Options

Comments

• melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oldman1960 wrote: »
    hi,

please can you confirm that my debt is wiped on my 50th birthday? this is only a few weeks away. is the debt wiped automatically or do i have to inform the slc? i attended uni between 1995 and 1998.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/RepayingStudentLoansCoursesStartingBefore1998/DG_10034744
    look at the loan cancellations section
    :happyhear
  • SavingMoney_z
    Options
    I hate riots they are 100% wrong usually:mad:
    Zzzz :j
  • SavingMoney_z
    Options
    thanx for all ur help
    Zzzz :j
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Oldman1960 wrote: »
    hi,

please can you confirm that my debt is wiped on my 50th birthday? this is only a few weeks away. is the debt wiped automatically or do i have to inform the slc? i attended uni between 1995 and 1998.

I'm in the same situation as you, although my loans have been sold to HSL. I telephoned them yesterday and they confirmed that my loans had been cancelled and that I'd be getting a letter to confirm this. They also said that I would get my normal deferment letter from SLC but that I shouldn't send it back. They said that I needed to take no action, although I made a note of the person I spoke to and the date and time of the call.

Hope this helps.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just may as well get this out here, but I'm leaving my job on Friday the 19th to start a new role elsewhere. If anyone does require help, I'll try and pop back but do not expect me to be around a great deal until the new year while I get settled in.

I'll also not be able to take on any new caseloads now.
  • hesslelad
    Options
    :mad:H:mad:i , sent my application in to student loans with all my dads original supporting documents of earnings etc and they have lost them , they did the same thing last year with my documents birth certificate , marriage cert etc etc and lost those , so i sent this years by recorded signed for delivery and they have lost those even though the proof of delivery is available on royal mail's website , i have rang them and just get told to ring back in two more weeks , when i did ame thing again give it two more weeks ,not sure what to do next ? does anyone have any ideas
  • VBB
    VBB Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2010 at 8:31PM
    Options
    Hi Taiko, Congratulation on your new role. Please this is follow up on the appeal. Any advice regarding how to escalate apeal to stage will be appreciated. SEE RESPONSE FROM SLC BELOW.

When determining a student's eligibility for finance, an application is
    assessed in accordance with The Education (Student Support) (No.2)
    Regulations 2008 (as amended). Schedule 1, Part 2, Paragraph 2 refers to
    students who are settled within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971,
    which includes those granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) as follows:

Persons who are settled in the United Kingdom

2.—(1) A person who on the first day of the first academic year of the
    course—

(a) is settled in the United Kingdom other than by reason of having
    acquired the right of permanent residence;

(b) is ordinarily resident in England;

(c) has been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands
    throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first
    academic year of the course; and

(d) subject to sub-paragraph (2), whose residence in the United Kingdom and
    Islands has not during any part of the period referred to in paragraph (c)
    been wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

Therefore, for a student to qualify for support by holding Indefinite Leave
    to Remain this must have been granted by the first day of the first
    academic year of their course. As your Indefinite Leave to Remain was
    granted in August 2010 you will remain ineligible for support for the
    duration of your course.

I believe that Student Finance England has applied the Education (Student
    Support) (No.2) Regulations 2008 (as amended) correctly in this case.

MANY THANKS

see your previous message
    I am going to agree with SFE in this instance in making you ineligible, as you were previously eligible as the spouse of a migrant worker. In divorcing, you lost your eligibility.

However, now you have settled status, you are eligible for support under Schedule 1, Part 2(3) of The Education Student Support Regulations 2009. You are entitled from the academic quarter following on from the date of which you were awarded ILR, provided that before the first year of studies you were resident within the UK.

It's a very complex case this, but I do not have time to take it on a personal level. Hopefully this guidance will point you in the right direction. For further information, I suggest you read Paragraphs 71 & 72 of the link below.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I still believe they are interpreting this incorrectly. I'll get back as soon as I can, however I'm trying to sort out a lot at the moment and am in constant meetings.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Options
    Taiko,
    Good luck on you new adventure, I hope your new role is everything you would like it to be and much more too!
  • VBB
    VBB Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Taiko, Very many thanks for taking your precious time. Look forward to hearing from you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback