Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• Reue
    Reue Posts: 569 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 11:51AM
    Options
    PEJ9 wrote: »
    MSE says you can change supplier within 50 days of your fixed tariff ends without incurring exit fees. I've just checked with British Gas and they've told me exit fees will apply until after the end date of the current tariff.

My welcome email specifically states:

If you switch to another energy supplier before 15th August 2017 we'll charge you an exit fee of £20 for electricity and £20 for gas. We'll collect exit fees before any other amounts you owe us, either from payments you make or from your credit balance.

Also in the email they sent me about my tariff ending soon:

b3.gif If you are thinking about switching from this tariff
    We hope you'll decide to stay with us but, as your fixed contract is ending, you can move to a different supplier without any notice or paying an exit fee.

Whoever you spoke to at British Gas clearly hasn't got a clue.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whoever you spoke to at British Gas clearly hasn't got a clue

What bothers me with all these large organisations who state one thing and implement another!

So many times a fee or charge is incorrectly made and it takes ages to sort this out despite assurances from company support representatives

Imagine if there is a dispute in this case and you want to switch. The new company will see an unpaid charge on your account even if it should never have been applied in the first case. I had this with a telecom company and it is so frustrating when you are in the right!

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    PEJ9 wrote: »
    MSE says you can change supplier within 50 days of your fixed tariff ends without incurring exit fees. I've just checked with British Gas and they've told me exit fees will apply until after the end date of the current tariff.

BG phone staff are lying AGAIN. Moneysavingexpert.com has reported BG to OFGEM, please read http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/09/british-gas-charges-customer-exit-fees-to-switch-tariff-within-penalty-free-switching-window
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    After mulling over the news yesterday of what turned out to be a disappointing Collective Switch deal from EDF, I switched to Bulb Energy via the CEC.

I've already received my welcome email and attached letter from Bulb informing me that I'll be switched over to them on 27th Sep.

This is a good start so far.

I'll be keeping an eye out for British Gas attempting to charge me exit fees! :eek:
  • superbigal36
    Options
    I've not read the full thread, but am another for being dismayed that this tarriff is advertised by that "cheeky fibber Martin" being the lowest of the big 6, to then find an identical offer from Npower much lower.

I assume Npower will being doing rather well out of people currently searching these parameters.
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    quoit wrote: »

I'll be keeping an eye out for British Gas attempting to charge me exit fees! :eek:
    I'll be watching for exit fees after my TogetherEnergy switch as well!
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just taken the plunge and switched to npower with the £60 cashback from TCB. I'm disappointed but also not surprised that MSE couldn't negotiate a lucrative offer like they did with BG last year, but overall, with cashback included, I'll effectively pay the same (perhaps a smidge more) overall for the year as my current BG fix.
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    The cheaper Big Six npower tariff didn't appear when I did a comparison. I guess that is down to my location and how much energy I use.

The disappointing EDF collective fix was the cheapest tariff of the Big Six on offer... disappointing in the sense that it has replaced a non-collective EDF tariff which was available up to a few days ago.
  • mrscirocco
    Options
    Anyone investigated ThePeoples Energy Company - looks to be one of the cheapest but doesn't appear in mse comparisons
  • sam1974_2
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    EDF online is cheaper than npower, before I take into account cashbacks. Mind my monthly use estimates is under half yours :eek:

Electric useage 11939 - gas usage 7413 kWh

Cannot fine good electric prices anywhere :( gas prices not much different tbh
    mrscirocco wrote: »
    Anyone investigated ThePeoples Energy Company - looks to be one of the cheapest but doesn't appear in mse comparisons

Not cheap here.

British gas currently £1,381/year

Npower quote £1,754/yr

The people's energy quote £1,886.11
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business