PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Long time lurker first time poster alert.

Apparently it's believed that the shops will start to see the Brexit run on the shops beginning Thursday when people get paid for the first time after Christmas.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options

Apparently it's believed that the shops will start to see the Brexit run on the shops beginning Thursday when people get paid for the first time after Christmas.

That is interesting, mind you when I was a young mum January pay was already spent before I got it so it would have had to wait for February.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I do wonder if we have a bit of a short, sharp shock where supermarkets aren't as full as they usually are, if it will make people think about impulse spending and the quantity of products they buy? What a healthy adult actually needs to live on is a fraction of the amount piled in trolleys most weeks.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options

I'm expecting a bit of panic to set in at the end of March, if it's a no deal Brexit. I'm planning to complete my preparations by mid March, just to be on the safe side. However, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening, and will bring forward this date, if I think it's needed.
    I do wonder if we have a bit of a short, sharp shock where supermarkets aren't as full as they usually are, if it will make people think about impulse spending and the quantity of products they buy? What a healthy adult actually needs to live on is a fraction of the amount piled in trolleys most weeks.

Sadly, I don't think it'll do any good. This is the country where someone called the police because KFC ran out of chicken. If shelves do empty and can't be swiftly replenished, I think people will just get angry. I predict the ones who say that empty shelves are 'Project Fear', will be the angriest of the lot!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I predict the ones who say that empty shelves are 'Project Fear', will be the angriest of the lot!

I agree, time will tell.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I'm expecting a bit of panic to set in at the end of March, if it's a no deal Brexit. I'm planning to complete my preparations by mid March, just to be on the safe side. However, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening, and will bring forward this date, if I think it's needed.

I'm a member of a Brexit prepping group & somebody posted on there that Thursday is crunch day ....whether this is bs or a genuine advance notice I don't know.

Anyway I've got a Brexit preparation delivery coming Wednesday....just in case Armageddon is announced Thursday lol
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Travellers come in many nationalities, rather prejudiced to suggest they are all Irish. I think there are more Irish people in Ireland than travellers in Britain.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 January 2019 at 2:51PM
    Options
    Another one here who is completely fed up to the back teeth with it all. It seems like a Pandora box has been opened and we are never going to hear the end of it.

And in the meantime, Rome burns........

My DIL is Venezuelan. Her parents and one sister are still there, plus various aunts and uncles.

Although the reasons are different Venezuela has been experiencing shortages for some time now and my DIL often sends them "Red Cross" Parcels. She has to do it via Spain otherwise the military open the parcels and steal the contents.

If you have seen the news this week you will see that the situation is now very serious. There are serious food shortages and the poor are starting to starve. Inflation is through the roof. There is violence in the streets. My daughters family do not live anywhere near Caracas but they have turned their home into a fortress. Her parents have more or less been forced out of their respective jobs as university professors, dictators don't like academics. :eek:

From being one of the richest countries in Central and South America their economy has totally collapsed and the country is now a basket case. Both America and Russia are now set to wade in and "help" the opposing factions. (And help themselves to the oil in the process noi doubt) Another Vietnam in the making.......:(

The only positive note is DILs family do at least have EU passports so they can get out if push comes to shove.

Will the U.K. suffer a similar economic collapse, it really is hard to say but, at the very least, I think we can expect rising prices - especially if the £ has to be devalued.

It must be so hard for businesses to prepare though, because of the uncertainty.

The sooner the situation is resolved, whatever the resolution might be, the sooner we can pick up the pieces and get on with our lives.

It is all just getting so ugly now. The country is so divided on this issue that it is becoming a threat to peace and stability.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...I think we should all check our cars out and if our tyres are on the edge of being legal, then get them changed whilst they are still easily available. There is nothing worse than being in a position of having to buy something at a vastly inflated price just due to lack of availability. Maybe now would be a good time to get your boiler serviced.
    The tyres you might need to buy will very likely be made in China, Korea, (a.n. other Far East country), India or Turkey. All will arrive in the UK in containers at deep sea container ports like Felixstowe or Southampton, having never touched EU soil.

What makes you think that tyres won't be 'easily available' post-Brexit?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    What makes you think that tyres won't be 'easily available' post-Brexit?

Michelin, French Innit?:D;);)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback