Is the landline dead?

Comments

• rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Small suggestion. Calling people idiots is not a very good way to win them on side when you're trying to persuade them of an argument. Also I would appreciate you following the rules at the top of this page "Be nice to all MoneySavers". If you can't do that, then I don't think this forum is for you.

Kind regards

Martin

Martin... I think dear old BT (bless her ology heart) is popping in all over the MSE forum as newbie posters to try and kid(ology) people that are realising what a rip off their 'service' is to think twice about leaving.

Being charged for NOT using the phone... yep sounds another benefit of privatising the telephone network!
  • rickbonar
    jud!th wrote: »
    No-one ever rings our landline except people trying to sell us things. And my 96 year old grandmother who has pressed the wrong speed dial button and doesn't want to speak to us (and refuses when we try).

People who ring my mobile actually want to speak to me, and I can see who's calling anyway, in case I don't want to speak to them...

I tried to get virginmedia to cancel our landline the other day and only supply us with broadband. The conclusion of the call (after I threatened to leave altogether) was that I could get broadband only (M) for £22.50 a month, or broadband and phone (L) for £21 a month. He said if I didn't want a landline just unplug it. But since we now get free calls after 7pm and at weekends on the landline, we've just turned off the ringer. I wonder why it was in their interests to keep me with a landline when I didn't want one?

I suspect you've got a point with the idea that the landline is used by salesmen to peddle double glazing, computer helpline scammers, you have won a prize dial 9 etc.

Perhaps it is the telephone provider that gives out your number to these sellers at a price?
    That's the reason they want you to have a phone... they could just supply broadband but know they can make more be you having to have a phone that you don't neccessarily need.

But if you run a business like me especially from home then I believe you really do need a landline.
  • rickbonar
    Right then, back to work!!!
  • rickbonar wrote: »
    Martin... I think dear old BT (bless her ology heart) is popping in all over the MSE forum as newbie posters to try and kid(ology) people that are realising what a rip off their 'service' is to think twice about leaving.

Being charged for NOT using the phone... yep sounds another benefit of privatising the telephone network!

The idea was not to make people think twice about leaving but to understand that whatever replacement they use will, at some point, be just as abused as BT and similar organizations are abusing them now and intend to in the future - basically meaning they should be aware of this and find a solution to restrict or cancel such a process from happening again

As for calling people idiots incapable of original thought - unfortunately most people do not listen and hear or even understand what is going on around them and has been for some time - usually the only way to get them to maybe take even a partial notice is to give them a crack across head - you may not like it but you have to see the FACTS and REALITY behind such methods occasionally.

If you are going to talk about a subject at least talk about it in realistic terms otherwise the whole venture goes in circles going nowhere
  • rickbonar
    I'm now with talktalk and the abuse isn't as bad as when I was with BT.

For example they don't charge if you make no phone calls unlike BT who do. And there was a site that made a comparison of the charges of each phone and broadband provider ... I don't know if uswitch etc do this?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,824
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Yes, but thats you choice if you only want a Mobile, If I want to call someone that only has a mobile, I have no choice.

Yes its the individuals choice to only have a mobile, I accept that. Its also my choice to be annoyed at how expensive it is to call one. :o
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Bootsox
    Bootsox Posts: 171 Forumite
    Pmarmalade wrote: »
    The only good thing about a landline as far as I'm concerned... it can help you in financial applications!

I know exactly where you are coming from on this one, some on-line applications insist (and electronically check) that you provide a bona fida landline number.

Otherwise, I am on the cusp of ditching my landline (ADSL broadband speed useless anyway) once my lock in with TalkTalk ends.

Already own and pay for a mobile and have a Huawei E586 MIFI unit (Amazon do SIM only data deals which are ok, providing you are not into streaming).

Any rip off 0800, 0870 numbers I can phone via VoipCheap or at work.
  • Like a lot of others here, landline now only for broadband .... and OH to talk to MIL every weekend! :p
    A few years ago, we used Talktalk's supposedly free evening & weekend phone package, with broadband; for some reason, the monthly bill kept going up - and up - and up. When it went to £70 - plus per month, OH said "enough"! :cool:
    NOW - all the family use mobiles with a provider who gives free calls in the same network and our phone land-line rental, charges and broadband are less than £30/month, whilst our mobile charges are much-reduced too. :j
  • rickbonar wrote: »

:money:Got to laugh!

I'm the newbie now!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • This online poll is biased. Over 60s are most in favour of landline & many are excluded from this poll as they are the least likely to have internet.
    Calls from landlines can be free using 0800 numbers & certain time frames for national calls & 0854 numbers. Reception is often better too. Obviously mobiles have their place when away from home. I use both according to where I am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure