mobile phone apart from a 10 year old 'emergency' one that lives in the car......and even if where we live had decent reception we'd still choose not to own them because we're quite solitary people who don't want to be 'available' 24/7 or answer endless inane calls from work/friends/colleagues etc.

Landline does us just fine for the few calls we make/receive.
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    sd08aus wrote: »
    - I could give more examples but I would rather not strain the limited cognitive processes of people who can not and will not think for themselves

Off you pop then.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • stevemcol wrote: »
    Off you pop then.

Thats what you got from that?????????????

Well I guess my point does not need any further explanation
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We only use our landline for the BB and for making 0800 and 0844/0845 etc calls.

We could cancel the landline with regards to BB as we're with Virgin and you don't need a landline for their BB, but we'd only save about £4 a month, so we may aswell keep it for calling the numbers above and for emergencies, ie dead mobile or no signal.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • jud!th
    jud!th Posts: 126 Forumite
    No-one ever rings our landline except people trying to sell us things. And my 96 year old grandmother who has pressed the wrong speed dial button and doesn't want to speak to us (and refuses when we try).

People who ring my mobile actually want to speak to me, and I can see who's calling anyway, in case I don't want to speak to them...

I tried to get virginmedia to cancel our landline the other day and only supply us with broadband. The conclusion of the call (after I threatened to leave altogether) was that I could get broadband only (M) for £22.50 a month, or broadband and phone (L) for £21 a month. He said if I didn't want a landline just unplug it. But since we now get free calls after 7pm and at weekends on the landline, we've just turned off the ringer. I wonder why it was in their interests to keep me with a landline when I didn't want one?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,273
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    sd08aus wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be missing the nucleus of the problem - a landline is not really required for broadband - it has been this way for some time - eg WiFi hotspots etc - it would take very little in funds to expand and improve the network - How do you think the military and similar organizations get world wide super fast internet connections

Secondly even if you abandon the landline which is now defunct as are casset players and vinyl record players - the only thing that will happen is that the owners and ruling bodies will change tack and then constantly price hike or similar mobile phone costs and contracts

It is not enough to agree but for everyone to question and be aware and actually get off your butts and DO SOMETHING other than talk and plagiarize everything you think and do merely because you are incapable of simple abstract thought or an original idea without it being given to you or done for you

Things you may not realize - there is no economic crisis - there never was and here is an even simpler thought for all those idiots out there - if there was an economic crisis how is it possible for executive bonuses to be paid - movies to be made and their so called leading actors/esses to be paid the vast sums they do - I could give more examples but I would rather not strain the limited cognitive processes of people who can not and will not think for themselves

Small suggestion. Calling people idiots is not a very good way to win them on side when you're trying to persuade them of an argument. Also I would appreciate you following the rules at the top of this page "Be nice to all MoneySavers". If you can't do that, then I don't think this forum is for you.

Kind regards

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would say that it annoys the heck out of me if I only have a mobile number as it would cost me a fortune to call.

Any calls I make are from my home phone unless away on holiday and keeping in touch or very short important calls when I will use my mobile. I suspect this may be a generational thing as those of us of a certain age didn't grow up with mobiles
    Yes, but thats you choice if you only want a Mobile, If I want to call someone that only has a mobile, I have no choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure