PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »

My shopping budget is just not covering our needs now. I either have to apportion more to it or try to claw it back someway. I have decided to have a good look at our needs and try to make more in the way of changes. I am concerned I have to say but we are quite well off compared to a few years ago and we do have choice that isn't basic. I can make changes I just have some health limitations now that need different eating. I mean shoving a load of lentils in to eak out mince is nee good for a windy colon :rotfl:

We're the same Fuddle, the budget is quite a bit up on previous years . I am thinking as I get more familiar with this way of eating that I'll be able to make more savings and reduce our expenditure, but frankly as we are presently affording it and it's working for health, I'm not freaking out over it. I think when you make significant changes and effort in one area (health), sometimes other areas like budget have to slide a little.

As for the lentils, that's why in Indian cooking you often see asofetida (hing) as a dhal ingredient, cuts the backdraft :p
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's best to introduce pulses (and any new foods) gradually so that you develop the appropriate gut bacteria to deal with them. That tends to reduce the windiness and bloating.

Lots of people are finding that their grocery budgets need increasing at the moment, not helped by the fact that there are shortages of salad crops due to the lack of rain.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Fuddle our budget has increased as well. We're eating more fish and relying far less on cheese and eggs for protein. I'm also trying to keep our carbs high quality, sometimes that is cheap, sometimes it isn't. We can presently afford it and although it is currently costing us the equivalent of 2 weeks house savings per year to increase the budget, we both think that is worth it. I'll be doing a few things this summer to help with that though--making homemade lentil burgers (probably not the best option for you :p ) grating big blocks of the low fat cheese, portioning it into two servings and freezing it (it doesn't last as long as normal cheese and this makes it easier to stick to portion control on a busy weeknight, buying chicken in bulk at the butchers and portioning and freezing it etc. It will still cost us more though. I'll also make a couple of recipes that take ages and make loads and freeze those in portions, OH will make and freeze pizza dough etc. It means we don't eat takeaways and are less likely to pick up something quick--good for health and budget. I've always thought a meal can be two of the following: cheap, healthy, tasty, easy/quick. Sometimes you find the rare recipe that is three but I don't think I've ever found all 4 :rotfl:

I've just come back from a jog and need to get cleaned up for town. Tuna on rye for lunch with chopped veggies and salmon on a buckwheat noodle Asian-style salad for tea tonight. I don't really know what I mean by Asian-style. I shred cabbage, cook some edamame, slice spring onions, carrots and herbs and add in vinegar, soya sauce, ginger and garlic to cold buckwheat noodles. It tastes good. Lemon grass would also probably be nice but I don't have any in.

Monna :rotfl: That is exactly the sort of thing I'd do, although I've become much more serious about my gardening. I even check spacing guidelines now. Marvelously I have discovered that following the directions yields superior results to the whimsical method. I have not yet bothered to note this down in my gardening journal and will therefore probably need to learn this again four or five times.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is a combination of choosing nuts, seeds, muesli etc over biscuits, crisps, cheap sugary cereals. It's rolled out across the whole family. It's using spelt flour at £3a bag instead of basics flour that's well under a £and and extra 0.5kg. Eldest DD who used to eat like a sparrow eats incredibly well now and is always hungry. It's me having different milk and yoghurt (used to be goats but now trying lactose free) to everyone else, at a higher price tag. It's buying 5% fat mince at double to price to the higher content but cheaper one I used to get. And ultimately its cutting out the refined carb fillers like crumpets and tea cakes for fruit and dried fruit and really expensive naked bars. This is on my to do list - learning how to make snack pieces that are low in refined carbs and sugar. The wartime books use a lot of cooking fat(which I presume is lard) and that's no good for my dodgy beating thing in my chest. Prices across the board have increased as well so an accumulation of many factors see me scratching my head. Dietary education has cost us a fortune:rotfl:

Heck that all sounds like I'm negative and putting barriers up. I don't mean to be a moaning Mini. I will suss it all out... at the expense of the housework though, unfortunately. ;)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oops. I'd forgotten that it is the 100th celebration of the RAF.
    My darling FIL was a Group Captain during the war and being a fluent French speaker was drafted into SOE. He flew Lysanders and dropped agents behind enemy lines. My stepMIL was one of those agents.
    I was incredibly close to them both and am so proud of them.

That's my morning then.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fuddle the increased cost is worth it for a healthier household all round, I'm sure :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    It's not Floss. I only have a certain amount I can spend on shopping. If that goes up then other areas suffer. It's spiralling and I have to claw something back.

Supermarket shopping is a problem. I need to buy in bulk I think, starting with the flour. Right head down again. ;)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fuddle - not sure if it would be any help but I sometimes use bran to bulk out mince and some of my home baking. It doesn't seem to create wind but it does make for for quicker 'transition' though ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have a look at Shipton Mill & [URL="FWP Matthews White Spelt Flour 1.5 kg (Pack of 5) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GPZ0PM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0ZirBb36JZJ5J"]Am@zon[/URL]...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    To then be greeted by that wretched little Dragon, or whatever it is, thumbing its nose and saying triumphantly, " You are offline," is enough to make a saint spit.
    Nooooo! Can't be a Dragon, they're lovely! It's probably a Wyvern, they can be right ornery little wotnots. :rotfl:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback