Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Options

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 February 2017 at 10:10PM
    Options
    Back to reality after a week away. Cashed out another £10 voucher on a survey site. That's half a door handle :D

Another survey sites that's normally really good is annoying, it keeps not recognising my password, even though it's saved. They've recently changed their log in process and it's a pita which is a shame as the £3 a time and odd product here and there is good.

Realised one of my annoying jobs that needed some spends and some time was done by the handyman when last here :D bonus :T

Big use up today in kitchen :
    Last of jar of mincemeat and some LO pastry made 6 mince pies and a mincemeat turnover :D also mixed in teaspoon of fig jam that was lurking at bottom/sides of the jar
    Used last pickled onion (one of those giant kahunas;)) in my fake he1nz soup
    Used last of spinach (altready on its way to wilting :rotfl:) in pork thing for tea
    2 manky bananas, 6 years OOD dates and 5 years OOD pecans in cake in BM
    OOD malt extract in malt loaf (threw last of sultanas in there too)
    Froze a pack of beetroot (you know the fresh stuff in vinegar) not sure if this will work but I wasn't chucking it away.

Will freeze some of the cake/malt bread (honest :rotfl:)

Checked my monthly to do list and doing OK. Looked at march to see what I can add on. Had surprise e mail from friend in the big smoke whose invited us down at short notice at the weekend. They said we can stay at theirs and they'll cook. So we're going :D fuel paid by work so should be low cost and a nice night away.

Washing drying nicely, despite no/limited heating. Will continue with the 'shuffle'

Found the tea bags, coffee and sugar I bought from our stay away that were'freebies' will use up as I go.

No news on OH job they've bizarrely not said anything aft he said no and they said they would need to make it formal. He is looking at job boards, just doesn't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fryer!

He has sorted out a load of dvds and I've listed some and DH has listed for the first time too :T: happy days.
  • PurpleFairy26
    edited 27 February 2017 at 1:34PM
    Options
    We had a great night away with friends. We bought some booze and flowers to contribute to the hospitality but other than that it was free:j work paid for fuel, friends did lots of lovely food and we walked and went to free entertainment/ long walk. :D

I'm glad I got some stock and a small piece of salmon out of freezer on Saturday though as tea was fairly quick last night and I used up some broccoli that was starting to look worse for wear in a yummy risotto :j

Didn't have to make DD packed lunch today as they're having takeaway pizza apparently ;)

Need to tax DH car but have the money stashed in bills account. Turned grey and dark here, so will be drying washing on airer. Need to get something out for tea, will get something for tomorrow too, so we're not caught out. Determined to keep food spends as low as possible this month - freezer (s:o) fairly full, need to get them empty so a) I can get my plastic boxes back for more leftovers and b) I would ideally like to turn one of them off if I can to minimise electricity spends

Found out gym now does yoga included in membership (they didn't used to) DH and I might go Thursday if we can.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Didn't really fancy anything for tea. Girls had soup, DH had some left over corned beef on toast and so I got a muffin out of the freezer that I had some ham in. Did get sausages out for tomorrow and a portion of lasagne for me to take to work for lunch.

Bought DH car tax online. Paid by DD. The payment won't come out for 2 weeks but it'll still be taxed from 1st. Better in my account than theirs :T

Made a list of cards I need between now and end of may. Wrote a card for someone, will post tomrrow, already have a stamp. We're having our will done through the free wills network, made some updates to first draft and will send back tomorrow. Added some things to march to do list to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Another £300 in regular saver today. 3 more to go :D
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Weird re OH's job. Bit bizarre really. Has he asked any more or is he just keeping quiet?

Looking like steady progress PF..well done. Like the sound of the Yoga...hope you find the time to go
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Weird re OH's job. Bit bizarre really. Has he asked any more or is he just keeping quiet?

Looking like steady progress PF..well done. Like the sound of the Yoga...hope you find the time to go

He's kept quiet TBH. However, when he got home this morning he has been told by someone else that his boss is going to speak to him when he's back from holiday next week. We'll see.

We've got a big decision over the next month to make that will have an impact on lots of things one way or the other. Work thing will form part of the outcome without a doubt.

Had pancakes for tea :D one of my favourite foods ever, so would have been rude not too

Got £5.74 refund for some miscalculated interest on my n3xt account. They paid 8% interest shame my savings account isn't at the same rate :rotfl:

Have been planning what I need to sow some vegetables this year. Most of what I need is my time and some planning, have some seeds to use up, they're out of date but I'll give it a whirl. I do need some seed potatoes, though.

Last few bills to go out before payday on Friday. March. Springtime. Lovely :A hope it will bring lots of lovely days and spring flowers.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    new radiator fitted in DD room today, another room on way to being finished. Carpet already booked for 2 weeks time. Will pay the man tonight from house savings. So far we have done this room entirely from savings/ things we have sold, including plastering, new skirting, door, door frame, purpose built cupboard, a couple of floorboards replaced and paint. Still have lighting to replace (fairly straightforward as just a straight swap) and wardrobes (the later will probably test the savings pot :o)

Tomorrow is payday :j

checked tax code as had an e-mail :money: looks good for 2017. Despite them telling me different when I called, it does appear that they have double charged me for free fuel. This should mean that a) I will get a rebate when I do this years return and b) I should have a noticeable difference in my pay post April :T

Payday tomorrow and progress this month made:

only 3 months of fixed saving until we've done it for a year - that gone quick
    tomorrow payment to EF will mean were in 1 month away from passing target 1 :D
    We've more than £1000 in easy to get to savings for the first time even if we paid off all our debt, we've another nearly £2k in tax bill savings set aside for this tax year (all in high interest too)
    We've been away for a long weekend this month all paid for in cash
    DH new account opened, should get £125 this month for that :D

Progress stalled:

on 1p reducing challenge - I knew this would be challenging in Feb with going away. Good news is I've tracked how much short I am and will overpay this month

Other good progress is on our food bill, using stuff we have. This is our aim for this month as to how low our spends can be and how empty our freezer can be at the end of March. Also aiming to use things from use up box too. Happy days.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on all the house progress, and the savings too.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    DH done some work in the girls room and planning on doing more tomorrow, will need to,pop to DIY shop for a few bits, but we want to do it properly. Have some money on a gift card which will go toward some of it.

Carpet down this Friday not next :eek: no room for slacking this week then ;) project use up continues, 2 Bradley apples, 5 frozen raspberries and half a punnet of frozen from fresh blueberries In a crumble. More meat gone from freezer as I made lasagna for te. Will do a roast tomorrow, with sliced roast meat from freezer. I've taken a chunk of soda bread out of freezer, is taking up room. Think it may be hard when it defrosts, if so will breadcrumb it for stuffing. If not are, will have it with soup for lunch tomorrow.

Need to go to wholesalers for some storecupboard stuff, will possibly pop tomorrow.

Managed £1.50 on 1poll with some screening type surveys that you couldn't get screened out off. Nearly at £35 :D hubby very close to 40 :T

Will try and do some batch cooking tomorrow to get ahead for the week. Maybe some cakes :o

Thinking of trying money hub on a trial for the analysis but bailed the sign up when it asked for my bank log in to import the transactions. Quick g00gle suggests it's ok but Something to ponder. Views welcome ;)

DH sold two items on fleabay. One sold, other payment pending need to synchronise accounts this weekend and make sure money is in the right place for new accounts.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Money all in the right place :D batch cooking completed, including fake he1nz soup for lunches this week. Muffins [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were great ;) managed to use some more of my mammoth bag of frozen blueberries. Going to investigate making jam or chutney with strawberries /pineapple now I have stashed some jam jars.

Popped to local discount store today and bought 2 raspberry plants and about half a dozen presents for present box :T

Also managed to do lots of work as was working from home :T good start to the week.

DH and I made a huge decision last night, one that has been ongoing for some time. Probably the most difficult ever. One of the hardest things is only time will tell if it's right.

Not much more to be done in the smalls room, so I have started pulling wallpaper off ours :o I can start prepping it whilst putting furniture back in to the smalls and doing finishing touches.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hugs PF. I hope that now you have made your choice things get easier.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure