Prepaid meter dept recovery

Options
Hi, I am just looking for some advice on where I stand regarding a debt recovery on my prepaid meter. I moved into my property in 2011, the meter was already in the property and it's the same machine. As far as I am aware Ive always given actual readings.
9 weeks ago I got my annual statement which showed I owed £400 of which they had already recovered £200. The debt has just appeared, my energy use for the year was paid in full.
The next day I received the debt collection letter stating they would recover the remaining £200 over a couple months through my meter. I contacted Scottish power, customer service looked into it and couldn't see where this debt had come from. The girl said it was due to pre migration through systems? She also called the meter company who told her the amount Ive paid in the 8 years. Which all seemed to add up.
Several phone calls later and 9 weeks of paying the debt back, I was told today by customer service that it's been escalated again and they will call me on Tuesday. The advisor says he thinks it might look like the debt was from 2011. Can they just charge me for this? Should they not provide proof? , unfortunately I don't have my statement from 8 years ago.
Sorry for such a long post

Comments

• Kitchen_Sink
    Options
    Alana1234 wrote: »
    Hi, I am just looking for some advice on where I stand regarding a debt recovery on my prepaid meter. I moved into my property in 2011, the meter was already in the property and it's the same machine. As far as I am aware Ive always given actual readings.
    9 weeks ago I got my annual statement which showed I owed £400 of which they had already recovered £200. The debt has just appeared, my energy use for the year was paid in full.
    The next day I received the debt collection letter stating they would recover the remaining £200 over a couple months through my meter. I contacted Scottish power, customer service looked into it and couldn't see where this debt had come from. The girl said it was due to pre migration through systems? She also called the meter company who told her the amount Ive paid in the 8 years. Which all seemed to add up.
    Several phone calls later and 9 weeks of paying the debt back, I was told today by customer service that it's been escalated again and they will call me on Tuesday. The advisor says he thinks it might look like the debt was from 2011. Can they just charge me for this? Should they not provide proof? , unfortunately I don't have my statement from 8 years ago.
    Sorry for such a long post

Yes, they must know where the debt originates from.

How did they recover half of the debt if they had not applied it to the meter??? :huh:

Anyway, ask them for a full explanation. Follow the sup[pliers complaint procedure if necessary
  • Kitchen_Sink
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

I don't think so. I understood it to be electricity, or possibly mains gas, supplied through a pre-payment meter :)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think so. I understood it to be electricity, or possibly mains gas, supplied through a pre-payment meter :)

In which case it looks like the OP has posted on the wrong board.
  • Alana1234
    Options
    Hi sorry it's an electricity meter. Sorry if I posted in wrong forum
  • Kitchen_Sink
    Kitchen_Sink Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 August 2019 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    In which case it looks like the OP has posted on the wrong board.

If you think the thread may receive an improved response elsewhere, why not try to assist the OP and ask the friendly BG to move it to the board you think it will be better placed upon? :)
    MSE requests you give new posters a chance! Please be especially nice

Of course, the BG may not agree to your request ;)
  • Kitchen_Sink
    Kitchen_Sink Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 August 2019 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Alana1234 wrote: »
    Hi sorry it's an electricity meter. Sorry if I posted in wrong forum

Don't worry about it.

It seems to be getting lots of readership here, and I have already posted my advice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure