Credit rating help needed.

Options
i’ve recently just found out my dad has taken out a credit card in my name 3 years ago & not paid it. i now have a ccj in my name from june 2018 that i’ve just been made aware of and have started to make payments on it. i’m hoping to get a joint mortgage with my OH in a few years time but i’m terrified this will effect it.

any ideas on what will help? :(

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have two choices.

Either report it as fraud and have it removed, or pay it yourself.

In pure financial terms, the first option is the one to go for. A CCJ will limit your credit options hugely.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree with zx81 - what has your Dad said about it? The reason he done it, any offer of help to pay it off? It is fraud at the end of the day but it needs to be addressed otherwise it may happen again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 17 March 2019 at 10:27PM
    Options
    The ccj will remain on your credit files for 6 years. If you repay it will be shown as settled but not removed.
    Presumably your credit files also show a default for the account, This will also remain on your credit files for 6 years from the date of default.
    Report your dad to Action Fraud and the police. This may help you to get these things removed from your files if your story is credible and you are believed but no guarantees.
    eslb wrote: »
    i’ve recently just found out my dad has taken out a credit card in my name 3 years ago & not paid it.
    Why did he do this?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you may have shot yourself in the foot OP. By paying the debt attached to the CCJ you are accepting that the debt is yours.

The correct course of action is to report the matter as fraud and look to have the CCJ removed. A CCJ on your credit history will not only limit you options in terms of a mortgage but also result in any offer being at a higher interest rate.
  • eslb
    eslb Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    thanks all for your help. unfortunately i don’t think i can inform police on my father so will have to deal with the ccj :(
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eslb wrote: »
    thanks all for your help. unfortunately i don’t think i can inform police on my father so will have to deal with the ccj :(

Have you asked him why he did it ?

Is he likely to do it again ?
  • eslb
    Options
    i highly doubt he will do, or i hope not. he doesn’t seem apologetic i don’t think he understands the severity of it
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think that your dad is very lucky and you are a very lovely person. By the time you come to apply for a mortgage you could have paid it all off and it will drop off your report after six years anyway. If your partner's credit file is squeaky clean, you should be okay. Good luck to you, you really deserve it. I think you're fabulous.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • eslb
    Options
    thank you so much, i really appriciate that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure