Affordable mobiles

Options
I bought a phone on a new contract from Affordable Mobiles on Friday. At the time it guaranteed me that it would be delivered the next day pending a credit check. The phone was showing as 'limited stock' when I bought it.

It didn't arrive on Saturday. I logged in to my order this morning and it said that I had passed the check, but that the phone was out of stock and they were waiting to get it back in. When I clicked on the phone itself, it was still saying 'limited stock' on the page at the exact same time that my order was saying they were waiting to get some in. To me, limited stock means that they have stock in ready to go, not that they don't have any stock at all.

Anyway, at some point this afternoon their page changed to say deliverable within 2-3 days.

I know affordable mobiles has mixed reviews but I know a few people who ordered from them and they got the phone the next day. I also know that online reviews skew towards the negative so I took what I thought was a relatively small chance.

My problem is that I'm pretty sure selling something that you don't have is a dubious practice legally. At the very least it's false advertising to outright say that they have the phone in stock and it'll be delivered the next day when they clearly know that it wont. Aside from affordable mobiles themselves, who do I complain to about this? Unfortunately I don't have screenshots as I was trying to sort this out at work while doing a ton of other stuff. Normally I wouldn't care, but not having the phone over the weekend was a pain in the backside and the clear deception on their site has got my back up somewhat.

Any help would be appreciated, if there's anything I can do at all.

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Such a "deception" is actually quite common with other dealers too. The last phone I ordered took about 3 weeks to arrive (a different dealer, though I've nver had a phone from them yet which arrived as promised).

Unless there is a clause in the T&C you agreed to (and even if there is) your only real option is to cancel the order.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could complain to the Advertising Standards Authority who if they agree with you, will tell them not to do it again.
  • jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That advice above is wrong - ASA will only deal with things not on their own website. Trading Standards are who you should complain to. If BBC Watchdog got a few similar complaints they may do a sting & test it out.

Did your phone ever arrive? Other than the stock issue, any feedback on affordable mobiles?
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trading Standards doesn't take complaints directly from the public now.
  • LauraNic
    Options
    I bought a contract deal from Affordable mobiles 2 weeks ago. I had 2 weeks to try the phone and send it back if I didn't like it. So I did, and ordered another one which I'm happy with. The one I sent back was in pristine condition as required for sending back. I took photos before posting to show it was immaculate with no marks.It came with a cover and was in the cover the whole time I had it. They are now emailing saying it is not in pristine condition and I have to either take the contract, meaning I have 2 at the same time, or pay £240 for the phone. I can't afford to pay this and shouldn't have to as it was in pristine condition. I have emailed them the photos I took and am disputing this.

Any advice?
  • mobilejunkie
    edited 1 September 2018 at 12:26PM
    Options
    The only thing you can do is dig in. Get them to cancel the contract while you still can and if then it's up to them to pursue you. I had several occasions when I had to go down the legal route for Cashback a few years ago. They always paid up before I issued. Several other people did the same thing with my guidance, with the same result. I actually had some sympathy because a major network stopped supplying them. Rather than go bust they carried on, which meant I could ensure we got all the Cashback.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 August 2018 at 9:08AM
    Options
    jnm21 wrote: »
    That advice above is wrong - ASA will only deal with things not on their own website.
    A quick review of https://www.asa.org.uk/codes-and-rulings/rulings.html shows the ASA do treat a company's own website as advertising and do take action.

However, if problems extend beyond pure advertising issues, a complaint to Trading Standards is called for.

pmduk wrote: »
    Trading Standards doesn't take complaints directly from the public now.
    This is correct. The central place to register such complaints is the Citizen's Advice national Comsumer Helpline run on behalf of the government. Complaints can be made either via their online complaints form or by calling 0345 404 0506.

They collate complaints and pass them on to the relevant Trading Standards body. This will be the one where the Head Office of whoever you are complaining about is located, not the one where the complainant is located.

Collation by the Consumer Helpline allows a national picture of complaints made against particular companies or across entire business sectors to be analysed, eventually informing as to whether tighter regulation is needed.
  • Any update on this? I’ve had exactly the same the thing. And the phone has never left the house.

“Good afternoon Martin,

Thank you for your email.

I have checked the order and can see that we have received the phone. However, our returns team have noted that there are scratches on the back.

Therefore, there will be a charge to cancel which will be approximately a third of the value of the phone. I have contacted our returns team to ask for the exact amount.

Alternatively, we can send the phone back to you and the contract will continue.

Kind regards
    Matilda
    Customer Services

Affordablemobiles.co.uk Care Team

Help Track Order @affordablemobiles Terms”
  • Lisa_1
    Options
    Any update on your issue? This is the exactly email i recieced from them! I had taken pictures of the phone before i sent it back & they have sent me pictures of a completely different phone - i raises a complaint with them in august and have not heard anything back & they have not cancelled my contract therefore vodaphone keep emailing me asking for the funds - which im not paying as i dont have the phone
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Lisa_1 wrote: »
    Any update on your issue? This is the exactly email i recieced from them! I had taken pictures of the phone before i sent it back & they have sent me pictures of a completely different phone - i raises a complaint with them in august and have not heard anything back & they have not cancelled my contract therefore vodaphone keep emailing me asking for the funds - which im not paying as i dont have the phone

Then unless and until you get them to correct it your credit files will be wrecked for the next 6 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure